Doesn't always record with audiobus.

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

williamsinclair

Doesn't always record with audiobus.

Post by williamsinclair » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:53 am

I find that sometimes when I use audiobus the selected and armed track on auria does not record, even though I have set it up correctly, including selecting audiobus from the input matrix. It almost seems like auria has crashed when I'm done recording even though I armed the track, a selected audiobus in the input matrix, and could hear another track playing.

I go to auria in audiobus and it reloads the project. Sometimes the new track is there and sometimes it isn't.

Tonight it was when I was recording a bass track using iFretless bass. I already successfully recorded a drum track using sample tank. All other apps were closed.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Doesn't always record with audiobus.

Post by Rim » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:13 am

It sounds to me like Auria is getting closed while it's still recording. You can tell if this is happening if Auria re-loads the project when you switch back to it. Most likely this is because you ran out of memory. When iOS runs out of memory, it will start closing your apps, and there's nothing that can be done to stop it. If you're using an iPad 4, this is less of a problem because it has 1GB or RAM, but on earlier models it can be quite easy to exceed the RAM with Auria and another app. Sometimes closing your other apps AND rebooting the iPad helps. Also, make sure all your apps are closed, including things like settings, safari, app store, etc.

Rim

williamsinclair

Post by williamsinclair » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:05 pm

Thanks. Yes I always close all of my apps when running auria, audiobus, and one other input app in audiobus. The problem of auria shutting down during recording and reloading the project does only occur when I am using Auria with AudioBus as my recording choice. I don't get the problem when using LoopyHD or another lower end DAW and AudioBus.

Maybe it's like you say - memory. I am using an ipad3.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:40 pm

It's almost definitely memory. Auria uses quite a bit of memory, and unless you're on an iPad 4, it's going to be difficult running Auria and other apps at the same time. One suggestion is to only use Auria and Audiobus with a small project (2 tracks, and no effects for example). This will use less memory than a large project.

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:42 am

@Rim:
Rim wrote:It's almost definitely memory. Auria uses quite a bit of memory, and unless you're on an iPad 4, it's going to be difficult running Auria and other apps at the same time.Rim
...and earlier you said,
Rim wrote:If you're using an iPad 4, this is less of a problem because it has 1GB or RAM, but on earlier models it can be quite easy to exceed the RAM with Auria and another app.
Admittedly it has a slower processor than the iPad4 but doesn't the iPad3 also have 1GB RAM?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:14 am

Oops, you're right - I meant to say iPad 3 or 4. They both have the same amount of RAM (1GB).

Rim

Zettemusik

Post by Zettemusik » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:00 am

Hi, myself I try to connect magellan, animoog or thor with audiobus and it never records. Even with no other tracks, no apps, etc. it has once produced an event bon auria but with no sound. What are the settings on the menu (audiobus on, also live monitoring to reduce latency...) what do i do wrong. It is very frustrating compared to the ease of us of other apps. What about midi settings?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:30 am

In the latest version of Auria, it's very easy to record using Audiobus. No MIDI necessary:

1. Close all apps by double-tapping on the home button and closing everything you see.
2. Open Audiobus first
3. Add an instrument to the input slot (for example Magellan)
4. Wait until the instrument loads then automatically comes back to Audiobus.
5. In the output slot of Audiobus, choose Auria
6. Wait for the Audiobus screen to come back up automatically
7. Click on Auria again to bring it up
8. In Auria, press record, then play.

Now Auria is recording your synth.

Note: this won't work on Auria LE at the moment (1.12 will fix the issue).

Rim

Hewpiedawg

Post by Hewpiedawg » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:22 pm

I saw similar behavior when I was recording synth apps into Auria with Audiobus. After reading this thread and another in this forum, I thought I'd pay attention to the user gestures I used. I found that this crashing/reloading always happens when I hit pause and rewind in the Audiobus bar before switching focus to Auria. Pause by itself seems to be okay, but so far, I am crash free without hitting rewind. HTH!

Hewpiedawg

Post by Hewpiedawg » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:33 pm

Note that hitting rewind in the Audiobus bar was only a problem if done right after recording a clip.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:30 am

Interesting. Thanks for the tip - I'll check it out.

Rim