MIDI tracks using lots of RAM

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

crouchie
Expert

MIDI tracks using lots of RAM

Post by crouchie » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:53 pm

Hello there, sorry if I'm being daft, but I'm finding that midi tracks are using loads of ram in my projects. Also, they cause the memory meter to constantly swing up and down every second or so, peaking near to 100%. It happens on every song I make and most recently I have had to freeze the 4 midi tracks in the song to continue despite there only being 8 tracks in the song. I'm using an iPad pro, the midi tracks are 3 from Twin and the Salamander piano, although it happens with any combination of midi instruments as far as I can see. Buffer set to 512, everything closed and iPad rebooted. Not helped by closing plugins. I realise I may have unrealistic expectations or am doing something wrong, I just thought that with this set up I'd be able to work with fewer frozen tracks.

As always I'm very grateful to you for your help.

Cheers

Rim
Site Admin

Re: MIDI tracks using lots of RAM

Post by Rim » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:14 pm

Auria doesn't have a memory meter, I think you mean CPU? Do any of your tracks have the real-time quantize function enabled in the channelstrip? I found a bug in this function which uses a lot of CPU. This is fixed in the upcoming update (2.03).

Rim

crouchie
Expert

Post by crouchie » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:25 pm

Thanks.

Sorry, CPU meter. I don't believe auto quantize is enabled. I've narrowed the swinging of the meter down to the Lyra Salamander track; every second it swings by about 20%. Will wait and see how the next version goes.

Cheers

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:34 pm

The next version won't fix anything to do with Lyra though. What iPad version are you using? Salamander is a huge piano. If you have your polyphony set high, it could use CPU pretty quickly, especially if you have the sustain pedal on, or play a lot of notes at once (it's set to 88 by default, which is very high).

Rim

crouchie
Expert

Post by crouchie » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:09 am

I'm using an iPad Pro, latest iOS. I'm pretty sure I've had it on other projects without using Lyra, but I'll play around more and see if it happens on my next tune. Cheers

P

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:26 pm

iOS 9 also has a major issue where the CPU gets throttled for no reason at all. It has to do with the power saving features, where iOS makes the CPU go slower when it doesn't think it needs to run fast. That part of the iOS code has a bug, so it sometimes thinks it needs to run slower...

Rim