Nothing but trouble after iOS7

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

nicadrick
Expert

Nothing but trouble after iOS7

Post by nicadrick » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:29 am

Running Auria on iPad3 iOS6 w/Focusrite 18i8 was a DREAM; working smoothly, productively. We waited for the prescribed iOS7 improved release of Auria and then several weeks later before taking the plunge and updating the iPad to iOS7 in order to wrap up a couple projects that were already in the works.

Since updating to iOS7 we are experiencing the following significant issues:
1. digital artifacts with Convolution reverb, spikes, pops, etc. This when running on a single track with tons of processor and disk availability.
2. inputs go missing after set in input matrix: check levels, make patch in input matrix, arm track, record, and nothing is tracked. Repeat the process and then it works.
3. sluggish UI at times.
4. input and monitoring latency that did not exist(had been resolved)in iOS6: Click in, record to monitored (other tracks) and resultant new track is out of sync with monitor tracks.

I find myself having to fiddle around with reconnecting/restarting the audio interface and some time Auria or even the iPad to get improvement, but in some cases I just can't get there. As always Auria is the only app running, unless Audiobus is employed. In the cases listed above our tests were with simple line or mic inputs via the 18i8. All tasks that were easily and smoothly handled previously by Auria on iOS6.

Please advise what can be done resolve these issues.

Thanks,

Rick

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Nothing but trouble after iOS7

Post by Rim » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:01 pm

Rick,

Sorry to hear about that. I have only seen the sluggish UI issues (this is an iOS7 issue with the iPad 3 only). However, I don't see any of the other issues here. It would really help if you could demonstrate these to me so I can address them. An example project would help.

Thanks,
Rim

nicadrick
Expert

Post by nicadrick » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:20 pm

If the sluggishness is only on the iPad3 running iOS7, could the rest of my woes be tied to this combination? Are there any rumblings of a fix to address this sluggish combo? If the issues are related there is no use in working on the audio issues until the root issues are resolved.

I can certainly put a test project together for you. Last night's Convolution issue is easy to replicate:
We had the midi keyboard trigger a drum module. The line outs (4)of the drum module each went to a line in on the Focusrite 18i8. Each line was patched to an individual mono track in Auria. This is where we first saw signal present at the input matrix, arm track, record, but nothing was captured. On a second attempt we were able to successfully capture the 4 individual drum tracks from the line inputs. I think I had to relaunch Auria and reconnect the CCK as well.

Once the drum tracks were down we switched to mix view routed the individual channel strips to a mix bus, then applied convolution reverb to the mix buss. Digital artifacts were present with each transient and sometimes in between the transients, regardless of the preset choice and independent of the various reverb settings. Swithching to the standard (forgot name), low tech reverb worked just fine.

Rick

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:18 pm

As far as the artifacts, try switching off Low CPU mode in the reverb. Often this causes problems on certain presets.

Also, the convolution reverb IR files are all 44.1 samples. So if you're using a different sample rate in your project, you may hear artifacts when using the convolution reverb (unless you use your own IR files at that sample rate). The convolution reverb does a sample rate conversion, but it's not perfect.

Rim

nicadrick
Expert

Post by nicadrick » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:38 pm

Thanks Rim, I will check on the reverb/project settings.