Auria MIDI to AU iSEM in AUM crashes Auria

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Atoms4Infants
Expert

Auria MIDI to AU iSEM in AUM crashes Auria

Post by Atoms4Infants » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:51 am

May have found a MIDI bug which may have a some bearing on issue of constitent crash in Auria Pro 2.03.

I'm running IPad Pro OS 9.3.1.

iSEM as AU unit on 2 channels in AUM.
Sending MIDI from Auria on separate MIDI channels 1 and 2 to AUM.
Background audio on.
Will play for a few bars and then Auria will crash every time.

I wondered if the AU implemention is flaky but not able to test this out there aren't that many synths that will run as AU.

Any ideas/feedback appreciated.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Auria MIDI to AU iSEM in AUM crashes Auria

Post by Rim » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:13 pm

There was a bug in Auria 2.03 with Lyra that would cause Auria to be force quit by iOS after 50 seconds while in background mode. Maybe that's what you're seeing? Take Lyra out of your project and see if the problem goes away.

Rim

Atoms4Infants
Expert

Post by Atoms4Infants » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:40 am

Thanks for the reply RIM.

I thought the issue had been resoved with the 2.04 update but Im still having frequent crashes in Auria.

This is my setup:

2 MIDI tracks on separate channels (1 and 2) sending to AUM with iSEM AU on channels 1 and 2 to recieve.
Also Lyra on both tracks. Crash occurs after 30 or so secs. If I remove Lyra from both tracks then seems to be OK with no crashes.

So I'm guessing this bug hasnt been fixed in 2.04?

Also another bug which Im getting is stuck notes in iSEM from the MIDI in Auria. Someone else reported stuck notes in Auria I think. Stuck notes can be turned off by all Notes Off feature in AUM but makes recording any MIDI problematic with this set up. Tried alernate setup with just IAA and Audibus to iSEM and also getting stuck notes which seem to occur when playhead is stopped during a note on message.

By the way thanks for sorting out the triplet snapping issue thats all good now :D

Cheers,
Alex

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:01 am

I'm not aware of anything that will cause a crash with Lyra right now. Is it something duplicatable? If so, let me know exactly how to reproduce it. If I can get it to happen here, it's a lot easier for me to find and fix.

In Lyra, make sure your Release mode is set to Release, not Normal. Normal is causing issues at the moment, so I suggest setting it to Release.

As far as stuck notes, this is probably because the IAA or synth you're using is not listening to the All Notes Off message. Auria sends this when you stop the transport. Since it's a part of the standard MIDI spec, all apps should respond to this message. but it seems that some apps ignore it, and that can cause stuck notes. I suggest contacting the author of that app and letting them know about adding support for listening to All Notes Off.

Rim