Glitchy Performance Requiring Mutiple Restarts

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

indratgj
Expert

Glitchy Performance Requiring Mutiple Restarts

Post by indratgj » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:48 pm

Tonight I performed a latency test on my Audio interface. During the process Auria repeatedly exhibited the following symptoms:

1. The channel enabled for recording would stop recognizing any input. This seem to occur almost everytime I made adjustments to the Record Latency Adjustment.

2. Metronome would be random and distorted, and recording would not occur.

Often it would take several passes of shutting down Aria and then restarting it to resolve the problems.

By the way, I recently upgraded to iOS 8.3, but I don't know if that has anything to do with the problems I'm experiencing.

Thanks,
Travis
iPad Pro 12.9” Gen 5, iOS v.15,5, Auria Pro, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Presonus HP6, DrumPerfect Pro

Corey W
Expert

Re: Glitchy Performance Requiring Mutiple Restarts

Post by Corey W » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:23 am

Hi Travis,
What kind of iPad and interface are you running?

-Corey

indratgj
Expert

Post by indratgj » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:46 pm

Corey,

I have an iPad 3rd generation with 32gb. The audio interface is a Presonus 1818VSL. One thing I didn't point out earlier is that I also had iBooks open to the Auria reference manual; don't know if that has any bearing.

Travis
iPad Pro 12.9” Gen 5, iOS v.15,5, Auria Pro, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Presonus HP6, DrumPerfect Pro

Matt W
Expert

Post by Matt W » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:40 pm

We haven't seen any 8.3-specific issues that should affect recording, but we'll need to pull out an 1818VSL and give it a test ourselves. Can you say what type of setup you were using, like sample rate, number of tracks, etc? We can do some tests with 8.3 just to make sure it isn't something related to that.

With a 3rd-Gen iPad you'll definitely want to close any other app that isn't Auria, especially when recording or playing back a bunch of tracks. The 3rd-gen iPads are well known to run low on available RAM, and any additional apps (even a PDF reader) will hurt. After quitting out of every app it also helps to do a restart to make sure the RAM gets set free.
Matthew Werner
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.

indratgj
Expert

Post by indratgj » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:20 pm

Since it was for a latency test, it was very basic:

Sample rate : 44.1
Two tracks: track 1, drumstick click; track two, input loop from audio interface.

By doing the test, I discovered a latency of about 76 samples. The problems kept cropping up as I would do a test, enter the latency offset, and then attempt another test to check the result.

The other thing I noted was that the signal I patched back in to track 2 was very hot. But this was probably just my failure to adjust the input gain low enough to accommodate line level from the interface output.

indratgj
Expert

Post by indratgj » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:11 am

I'm having a lot of performance issues requiring shutting down Auria and re-starting it.

1. The problem of Auria failing to recognize the microphone (in other words, there is signal at the input matrix, and then suddenly there is no signal) is still happening. This happens almost every time I change the settings on the "record" tab. For example, changing latency samples or the latency offset. When I return from this screen, there is no mic signal at the input. After a re-start, the signal is back.

2. The other problem happens when I'm zooming, swiping to get to a different section, and other actions involving graphics adjustments. The program will frequently freeze up, repeating a small distorted section of the recording. Sometimes I just here a repeated ticking sound softly in the background, or a strange echo is introduced. Any of these symptoms can occur. I can't continue recording until I shut down Auria and restart it. In a four-hour session, I probably had to do a restart at least 20 times.

Before I started recording, I completely re-booted the iPad, to clear memory. I also did this two or three times during the recording. It did not seem to make things any more stable. I am not getting any memory or CPU warnings when the problems occur. Lastly, this is not a complicated session, six tracks with no effects.

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:11 am

These are very unusual issues and I've not heard anyone else have these problems. What iPad model do you have?

Rim

indratgj
Expert

Post by indratgj » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:14 am

iPad 3rd generation with 32gb. Audio interface is Presonus 1818VSL.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:21 am

Your problems might be related to issues I had with my UR44:
http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12731
I also have an iPad3 but I'm still on iOSv7.1.2. I never found a resolution to my issue. I wish you better luck :)

indratgj
Expert

Post by indratgj » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:38 am

If anyone out there in Auria land is running iPad 3rd gen, with 32gb, a Presonus 1818vsl, and things are running smoothly for you, I'd like to hear from you.

Rim says my problems are unusual, so I'm probably doing something weird. Nonetheless, it would help to hear from folks that are running the same rig successfully.

Thanks, Travis

Corey W
Expert

Post by Corey W » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:52 pm

Hi indratgj,
What kind of powered USB hub are you using?

Concerning the latency offset, unless you are using hardware inserts, there should not be any need to change this, Auria takes care of it automatically.
For the majority of users, Latency Offset can be left at 0 and you most likely never need to worry about this.
There may be a bug we are unaware of to do with changing the record settings on the fly, I will look into this more on my end.

When you restart your iPad, make sure you are first double-clicking on the home button and swiping up on all the thumbnails to fully close all of your apps and then restart your iPad. Just restarting the iPad won't clear the RAM, you have to close all the open apps first.

-Corey

indratgj
Expert

Post by indratgj » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:58 pm

Corey,

My powered USB hub is a Belkin. I'm not sure what model. It's a small black flat thing with 4 inputs and 1 out.

From the Presonus 1818vsl, the signal chain is: Belkin USB cable to Apple Camera Kit plug - From there to the iPad, using a Cable Jive dock connector.

I may be grasping at straws, but I wondered if the powered USB hub could be the problem, and maybe I should try a different make. Or, the fact that I've got the camera kit plugged into the Cable Jive cable, instead of plugging the camera kit directly into the iPad, as the good Apple Lord intended. :-) Thoughts?

Thanks for the Latency setting tip. I have it on a very small offset, -76 I think, so it's probably not doing much anyway. I'll set that back to zero.

And yes, I did make sure I closed all apps before doing the hard restart on the iPad.

Thanks

Corey W
Expert

Post by Corey W » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:34 am

I would definitely suggest starting by testing your setup without the Cable Jive dock connector in-line. We can at least see if that makes a difference and go from there.

-Corey

indratgj
Expert

Post by indratgj » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:43 am

Corey,

I'll test without the dock extender and see how it goes. Thanks.

Travis

indratgj
Expert

Post by indratgj » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:13 pm

I removed the dock extender from the signal chain. Over a two hour session, I only had to restart the once, after a strange clicking sound began, with the transport paused. So, things are much better.