Piano roll issues

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

mschenkel
Expert

Piano roll issues

Post by mschenkel » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:02 am

Hi Rim,
today I've being trying to write down, copying from the music sheet, an orchestral piece in MIDI using Auria Pro as a sequencer, and at the moment also as sampler with Lyra.
I am having utterly serious problems with the piano roll snap which is causing every kind of errors as soon as I go on a tripleted grid:
Notes and cursor skip grid lines
I get random glitches when adding notes or trying to modify their length, either with the write tool, the quantized note tool, the adjust note length tool and the fixed length tool. The glitches are more or less these: unselected notes changing length and selected notes changing position and not responding coherently to the adjust note length tool. The work around was to use copy and paste and move without any snap but also this method isn't working that well because from time to time pasting some notes will cause some other to shrink or expand at random.
I thought it could be due to the fact I had made some tempo and signature changes or to the extra long midi clip but happened the same in a completely new project.

Moreover on piano roll issues:
In the quantized note length tool the dotted option actually isn't applying a (noteLength)*3/2 but just halving it.
Overlapping note ends will erase the next note

Running Auria Pro 2.03 on iPad Pro, iOS 9.2.1

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Piano roll issues

Post by Rim » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:06 am

Thanks, I'm not aware of any of these issues, and nothing like this came up in beta, so I'd really love to know more about how to recreate these. Can you please send a detailed step by step list on how to make each problem occur? If I can follow the steps exactly and get the issue to occur, I should be able to fix it right away. A list with every step, starting with Create new project would really help, since often there are several ways to accomplish something, so an exact list is necessary to get to the bottom of a problem.

Thanks,
Rim

mschenkel
Expert

Post by mschenkel » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:40 pm

Open Auria Pro
New Project> 0 tracks, no template 44.1khz
Add 1 MIDI track
Go to arrange view and tap on the keyboard icon to reach piano roll mode
Switch grid snap from none to 1/8T
Input some notes in write mode
At this point what happens is that, no matter what, new notes will be written at 1.1.1 with single tap while with tap&drag if I want to have lets say a 2/8T note I have to scroll way out of the area.

I'll be right back with some new experiments.

EDIT1
Note stretch:
I tap and slightly hold on the left edge of the note. At first the note shrinks to the minimum grid space and when I move my finger away to the right the edge doesn't follow my finger(which is the same thing happening with the cursor).

EDIT2
Further on note stretch:
I input some notes in straight grid snap then switch snap mode to 1/4T trying to short to a correct size for the grid and happens the same thing happened at point 7
Then I try another approach: I toggle write mode off and select with single tap a note then I reach the the note length control. Now the note will be in 2 states: at the original length or it'll be a thin line.

EDIT 3
Region selection:
Now I wanna try with multiple selection. I double tap and hold under the grid line for bar 2 and the highlighted area appears after 1/16T(that is my grid resolution now), width 1 grid unit. It won't get any wider but I can notice there is an offset: when I swipe to the left of my original touch it will highlight the very first 16th.

Now I'm gonna try to reproduce some weird interactions I encountered.

Not what I was looking for but: when I try to move a note it will snap to the first 4 grid division and then skip to the begging of the subsequent bar. Same happens when stretching.
Working with length quantize buttons works but for dotted notes in both straight and triplets, but I guess it's just a mispell(lost by the way to add the original value along with its half).

So I open up the old project since I'm not able to reproduce any other glitch
I select 4 notes(1 triplet on one single note and another longer one on a different note, I copy and paste them. While trying to move them the disappear, couldn't find 'em anywhere.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:12 pm

Thanks. It seems all the issues you detailed are happening only with triplet snapping, am I correct? I can confirm that triplet snap is not working as it should. I've added this to my list.

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:25 pm

Excuse me butting in on this thread, however my question is relevant :)

Can someone explain what these "T" and "D" variants are supposed to do. I understand they're Triplet and Duplet but how should that translate to the snap grid? Is it that, for example, while a standard 1/8 snap will have 8 snap-points per bar, an 1/8 T will have 24 (3x8)? If that is the case then something is indeed amiss at present :)

mschenkel
Expert

Post by mschenkel » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:14 pm

@Rim
Unfortunately it does the same things also with dotted grid.

@Washboy
You don't understand :mrgreen:
D is for Dotted which is a notation in music scores to extend the dotted note by half of its original length(a dotted quarter note is played for 3/8). This could be achieved also with ties but it won't mean the same in terms of expression on sustained instruments such as brass and strings.
T, you were right, is for Triplet. Which is not the same thing as a odd signature as 3/4. Music notation is pretty a math thing so back in the day the sorted out that rhythmic figure where you place a odd rhythm over a straight one(triplets or triplets more in general, are also noted a ratio 3[eight notes]:[played in the same place of]2.

So actually a 1/8T should have 12 steps: 4 groups of 3 1/8th notes(aka the triplets) at the ratio 3:2 and 2*4 makes 8 again.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:15 pm

Thanks for that explanation, @mschenkel :) Yes, you're quite right - I completely forgot my minimal music theory knowledge. Of course Triplet is 3 in the space of 2 - Doh! :oops: Thus, 12 snap points per bar for 1/8T (or perhaps 4?).

But my reference to "Duplet" is actually from the Auria User Guide (pg. 183). So, if Duplet and Dotted are synonymous, in this respect, I guess 1/8D should have 5.33 snap points per bar, right? :? That doesn't seem quite right to me :wink: