Mackie DL32r crackling noise

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Tmn126

Mackie DL32r crackling noise

Post by Tmn126 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:19 am

Hello,
I'm trying to get my dl32r to work with auria, but unfortunately I am getting a high pitch crackling noise along with my signal.

I am using an iPad Air 2 iOS 8.1.2 with the latest release of Auria interfaced with a Mackie Dl32r. I start out with a new project and for testing only use 2 tracks which are mapped to 2 of the usb channels coming from the mackie. I receive sound in auria, but also a very constant crackling sound.

I have completely powered down the iPad and am only running Auria, I also tried it in airplane mode with no change in the sound quality. I am using no effects or processing just the default project with two tracks.

I don't believe it's a cable issue as I am able to play the demo project back to the dl32 via the usb channels and the sound is very good.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Washboy
Expert

Re: Mackie DL32r crackling noise

Post by Washboy » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:37 am

Are you using a non-Apple brand CCK?
Are you using a USB hub?

Tmn126

Post by Tmn126 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:23 pm

Hi Washboy,

I am using the Apple brand lightning to USB camera adaptor (3" pigtail) straight from the DL32r (no hub) using what I believe is a quality USB cable.

I haven't seen any reports of people recording with Auria and the DL32r yet so I hope it's compatible.

Thanks..

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:48 pm

Tmn126 wrote:...I haven't seen any reports of people recording with Auria and the DL32r yet so I hope it's compatible...
You appear to have the appropriate connectivity there. However, I cannot find any reference to the DL32r being class compliant so I would not expect it to work as an audio interface to iDevices (only to PC/Mac). Perhaps you need to clarify that matter with Mackie.

Sorry not to be of more help. I hope you find a good solution :)

EDIT: I've since discovered that it is allegedly USB3.0 class compliant for driverless connection to Mac so, perhaps, it ought to work with iPad+CCK. Best confirm with Mackie anyway though :wink:

Tmn126

Post by Tmn126 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:57 pm

Thanks for the insight WB,
From what I have been able to find out so far I do believe it should work, although so far the experience has been a little disappointing.
Besides the noise issue the app seems to be somewhat unstable, occasionally the audio is very choppy, and I got the processor warning while I was just monitoring the two channels I wasn't even recording. Not sure if it's an air 2 issue or what, but at this rate it's unusable..

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:00 am

Are you using a 44100 sample rate in Auria? If not, try that first. Also, try using it with other iPad apps to rule out that it's an Auria issue.

Auria has three audio modes as well. Try going into the Auria settings and testing all three Core Audio modes to see if that might make it more compatible.

Rim

Tmn126

Post by Tmn126 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:57 pm

Hi Rim,

Thanks for the suggestions, I should be able to try them out over the weekend. Do you know of a very simple DAW or recording app that I can test the USB audio out with?

I'll let you know how it goes, I'm hoping it is compatible as I really like the features of Auria..

Thanks,

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:06 pm

You could try "Tape by Focusrite" - it's free.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:11 pm

You might also wish to investigate "AudioShare". It's an excellent tool for iOS audio workflow.