Serious lag problem with Audiobus recording

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Eighthours
Expert

Serious lag problem with Audiobus recording

Post by Eighthours » Sat May 25, 2013 4:24 am

I think I'm the only person experiencing this, judging by the response I got to the issue on the Audiobus forum!

When I hit record in the Audiobus side panel (before I then press play to start the recording), it causes the music app I'm using to lag really badly. Some notes don't play at all, the visual cue for playing notes skips, etc. I videoed this happening with Thumbjam but it occurs with all apps. Then when pressing play to record, the first note doesn't sound at all, but the problem then normalises and goes away from the second beat.

I have tried reinstalling Auria and Audiobus but the problem remains. Please see the video below. I don't know what to do, and now I'm wondering if I should backup my iPad and then do a clean install of the whole thing in the hope it'll sort out whatever gremlins are occurring. Any ideas?

http://youtu.be/h7-MRMzMRTg

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Serious lag problem with Audiobus recording

Post by Rim » Sat May 25, 2013 5:45 am

A couple of things to try here:

1. In Auria, go to the settings page, and try using the Audiobus Live Monitoring option. This allows you to monitor directly from the other synth app, instead of through Auria (provided you're not needing to monitor any effects you're adding to that particular track in Auria). If you were already doing this, try it the other way around.

2. I see that you're starting by launching Audiobus, then adding Auria to your output slot. Are you closing all your apps before you start? In other words, double-tap on the home button, and close everything you see there (including Auria and audiobus if they pop up). Once you've done this, try launching Audiobus, and adding your input app first, then Auria. In other words, launch Audiobus first, then add ThumbJam to the input slot, then Auria to the output slot (in that order).

Rim

Eighthours
Expert

Post by Eighthours » Sat May 25, 2013 8:26 am

I've tried all the steps in your post and am still getting the same problem, unfortunately. Next step for me is to backup my IPad and do a clean install, clean out the cobwebs!

RobB
Expert

Post by RobB » Sat May 25, 2013 9:04 am

Hi,
I just tried this since I have Thumbjamb, and it worked fine.
iPad Air / 128 | iOS 7.1 | Apogee Duet | Auria 1.14 | Cubasis 1.7.2
Learning to play drums

Eighthours
Expert

Post by Eighthours » Sat May 25, 2013 10:09 am

Unfortunately, a complete restore of my entire iPad has done nothing to alleviate this problem. I set it up as a new iPad and then downloaded Audiobus, Auria and Thumbjam. Still getting the same issue with the notes. :( (iPad 3, btw.)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat May 25, 2013 10:59 am

I had my doubts that reinstalling would do anything as well ;) Does this happen in apps other than ThumbJam? I can't seem to duplicate this here.

Are you using iOS 5 or 6? Is your iPad Jailbroken? Do you have the latest Audiobus and Auria versions?

Rim

Eighthours
Expert

Post by Eighthours » Sat May 25, 2013 2:39 pm

Rim wrote:I had my doubts that reinstalling would do anything as well ;) Does this happen in apps other than ThumbJam? I can't seem to duplicate this here.

Are you using iOS 5 or 6? Is your iPad Jailbroken? Do you have the latest Audiobus and Auria versions?

Rim
I'm on the latest version of iOS and the latest updates for both Audiobus and Auria (and I've tried reinstalling both apps). It happens with other input apps too - I only used Thumbjam as an example in the video because it's not processor heavy. Not jailbroken. I've tried recording in airplane mode and made sure there are no apps running in the background, same problem. CPU sits at 3% when Auria is idle.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat May 25, 2013 3:43 pm

I'm not really sure what to suggest. It's possible that the combination of Auria and another app might use too many resources (disk/memory/CPU), and this is causing ThumbJam or Audiobus to lag at the beginning. As a workaround, I suggest inserting some bars at the beginning, so it works itself out before the audio begins.

Rim

Eighthours
Expert

Post by Eighthours » Mon May 27, 2013 3:19 am

Found a couple of other people on the Audiobus forum who have the issue. All on iPad 3: http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/1147/ ... al#Item_13

The guy from Holderness Media, who made Echo Pad, is wondering if there is a specific CPU weirdness with the 3, because he has had various support requests that he can't replicate! Others have been testing it out on iPad 2 and iPad Mini, and it doesn't happen at all.

Also, just to say, I did have the same problem with Loopy a couple of updates ago, but it mysteriously vanished after an update and that now works perfectly again.

Checkrath
Expert

Post by Checkrath » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:48 am

Ever since the live Audiobus monitoring feature, all my latency issues went away. I also make sure that the "record monitor" setting is off when doing Audiobus recording...

Eighthours
Expert

Post by Eighthours » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:01 am

I was hoping that 1.10 might magically solve this somehow, but I'm still having the latency problem on my iPad 3 as detailed in the OP. Rim, is there any way for me to send you some kind of live monitoring report so that you can see what's happening in the period before hitting record and then hitting play that is causing such a bad stutter in my audio?

Michael from Audiobus asked for a user having a problem with Loopy HD to send him a file from the iPhone Configuration Utility (which also supports iPad): http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1465 Would this be useful to you at all? If so, I could go through the process and you might be able to interpret the results.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:11 am

I've looked into this issue before, and can't seem to solve it. There's nothing Auria does to delay the audio internally. It's possible this is related to the audio category Auria uses, which is multiRoute (most other apps use playAndRecord). There are several outstanding bugs we've reported to Apple related to this category, so it wouldn't be a surprise if this was the case here as well.

Rim

Eighthours
Expert

Post by Eighthours » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:35 am

Rim wrote:I've looked into this issue before, and can't seem to solve it. There's nothing Auria does to delay the audio internally. It's possible this is related to the audio category Auria uses, which is multiRoute (most other apps use playAndRecord). There are several outstanding bugs we've reported to Apple related to this category, so it wouldn't be a surprise if this was the case here as well.

Rim
OK, Rim. Thanks for looking into it.