stuttering

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

jimhenry
Expert

stuttering

Post by jimhenry » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:00 am

hey there-

been having some real issues with stuttering during editing. even with one track and no effects it was happening this morning. seems like it happens mostly while in the edit window, pinching or stretching. i have done all the recommended things (airplane mode, effects off, close all apps, etc.) doesn't happen always but a lot. could use some advice as it is very frustrating...ipad 2, 16gb, latest os. thanks

Rim
Site Admin

Re: stuttering

Post by Rim » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:10 am

Can you describe what you mean by stuttering? Are you using an external audio interface? What's your sample rate?

Rim

jimhenry
Expert

Post by jimhenry » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:38 am

hi-
using presonus 1818vsl, 44.1. by stuttering i mean it plays in staccato, slow, stuttering manor. it chugs along. sometimes it sticks at one point and will pulsate (sonically, the display doesn't change) for a while until it fades. sometimes opening a different app will fix it but usually i have to shut auria down and restart it.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:45 am

OK, does this happen during playback or recording? If playback, do you have any tracks record enabled when it happens?

Also, do you have Audiobus mode on, or are there any other audio apps running in the background when it happens?

Try this:

1. Create a new project with 0 tracks at 44100. Son't change any other settings.
2. Double-tap on the home button and close all apps you see, including Auria
3. Open Auria, add an audio file or two
4. Play.

See if you have any stuttering now.

Rim

jimhenry
Expert

Post by jimhenry » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:09 pm

Rim wrote:OK, does this happen during playback or recording? If playback, do you have any tracks record enabled when it happens?

only during playback/editing with no tracks enabled...

Also, do you have Audiobus mode on, or are there any other audio apps running in the background when it happens?

audiobus off, no apps in the background

Update- i just tried something based on your previous post...with the usb unplugged i could NOT get it to stutter. when i plugged the usb in i COULD get it to stutter. as soon as i unplugged the usb it stopped stuttering

is there some setting on the presonus i'm missing?

Try this:
1. Create a new project with 0 tracks at 44100. Son't change any other settings.
2. Double-tap on the home button and close all apps you see, including Auria
3. Open Auria, add an audio file or two
4. Play.

See if you have any stuttering now.

Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:14 pm

OK, it's most likely the hub you're using. Not all brands are able to keep up with continuous audio streaming. I suggest trying a different brand. That should solve the problem.

Rim

jimhenry
Expert

Post by jimhenry » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:19 pm

could you recommend any?

i gotta say that you are totally awesome with support. makes me love auria even more...Thank you!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:09 pm

Not a problem ;) Hub models change so often that it's hard to maintain a list, but if you ask on the audio interface forum, I'm sure one of the other users will help.

Rim

MikeDee
Expert

Post by MikeDee » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:14 pm

I've been doing quite well with a higher powered (4 amp) hub, which I found on Other World Computing's site:

7 Port USB 2.0 Hub with 4.0 Amp Power Supply
$25.99
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/USB2HB7PRO/

I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 with Auria on an iPad 4 with good results. This combo worked fine on an iPad 2 as well.

I'm still on iOS 6.1.3 - so I can't help determine whether the issue might be caused by iOS 7.x (though I would assume that it is not).

Although the 8i6 has its own power supply and, thus, does not require a powered USB hub, there are times when I want to connect a (non-AC-powered) USB keyboard to play a synth app on the iPad while using the 8i6...then the hub is required.

I suggest giving the 4-amp unit a try...hope this helps.......

Mike E. Dee

jimhenry
Expert

Post by jimhenry » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:27 am

Rim wrote:OK, it's most likely the hub you're using. Not all brands are able to keep up with continuous audio streaming. I suggest trying a different brand. That should solve the problem.

Rim

hey rim- so, i tried 3 different hubs and tried switching power supplies on the presonus...it still happens. it is easily repeatable in edit mode, particularly when expanding/shrinking the tracks. i've tried everything you suggested. any ideas?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:43 am

There are two things that can cause audio artifacts when using a USB device. One is the model of hub you're using, and the other is the CoreAudio crackling bug. It's possible that this is what you're seeing. This is a bug in Apple's CoreAudio system that affects only iPad 2 and 3 models. The only way around it is to set your record buffer to 4096 and disable USB Soft Start in Auria's settings. Then, reboot Auria, reset your interface and try it again.

Rim

jimhenry
Expert

Post by jimhenry » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:43 pm

hey rim-

i tried changing those settings which helped but the the problem keeps happening. i might try the usb with the 4amp power supply that somebody suggested.

indratgj
Expert

Post by indratgj » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:52 pm

Jimhenry,

I realize your post is fairly old, but hopefully you're still out there, working successfully with Auria. I am currently having the same "stuttering" problem that you describe.

Did you ever resolve your problem and, if so, how?

Thanks,
Travis
iPad Pro 12.9” Gen 5, iOS v.15,5, Auria Pro, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Presonus HP6, DrumPerfect Pro