crackles and pops on BIAS FX via Apogee Jam96

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

pegleg85
Expert

crackles and pops on BIAS FX via Apogee Jam96

Post by pegleg85 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:25 pm

reposted here because this might be a bug issue..

BIAS FX crackly crackly
Postby pegleg85 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:07 pm

I am using iPad4, BiasFX, Auria 2.03, Apogee Jam96.

I am trying to record from BiasFX into Auria 2.03 and no matter what I do it comes out crackly. There are 3 other tracks in the song thus far: drums (AIFF loops pasted from LoopLoft), bass (iFretless bass), keys (NeoSoul keys - which by the way records MUCH BETTER in Auria 2.03!!) and that is it. No FX on any other track.

I have tried increasing the buffer to 4096. I have disabled all FX (except for BiasFX). I have selected large disk buffer.

I have connected BiasFX via FX in all 3 of legacy, standard and multi modes. I have also tried via audiobus.

I have made sure that my output levels are not clipping (it is crackly at all dynamics levels).

I was able to record Bias FX in Auria 2.02 (although with a different BiasFX effects loop selected in BiasFX the one I tried to record last night was one with several digi delays and racks in the path).

Does my iPad 4 just not have enough horsepower or am I missing something?

Many thanks in advance.
pegleg85

Re: BIAS FX crackly crackly
Postby Gary » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:55 pm

My experience with BIAS / BIAS FX is that it runs best via audiobus. Your iPad horsepower should be ok. I'm running Auria 2.03 on an iPad mini (A5 processor), but I connect through a Focusrite (most of the time), and occasionally with an iRig HD. Usually have to watch the gain pretty close ...
Gary
Expert

Postby pegleg85 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:22 pm

I watched the gain pretty close and had it dialed way back. It even crackled the same on low level as high level.

Interesting though maybe because your focusrite handles all the monitoring duties maybe that takes some of the load off the processor?

Thanks
pegleg85

Postby pegleg85 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:39 pm

ah-ha, could be an ios issue with a lot of lightening connector instrument interfaces (see below)

Reply Helpfulby Wood Stock on Jan 14, 2016 3:25 PM
I had this problem too and ended up approaching the Focusrite technical staff. (I am using the Focusrite iTrack Solo unit with GB).
This is their answer to me: "There is a known issue with the Apple iOS 9.2 software that can cause glitches, delays and general audio issues when using a number of brands audio interfaces via the lightning connector on your iPad.
This is likely to be the issue in this case, and it is something that we (as have many companies) raised with Apple in order to try and resolve."

pegleg85
Expert

Re: crackles and pops on BIAS FX via Apogee Jam96

Post by pegleg85 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:54 am

Bias FX updated their app to solve a DSP issue and now this is resolved.