Restart of entire device so many times.

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Victor2000

Restart of entire device so many times.

Post by Victor2000 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:05 am

Hi there,
I now have at least three major synths IAA that after a short while will turn Auria totally mute. Sometimes, rarely, quitting the synth from IAA makes it sound again, mostly I have to restart not only Auria, but the iPad! Restart restart restart...
I talk about Sunrizer, Thor and SM Player. At least.
In a comparable case Rim suggested, that some apps produce some kind of killer signals and that its a problem on their side.

My question: what the heck is fucking up, that forces a reboot ?
Are all three major synths producing killer signals ( Rim had a proper term I forgot)?

Setup: Ipad Pro, latest ios. Pristine song, massive CPU and RAM resources. 3 audio tracks in use. Only one IAA at a time.

Thank you, team!

Victor

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Restart of entire device so many times.

Post by Rim » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:25 am

Anything that forces a reboot is an iOS problem, no question about it. Are you sure you don't have any other plugins or effects in the Auria project that might be the cause of your audio muting? It would seem unlikely that so many of the IAAs you tried have the same issue.

Rim

Victor2000

Post by Victor2000 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:13 am

Hi Rim,
For my understanding: U say it must be iOS. But then you say it could also be a plugin. That is contradictory, or not?
I read reports here and Audiobus Forum about the same thing. Also with at least two of these synths, if not all of them.
Sunrizer and MS Player definitely.
In one occasion u put it on SM being a resource hog. But thats not the reason. There wasnt anything peaking in my setup.

This turning mute issue has been mentionned here and there. But answers were mostly guesswork.
U remember mentionning some hidden signals being emanated from some synth that causes major crashes? Somebody reported the same issue.
Thats the latest official comment on this subject I know of.

Thx
V

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:36 pm

Sorry, I was talking about the two issues you mentioned, I'll clarify:

1. An app shouldn't be able to cause an iPad to reboot itself. If you ever encounter something that causes a spontaneous reboot, it is clearly an iOS issue and should be reported to Apple.

2. Audio muting is typically caused by something outputting a NaN (this is a special floating point value that stands for Not A Number). iOS doesn't allow these to be used, and will automatically shut down the audio system when it detects one. If you can find which plugin or IAA is outputting these, I suggest contacting the developer. In Auria, there was only one plugin causing this early on, THM (made by Overloud) . This was fixed already by Overloud.

Rim

Victor2000

Post by Victor2000 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:42 am

To clarify: FORCED TO REBOOT I mean, ´forced if i want audio output back´, not forced as in ´device frozen' or the likes.

Second: so what u r saying is, that these signal is the ONLY reason to shut down audio?
That would be a clear statement with which to approach the app devs. The big prob for us users is, that we often hear is:
Can be this, can be that, can be us, but most likely its the other side. That counts for almost all devs I wrote to.

If audio shut down must have a unique cause, and if you say u checked other possible causes, that would give me a stronger position in nagging at devs.

v

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:54 am

It's the only reason I've seen, but of course anything is possible, since development is a complicated process, and more so when trying to make two apps work together...

The best approach for solving this would be to create a simple project with just an audio track and one plugin, and see if you can isolate the problem to a particular IAA. Also, make sure you try more than one audio file, in case the problem is in the audio file itself!

Rim