Automation idiosyncrasies.

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Washboy
Expert

Automation idiosyncrasies.

Post by Washboy » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:39 pm

I was playing around with editing automation (in connection with another user's query) and I encountered a couple of issues:

1) More of a wish than a bug. The 'Delete' toolbar button doesn't work when editing automation control points (as it does with editing audio regions and tracks). Auria asks for confirmation to delete the track! It's a pain to have to access the 'Edit' menu after selecting a control point or points, instead of simply tapping the 'Delete' button.

2) It's possible to record automation into an empty track but it's not possible to edit a control point until there's an audio region underneath the point.

I also noticed that faders on the Mix Window don't return to 0db when double-tapped when recording automation (the fader on the ChannelStrip works fine though).

While on the subject of the ChannelStrip, irrespective of automation, some of the knobs don't return to their default positions when double-tapped - they tend to jump to the 12 o'clock position instead. One that appears to work properly is the Compressor High Pass Side Chain Filter knob, which returns to 20hz.

Apologies if these issues have been raised before.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Automation idiosyncrasies.

Post by Rim » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:21 pm

Thanks, I've added these to the list. Except the first one - since the delete icon is a multifunction icon, it deletes whatever is selected. So if you select a control point, it'll delete that, and if you select a track, it'll delete that instead. The issue is making sure that when you select a control point, you don't have a track selected. To make this easier, I added code that deselects the track when you tap on a control point.

Thanks,
Rim

Washboy
Expert

Re: Automation idiosyncrasies.

Post by Washboy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:02 am

Rim wrote:The issue is making sure that when you select a control point, you don't have a track selected. To make this easier, I added code that deselects the track when you tap on a control point.
Ah! I had not noticed that, Rim. Thanks for the tip and thanks for the planned usability enhancement :D

Another automation-related question: Is there a quick way to remove all control points from a track (but only of one type, e.g. Pan)? The method I've been using is to highlight (double-tap and swipe) from just beyond the last visible control point and swipe/scroll left, to the beginning of the track, then 'Edit -> Delete Control Points'. Unfortunately, I often find that the track stops scrolling before the zero point is reached and so the highlight needs to be re-scrolled (sometimes a few times before the track beginning is reached).

Unless there is already a super-quick way to select all control points of one type, what would be useful is a modification to 'Edit -> Delete Automation on Track' so that it prompts for selection of "All Controls Data" or "Only xxxxxx Control Data" (where xxxxxx is the name of the currently selected control, e.g. Volume, Pan, etc.).

Thanks again, Rim.