Piano Roll note selection and movement not visible

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

jessecarrigan

Piano Roll note selection and movement not visible

Post by jessecarrigan » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:15 pm

Hi, running into an issue with editing MIDI on the piano roll that has cropped up sudenly. Notes can be selected, moved, and changed, but are not highlighted and the changes are not visible on the piano roll. (They are audible - that is, moving the note around plays the note changes and the position, length, etc. change in the MIDI info window.)

I'm on iOS 10.1.1, iPad Air 2 128GB. Happy to gather more info.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Piano Roll note selection and movement not visible

Post by Rim » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:00 pm

Do you have snapping turned on? The snapping menu is located at the top right. If it's always snapping to a beat or bar division, you might not see that you're moving the note.

Rim

jessecarrigan

Post by jessecarrigan » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:30 pm

Hi Rim, snapping is not turned on (but that was a useful thing to know about, thanks). A little more detail that might be hard to explain, so apologies in advance:

A number of the notes seemed to not be playing in a given MIDI region. I had to tap on them several times to get them to highlight, and then they were movable/alterable again as normal. I did this on a note by note basis, then copied the region over another repeated part that was having the same issue, and it cleared up the problem in that part.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:43 pm

I don't see this kind of behavior here. If you can come up with a step by step list of things to do, starting from a clean project, I could try to duplicate it here. If it is indeed a bug, that's the only way for me to try and fix it.

Rim

krzycrs
Expert

Post by krzycrs » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:39 pm

@jessecarrigan ... Maybe it depends on the drawing mode you're in. Do you have the pencil icon active or inactive?

@Rim ...
I tried to change the length of a highlighted note with the Note length slider until the note nearly vanished by reaching -100, now, having lifted my finger, as I was touching the Nl slider again, this diminished note started to move left and right on changing values and could not be re-expanded to the orig. size.

jessecarrigan

Post by jessecarrigan » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:52 pm

krzycrs wrote:@jessecarrigan ... Maybe it depends on the drawing mode you're in. Do you have the pencil icon active or inactive?
Yes, that mode is active. Good check. It still happens sporadically but tough to consistently reproduce. Having fewer instruments active and freezing tracks seems to help.