GarageBand fine w/Audiobus Auria no

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Dformation

GarageBand fine w/Audiobus Auria no

Post by Dformation » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:46 pm

Hi,
I did not upgrade my OS,I have iPad 4 and everything was working fine for awhile.
Now, I cannot get the sample rate to work with Audiobus and Auria.
I can perform overdubs with Grageband with no problems.
Auria is fine stand alone, but with Audiobus in tha mix ,it's a no go.
I've tried all the good stuff to get back to working, 512 or 256, it gives me the trill of death.

Thanks for the help....

Rim
Site Admin

Re: GarageBand fine w/Audiobus Auria no

Post by Rim » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:06 pm

Getting other apps to work at higher sample rates is pretty difficult. Most other apps don't support anything other than 44.1 If you want to use Audiobus and another app at higher sample rate, you need to make sure that other supports other sample rates. Which audio app are you trying to use with Audiobus? Have you checked that it works at higher sample rates?

Rim

Dformation

Post by Dformation » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:06 am

Thnx Rim for getting bk...
It's the hardware buffer size that's not in synch w/Auria and Audiobus.
Sorry bout dat...
Sample rate is fine....

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:22 pm

OK, can you describe what's going on?

Rim

Dformation

Post by Dformation » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:46 am

Hi Rim,
First, I start Audiobus, then select my input instrument,next Auria.
The instrument track is usually already armed, I then make sure I have the Audiobus monitoring "on", in settings
(Auria). I turn all the Audiobus stuff on for Auria.
I check to make sure the buffer size match Audiobus and Auria , it's usually at 512.
When I play, the sound is that fast stutter sound, for both buffer rates.
This only happens when using Audiobus .
With your new inter-app update, I'll be able to bypast Audiobus all together .
Garageband does'nt have the flex and track count to be very useful.

Thanks for the help...
David

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:31 pm

OK, try this:

1. Kill Auria. To do this: close auria first (tap on the home button), then double tap on the home button and close Auria from the list
2. Do this for all other apps including Audiobus and any other apps you have running. It's very important that everything is gone from the list
3. Now launch Audiobus.
4. Choose an instrument from the list for the input slot
5. Choose Auria for the output slot.

If you do it in this order, you shouldn't have problems.

Some audio apps aren't compatible with Auria and Audiobus, though. It's possible the one you're using is one of those...

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:09 pm

Rim wrote:Some audio apps aren't compatible with Auria and Audiobus, though. It's possible the one you're using is one of those...
Do you have a list of these incompatible apps (and will you publish it)?
Is there a common reason for the incompatibility?
Is DM1 on the list?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:16 pm

I don't have a list, and most apps work fine, including DM1. I've had reports of an app or two not working with Auria through Audiobus, and have never been able to tell exactly why. We've asked the Audiobus team and the developers of the apps, and have never gotten anywhere.

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:48 pm

Thanks Rim. I ask because recently I've noticed that DM1 won't play if Auria is resident. I don't remember this always being the case. It seems that when Auria loads (except via Audiobus) it forces a frame rate of 4096 on the system, which presumably DM1 doesn't like. Or could it have anything to do with MIDI sync/control incompatibility, perhaps? It's all very confusing! :)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:25 am

Yes, some apps don't work with Auria (including DM1). I thought you were referring to working along with Audiobus (which forces Auria to use a lower buffer size and works fine).

Auria uses a large buffer size (4096), which other audio apps don't expect. A lot of audio apps are coded to never expect anything larger than 512. It's an easy thing to fix and there are two options:

1. Kill all the apps, then always start the other audio app first, then Auria. In iOS, whichever app starts first gets to set the buffer size.

or

2. Start Auria, then enable Audiobus mode in the settings (even if you're not using Audiobus). This causes Auria to always use buffer size of 512.

Remember, Auria is not designed to work with small buffer sizes like this, and doing so increases its CPU usage. Also, the convolution reverb is disabled when using small buffer sizes, as it simply can't function with buffers that low.

Rim

Dformation

Post by Dformation » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:57 am

Hi Rim,
Thank you so much for the information, Nave and Magellan are working in Auria.
All smiles....

David

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:33 pm

Many thanks for your explanation, Rim. Very helpful :D

Turning on Audiobus mode in settings does indeed allow DM1 to work with Auria but merely starting DM1 before Auria does not - DM1 still won't play. It does play under the aegis of Audiobus, as previously mentioned and as you advise.

I've often wondered what Audiobus compatibility actually means, in regard to the "Audiobus Mode" in settings. If it does nothing more magical than impose a 512 frame buffer on Auria, may I respectfully suggest that the settings page should be updated to include something like "sets a 512 frame buffer" in parenthesis under that setting (or at least that the User Guide explanation of the Audiobus Mode mentions it)?

Thanks again, Rim.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:12 pm

That setting does a few things, so it's easier to just call it Audiobus mode. It sets the buffer to 512, enables Background Audio mode, and disables the convolution reverb.

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:21 pm

Rim wrote:That setting does a few things, so it's easier to just call it Audiobus mode. It sets the buffer to 512, enables Background Audio mode, and disables the convolution reverb.

Rim
Ah! I see. OK, you're right. It would be good to see that definition in the User Guide, though (when time permits). Despite advancing years, I don't think I'll forget it now but new users might benefit :D