Previously recorded MIDI changed when moving / editing region

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

mdarby
Expert

Previously recorded MIDI changed when moving / editing region

Post by mdarby » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:58 pm

Hello,

I am experiencing bugs when recording MIDI from an external keyboard. The composition I am recording is complicated so I am recording in multiple takes, a measure at a time. That is, record a measure, practice and plan the next measure, press record, perform the next part.

I tried using the MIDI overwrite feature to record each new measure. However, previously recorded material seems to have been time-stretched making it off-beat. MIDI recordings which were perfectly in time were changed to become off beat. I thought this might have something to do with my having a tempo map, but this happens even within a song section with no tempo changes.

I went to far as to create a second MIDI track to "store" previously recorded MIDI. I would drag a complete measure down to this second track, just so it wouldn't be corrupted, then try to record the new measure. However, even the simple act of moving a measure down from one track to the other is changing the recorded MIDI data. Specifically, if I have a measure which starts within a region (that is, not at the left edge) when I move this region down to the second track the MIDI visibly shifts. I can undo / redo and see it jumping around.

I know there are known MIDI issues, but this really makes the program unusable. I don't really want to enter notes manually because the part has a very syncopated rhythm which I can play but not necessarily count into a grid. To get around this problem, I have to record the audio output and lose the MIDI data. This is not what I want to do.

Is this a known issue? Is there a fix? I posted a similar question in the General board, but didn't have any replies.

This still might have something to do with a tempo map, even though I am recording only within a region that has no tempo changes.

Thanks,
Michael

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Previously recorded MIDI changed when moving / editing region

Post by Rim » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:33 pm

Hi Michael,

I'm pretty certain that what you're experiencing is related to having a tempo map. I just created a new project without a tempo map and had no issues when overdubbing or moving MIDI regions around. I'll see if I can get this to happen with a tempo map to see what might be going on.

Rim

mdarby
Expert

Re: Previously recorded MIDI changed when moving / editing region

Post by mdarby » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:39 pm

I think that is right.

I ended up having to copy the region I wanted to record from several instruments, and paste into a new project.

Once I am finished I'll have to Audiocopy and Audiopaste back into the original project.

Thank you.

This particular song started at 60 bpm and shifted to 63 bpm at the bar where my MIDI performance started. I tried recording after the tempo change point, rather than play across it, but that didn't seem to help.