Misaligned MIDI notes in piano roll when entering

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Eighthours
Expert

Misaligned MIDI notes in piano roll when entering

Post by Eighthours » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:33 am

Hey Rim,

This has been the case for a while but I thought I'd finally write to you about it. When entering MIDI notes in Auria Pro's piano roll, they don't always appear in the exact place you put them. They will often appear one grid space to the right of where you placed your finger. Before now, it was easy to imagine this as being due to a fat-fingered error. However, I have been using an Apple Pencil today, and this still happens even though the Pencil is ultra-precise in its positioning. It happens even when I am zoomed in a very long way. It doesn't happen with all MIDI notes and seems random, but it does happen a lot.

Is there anything you can think of that would be causing this? I'm on an iPad Pro 10.5 right now, but it also used to occur on my iPad Air 1.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Misaligned MIDI notes in piano roll when entering

Post by Rim » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:49 am

Sounds like you have snapping turned on. This will automatically snap the notes to the nearest beat, bar, etc.. Check that snapping is set to none.

Rim

Eighthours
Expert

Post by Eighthours » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:55 am

I do want a note to snap to whatever setting the grid is at. I think I can explain the issue better (if it is an issue). When I enter MIDI notes in Cubasis or Ableton, they snap to the beginning of the cell you've tapped in, to whichever grid setting has been assigned. In Auria Pro, though, it looks as if they are being snapped to the 'nearest' grid setting. So if I have the grid set to beats and I tap to enter a note on the left hand side of that beat, it will snap to the left as I would expect. But if I tap to enter a note and the tap is on the RIGHT hand side of that beat, it will snap to the next beat on. Is that the behaviour you would expect? That seems a bit of a weird behaviour to me, as if I'm creating a MIDI note 'anywhere' within a particular grid setting, I would be hoping that it would snap to the grid cell I had tapped in, rather than anywhere else. When it gets to the point where you're entering eighth notes etc, it's very easy to click somewhere from the middle to the right of a grid cell, and then the note snaps to the next cell to the right of where I would be hoping it to be entered.

Does that make sense? Is there any reason why I wouldn't want it to appear directly in the grid cell I'd tapped in? I'm trying to understand the reason for the behaviour, if this is the case.

I can make a video of the different behaviours, if it would help.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:35 am

I understand now, yes - Auria snaps to the nearest grid line (whatever you have set in the snap menu). This is how most desktop DAWs operate. Auria doesn't look at the editor as a series "cells", but rather as a series of grid lines. A good way to look at it is it works exactly the same way that quantize does. Quantize will move a note to the nearest division you have selected, whether that's ahead or behind the current position.

Rim

Eighthours
Expert

Post by Eighthours » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:16 am

Rim wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:35 am
I understand now, yes - Auria snaps to the nearest grid line (whatever you have set in the snap menu). This is how most desktop DAWs operate. Auria doesn't look at the editor as a series "cells", but rather as a series of grid lines. A good way to look at it is it works exactly the same way that quantize does. Quantize will move a note to the nearest division you have selected, whether that's ahead or behind the current position.

Rim
Thanks, Rim. Knowing the reasoning behind this behaviour will help a lot in future when it comes to my MIDI editing. :)