Pro : midi settings not displaying ALL devices

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Sparkle
Expert

Pro : midi settings not displaying ALL devices

Post by Sparkle » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:20 pm

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7szwbi48lopjg ... e.PNG?dl=0

As shown in screengrab above ,the Core Midi devices in Settings > Midi is not displaying all of the connected devices ,
As the UM880 has 9 ports , only top 2 are shown in list . There are a couple of others also connected but not shown.
Other apps confirm a longer list are connected.
The screen grab doesnt show the Output port window , which displays a couple of different output ports missing from Input display , whilst missing a couple of Output ports whose Input is shown i.e There are unmatched pairs .
Also Virtual midi apps are not always appearing in list .

At first I thought maybe scrolling Within the window would reveal the missing ports, but that scrolls the whole page.

Air2 IOS8.4

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Pro : midi settings not displaying ALL devices

Post by Rim » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:04 pm

Auria supports a maximum of 10 MIDI devices.

Rim

Sparkle
Expert

Post by Sparkle » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:03 pm

I'm surprised . Any chance this could be improved ?
There are many apps that can handle many more, that don't call themselves Pro .

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:14 pm

Something on my list for sure, as others have asked for this as well. I just figured why would someone need more than 10 MIDI sources, because you can't have that many apps running at the same time... ;) I hadn't anticipated devices with so multiple ports...

Rim

Sparkle
Expert

Post by Sparkle » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:31 pm

I'm relieved this will be improved , but left a little confused by your other remarks .

Firstly , on the facts ,
When you say 10 input sources , is it not also restricted to 10 output at moment? just so I understand .
Also, you're not saying Auria Pro is restricted to 10 apps are you ? Please no ! (I may request refund if so .)

I was delighted to learn my 9 port UM880 had a class compliant mode , so my rack of hardware which it interfaces could be piped i/o my IOS workings .
But even without that , Novation SL keyboards have 3 ports ( 1 for Mackie ,I 'll be discussing here in future ) + my drumpad module has 2 .
But additionally what about " intermediary" input apps , such as drum machines ,sequencers ,arpeggiators ALL of whose midi we will want to record into (& thru ) our midi DAW ? ( I'm still working out how to wire these into/thru Auria & will be asking more about this , ideally a tutorial would be helpful .)
So needing >10 input sources , especially if intermediary virtual inputs are included in total , is all too easily reached .

And for Output of course , with only a medium arrangement ,as my main realtime midi sequencing DAW I will need more than 10 output ports for hardware & if virtual midi synths also count as an output port .
But lets not also forget midi control of (non -Auria- native) FX apps for realtime performance / recording of parameter edits . (I also ask for tutorials on how to do this ) .

I would hope for a "Pro" titled midi DAW that looks to lead the field , midi I/O is unlimited by the app itself but only IOS & the hardware .

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:03 pm

I limited the number of MIDI ports Auria can "see" at any one time to 10. That applies to inputs and outputs. When I wrote that code, there was no app available that would present more than one port, and I couldn't imagine anyone would have 10 apps open at the same time on an iPad (too much memory and CPU!). This was back in 2014. Now, I see that it's possible, although pretty rare. I think more typically, the average user will be lucky to be able to use four apps at the same time ;) But definitely now that I see there are apps which present multiple MIDI I/O, I can see why it'll be important to extend the number of MIDI ports. I'll make it 20 or so in a future update.

Rim