More thoughts on the tempo change/MIDI region bug...

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Post Reply
Alteredmoods
Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:53 pm
Location: Independent
Contact:

More thoughts on the tempo change/MIDI region bug...

Post by Alteredmoods » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:09 pm

So, as has been discussed in the forums already, I have run into the bug where MIDI notes shift and trim after making a tempo change.

Except, I didn't make any tempo changes at all.

I merely went into the Tempo dialog and adjusted the metronome settings.

I did two separate projects. One where I adjusted the metronome settings (to have a count-in of 1 and to play while recording and playing), and one where I didn't.

In the project where I configured the metronome, I created four MIDI tracks and drew notes into a single region. After doing that I moved to the next track and did the same thing. By the time I'd gotten to the 4th track, midi notes had shifted in the first track.

In the project where I did not enter that dialog, I have created at least 4 MIDI tracks so far with no changes to the midi in other regions.

I also noticed that the metronome cuts out pretty reliably when you loop through the timeline, and only comes back after you stop and restart the playhead, only to drop out again shortly thereafter.

I haven't determined whether or not configuring metronome settings to their default removes the bug.

Alteredmoods
Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:53 pm
Location: Independent
Contact:

Re: More thoughts on the tempo change/MIDI region bug...

Post by Alteredmoods » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:06 pm

This is interesting...

I started a new project, so far 5 (all MIDI) tracks. One track is IAA, the rest are AUv3.

Everything seemed to be going swimmingly until I used the quantize menu to shift some notes together and give them a little swing. Then shortly after that, the shifting notes problems started.

I was able to undo all the way back to before I did the quantize. Haven’t moved forward because I’m a bit concerned the notes will start mysteriously shifting again. The problem affected multiple tracks.

Alteredmoods
Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:53 pm
Location: Independent
Contact:

Re: More thoughts on the tempo change/MIDI region bug...

Post by Alteredmoods » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:47 am

I think I might be able to reproduce this.

Has nothing at all to do with Tempo as far as I can tell. Perhaps that’s another bug entirely.

Anyway, here’s what I did.

1. Reboot iPad
2. Make sure apps are closed
3. Start Auria Pro
4. New Project, all defaults
5. Add MIDI track
6. Use editor to draw in MIDI notes. Default window size is about 5 - 6 bars. Make a pattern you can recognize has changed
7. Check to see notes appear as expected.
8. Add MIDI track
9. Use editor to draw at least a 2-bar long MIDI note.
10. Check to see that notes have either shifted or disappeared in the other track. The longer the note you draw, the worse the shifting/lengthening. The bug seems to trigger at 2 bars’ length.

Just repro’d it after another hard reboot.

Other observations:

* Depending on the length of the note I draw, notes in other tracks either shift in length or disappear entirely.
* If I draw a note less than 2 bars and then lengthen it, it does not appear to affect notes in other tracks.
* If I draw a note less than 2 bars, then draw a note longer than 2 bars, the shifting/lengthening occurs.
* I haven’t tested whether or not this problem occurs if you record MIDI versus drawing it.

Conclusion:

This seems like memory is being stepped on somewhere in the MIDI editor. Metadata for MIDI in one track appears to be overwritten by whatever MIDI I am creating in the focused track. Whatever the case, MIDI is too unreliable at this stage to attempt song creation and so I’ll have Auria simply be my mixing desk for now, until this problem gets resolved.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests