Large file size

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

sebastianbarria
Expert

Large file size

Post by sebastianbarria » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:54 pm

Hi.
I'm having a problem with my project's weight. It has 32 tracks and weighs over 6GB.
Even I've timestreched some waves I think the project weighs a lot!... I have no duplicated waves (just a few), and the project never stop growing.
When it was like 2GB I start condensing regions (the manual says that it should remove unused files)... and it just make ir bigger... then I activated the "Auto clean" option and it's still growing.
I've opened the .project file and it has a lot of unused and old files... what could be wrong?
I can send you the .project file.
Thanks!

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Large file size

Post by Rim » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:27 pm

No need to send a project. This happens if you use the condense regions feature on a project with duplicates. The reason this happens is because condense regions needs to make each region a separate file in order to condense it. If you have a project with many duplicates, this will create a separate file for each duplicate, which is the opposite of what you want to do.

I recommend not using condense regions if you have duplicates in your project.

Rim

sebastianbarria
Expert

Post by sebastianbarria » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:20 pm

Thanks Rim, but what can I do right now?... I will not use it anymore, but my project stills have a lot of unused files... Is there any way to clean up that?
Thanks!

Schimanski
Expert

Post by Schimanski » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:03 am

@sebastian if you DO NOT need older versions of your project,you can delete all snapshots of this project,close Auria
and reopen it.then there should only be the used files in the folder.But be sure to NOT need older versions!!!
Hope this helps.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:36 pm

I don't believe that will help in this case, as all the regions in your project are being used. There's nothing I can think of, other than deleting all your duplicates, and redoing them again.

Rim

sebastianbarria
Expert

Post by sebastianbarria » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:57 pm

Thanks Rim... So, why should I ever use condense regions?... I still can't understand... Thanks

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:59 pm

Condense regions works great if you don't duplicate. Many users don't ever use the duplicate feature. It's only useful if you make music out of loops.

Rim

sebastianbarria
Expert

Post by sebastianbarria » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:05 pm

Hello Rim.
Sorry to bother you with this again, but I found the problem and fix it manually.

I did this:
I copied the .project to my computer (PC). Then opened the .prj file with a text editor and I search for all the ".wav" files... the .prj stores that information, so I copied it manually to a new txt.
Then I separate each one of those files to a new folder and the delete all the wav files not being used (the files not found on the .prj file).
Finally I copied back the isolated files, so that way my project would have ONLY the files being used, and it worked perfectly.
So, my project fell from 6 gb to 1.9 gb after this process.

Clearly this is a bug, or at least a BIG problem, because the software can't remove unused files. Auria SHOULD (MUST) have an option to "clean unused files" manually.
And there's another problem on the "Overview Data" folder: I have 1.134 files (275 MB) of waves information also not being used. There's A LOT of trash. Auria never deleted that unused files.

One tip (in case that something were wrong just in my case) is that I started the project without the "Auto cleanup" enabled, and I enabled it when my project was like 2GB large. After that I tried to condense regions but the project file was allways getting higher. I have almost no loops... Just some 2-second waves repeated 3 or 4 times.

Is there any way to improve this "trash files" problem in the next release?... maybe with a new "Manual clean up project" option?... thanks!

Above all this problems the software is GREAT!... thanks a lot for your work!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:30 pm

The auto cleanup function works very well. It cleans all unused files from a project as the project loads (just like the way you did it manually). The caveat is you can't have any snapshots which refer to these files, or auto cleanup won't delete those files. This is important, otherwise if you tried to load an earlier snapshot which used one of these files, you'd get error messages about missing files. So auto cleanup scans all your snapshots to make sure a particular file isn't used in any of them. If it is, it leaves it alone. I suspect this is what happened in your case.

To get around this, delete all your snapshots first, then do a cleanup.

Rim

sebastianbarria
Expert

Post by sebastianbarria » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:40 pm

Thanks Rim.
Yes... I did it... removed all the snapshots (menu->load snapshot and then deleted all of them) and nothing happened. My project kept it's almost 6GB size.
This "manual cleanup" was my last chance... I did it because I knew that Auria wasn't deleting the old files.

Now that you mention it I checked on the "Backup" folder and there are some .prj files from 1 month ago... maybe the files are linked to that files?... but how could I remove those files?... there's no menu option for that.

To check that I will put back my 6GB project (I have it backed up) removing previously the backup .prj files, and I will check for that.

I'll let you know, but I still thing that's a bug XD or a non solved issue...

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:44 pm

The auto cleanup doesn't check the backup folder, so you don't need to worry about that.

So, just to be clear - you deleted all your snapshots, then you closed your project and reopened it? Also, you have your Auto Project Cleanup option enabled in the settings? The auto cleanup only performs the cleanup when the project loads.

Rim

sebastianbarria
Expert

Post by sebastianbarria » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:11 pm

Yes Rim... I did all that and the project never got cleaned.

1.- I created the project (without the "auto cleanup" option enabled on settings)
2.- When the file was too large I enabled the "auto cleanup" and nothing happened
3.- After a few sessions without the file getting smaller I tried "condense region", but it got even larger
4.- Then I kept working untill finish my song
5.- I posted here
6.- I cleared all the snapshots, closed and open the project. Nothing happened
7.- I did a "manual cleanup" and finally my project file was smaller

For example, I played a bass guitar... I recorded 7 times until I played it right, and the last one was the one I used. But in the project file there's still the other 6 .wav files... they were never removed. That's what I meant.
Some times I recorded and after finish I selected the region and press "delete". Other times just after recording I pressed the "undo" button and it said "undo recording" and Auria deleted the file. I think it never deleted it.

If you want I can send you the .prj file for you to check it out. Maybe is my ipad, maybe is something with my project, maybe is Auria... I don't know.
Thanks!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:38 pm

OK, there is another possibility. When you record something in Auria, and then re-record over the same area, Auria doesn't delete the previous recording. In fact, that region is probably underneath your new recording. These regions never get cleaned up with an auto cleanup, because they are still part of your project.

For example:

1. Record a bass track
2. Press rewind, record again.
3. Now, you have both regions. One is on top of the other, so you can't see the first one. But it's still in your project, and is still consuming space.

Just as a test, try to move your regions around to see if there are hidden regions underneath them.

Rim

sebastianbarria
Expert

Post by sebastianbarria » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:06 pm

I understand what you said, but is not my situation. I deleted or pressed undo before recording another region. I checked for "hidden" regions and there wasn't.
In fact I'm pretty sure there was a lot of files NOT being used in the project because I opened the .project file, search for all the .wav files mentioned there, removed all the "non mentioned" and didn't affected the project at all.

So, I think there's a problem with my specifical configuration (ipad, project or software) that is avoiding the project auto cleanup.

Anyway, I downloaded the project to my computer, removed intentionally a used file and then upload the project without that file and it didn't show me an alert of "file missing" as you said before.

And since we're talking about this, I think it would be great if there's a "file manager" option... maybe that way I could remove unused files manually, or maybe I could use a previously recorded file, since right now there's no way to re-use a deleted or unused file.

Thanks!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:51 pm

OK. There's no message about missing files. What happens is the region will show as grey in the editor, and the words "(missing)" will be appended to the end of the name in the editor.

In any case, I'm really curious about your project. Would you mind sending it to me using dropbox? I'm: rim at drumagog dot com

Thanks,
Rim