Fabfilter midi automation

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Richtowns
Expert

Fabfilter midi automation

Post by Richtowns » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:18 pm

Im trying to automate different functions in fabfilter q2 and c2 using external midi controller and failing. Im pretty sure I have the settings correct.

My first attempt was with a nanokontrol v1. I checked Auria Pro was able to the controller was enabled to receive notes in core midi inputs in the midi settings but when I go to the plugin no midi receive 'flashing' is shown next to midi learn.

Ive since read the manual and tried many different combos and the only way I can get any fabfilter plugin to recognise midi input is by recording it first into one of the auria tracks. That does the trick but is not very useful as a way to control the plugins.

It looks to me like the midi doesnt get passed through to the fabfilters but before I delete and reinstall I thought Id put it out there for some kind person to confirm.

Ive done restarts and tried on two different ipads (air2 and mini2) that are both running 10.3.3.

Please help!

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: Fabfilter midi automation

Post by Anthony Alves » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:58 pm

Don’t delete Auria. Here is what is happening. Direct CC control in all Fabfilter plugins was possible before Auria introduced midi in the Pro version. Now that midi is available in AuriaPro all midi data must pass through a midi channel. This new way of handling midi kicked out the direct midi communication to all the Fabfilter plugins. So with much testing for a workaround, I was able to come up with a solution. Here are the steps.
1. Insert a Fabfilter plugin into the audio track you wish to control.
2. Create a midi track.
3. Tap FX on the midi track. Here you will insert and direct your Hardware midi CC controler.
Select No instrument ( scroll to top and select None) defaults to Stereo Grand .
For the midi input port, select your midi controler as the input source and midi channel to ALL unless you know the midi transmit channel from the midi controler.
4. For the output port scroll till you see the Fabfilter plugin name you want to control and select it.
5. Make sure the midi track is in rec ready mode ( red light flashing ) or the midi will not be transmitted to the plugin.

Now you can midi learn all the FBfilter knob and button controls as usual. When you press record in the project all the CC data will be recorded into the midi track. For recording multiple passes on the same midi channel ,select Edit/Midi Record Overdub Mode in the Editor window so that you can layer the CC data on just one midi track.
You don’t need the midi track in record ready mode to playback the CC data to the plugin just to record it. You can also edit the CC data in the midi track editor by taping on the piano keys icon.
Cheers and Good luck.

Richtowns
Expert

Post by Richtowns » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:50 pm

Brilliant! Thank you very much Anthony.
I dont think I got that memo :lol:

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:28 pm

Richtowns wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:50 pm
Brilliant! Thank you very much Anthony.
I dont think I got that memo :lol:
No problem. Glad I could help. There’s many tricks about Auria that aren’t in the manual.
Here is my video on the subject made last year but very relevant. Cheers.
https://youtu.be/fBw5zFWGkig