Cursor positions don't line up

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Arhythminhim
Expert

Cursor positions don't line up

Post by Arhythminhim » Mon May 13, 2013 10:39 pm

I've noticed that depending on the Auria project sample rate, these HD loops end at different spots. Example. When zoomed in max, 2 bars of 110bpm at 44.1khz ends before the 3rd bar, but in 48khz it ends just past the 3rd bar and at 96khz it's back to just shy of the 3rd bar.

When a region is looped these gaps and overruns I think get bigger or worse, and throw off timing when trying to add other loops and using cursor snap to locations to time it all.

Everything is updated...is this normal?

I've included 3 screen shots of the same DrumloopsHD loop copied into the 3 different Auria sample rates. Look at the location of the curser, the snap to setting, and the curser time in the top right. All 3 are slightly different. In the 44.1 example, the curser can not even be seen on the screen when at the 3.1.100 position.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but I just can't seem to get multi duplicated loops to stay consistent after many bars.
Attachments
image.jpg
(158.96 KiB) Downloaded 417 times
image.jpg
(165.18 KiB) Downloaded 417 times
image.jpg
(152.64 KiB) Downloaded 417 times
Last edited by Arhythminhim on Mon May 13, 2013 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Arhythminhim
Expert

Re: Drum loopsHD don't line up with beats

Post by Arhythminhim » Mon May 13, 2013 11:47 pm

So I just duplicated a sample a few time, zoomed in max and see this. Why does the curser not line up with the 7:1 mark on the scale? Is the counter and associated cursor position the correct value?
Attachments
image.jpg
(168.04 KiB) Downloaded 415 times

Matt W
Expert

Re: Cursor positions don't line up

Post by Matt W » Tue May 14, 2013 11:48 am

Would you be able to send us the specific loop audio file you're using in the top 3 examples so we can take a look at what might be happening? Email it to support at auriaapp dot com so we can see if there's a problem with the way the loop is being imported. Also let us know how you are bringing the loop into the project, i.e. using AudioCopy/Paste or directly importing the file with the "Import Audio" command.

It also sounds like this particular loop isn't exactly 110bpm, just a hair faster or slower, which is why it doesn't lineup after you duplicate it a number of times.

One way to fix that is to use Auria's Time Stretch, with Snap set to Bar, to first drag the loop endpoint exactly to the bar line before copying/looping the region; that way it will stay locked to the project tempo no matter how many times you repeat the region.
Matthew Werner
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.

Arhythminhim
Expert

Post by Arhythminhim » Tue May 14, 2013 2:22 pm

Sure thing, I'll email that sample when I get on the other computer. The sample I used is from the "Rock and Pop" section "110bpm modern 1", and it was imported via audiocopy/paste(clipboard)

But sample loops aside, why does the cursor not line up with its bars? If it says bar 7:1.100 in the top right, shouldn't the cursor on the scale be right over the 7:1, and same with the 3:1? But again, depending on the auria project sample rate, the cursor position error seems the vary.

It seems to me there might be two different issues here. One is the loops not fitting it's BPM/bars, and the other seems to be an inaccurate cursor location? If the snap to function isn't accurate, maybe that's throwing off the loops aligning properly with bars?

Thanks again

Arhythminhim
Expert

Post by Arhythminhim » Tue May 14, 2013 3:58 pm

I'm having trouble figuring a way to get the loop from the app into an email from my ipad....any ideas?

Arhythminhim
Expert

Post by Arhythminhim » Tue May 14, 2013 5:00 pm

....I just did it again with the Hollywood Loops..."Menu, Import Audio, Loops, BIG Rock Drums, SRD_BRD_110BPM, 110BPM_SRK_31_Lo"

Weird... I did it a few times and got different results each time
Attachments
image.jpg
(161.98 KiB) Downloaded 371 times

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue May 14, 2013 9:08 pm

The cursor can display a much higher resolution than the time display, so unless you have the snap set to bars or beats, the cursor will be free-moving.

Rim

Arhythminhim
Expert

Post by Arhythminhim » Wed May 15, 2013 4:49 am

But if the snap to cursor isn't accurate, and these samples don't fit perfect, isn't that what's adding up to larger issues when duplicating regions many times over?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed May 15, 2013 5:49 am

I'm not able to reproduce the snap inaccuracy you're seeing there. Are you using the latest Auria version (1.091)?

Here's what I did:

1. Create a new project at 44.1
2. Set the time mode to Bars:Beats
3. Set the cursor to 3:1:1.000
4. Zoomed all the way in - verified that it's perfect
5. Created a new project at 96K.
6. Set the time mode to Bars:Beats
7. Set the cursor to 3:1:1.000
8. Zoomed all the way in - verified that it's perfect as well.

Please let me know how to duplicate what you're seeing.

Thanks,
Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Wed May 15, 2013 8:12 am

I just tried this with a 2bar, 60bpm loop from Drum Loops HD. The loop should be exactly 8secs long. It isn't! It's 7.998secs. (according to Auria, AudioShare and Hokusai).

Auria's sample rate conversion on audiopasting is consistent. No matter what rate the target project is created with (96/48/44.1 kHz), as long as the BPM is correctly set (60bmp, 4/4 time in my test case), the sample occupies the same space in the timeline of 1 bar plus 3 beats plus c.119.75 120ths of a beat (with a counter reading of 2:4.4.119). Put another way, that's 7.9979 beats. This is consistent with the actual sample length of 7.998secs.

As Rim implied, the discrepancy between the apparent position of the cursor on the timeline and the reported position on the counter is due to the fact that, when zoomed in to maximum resolution, you can move the cursor a great distance along the timeline before the counter registers a change of 120th of a beat (the smallest unit of the counter, in Beats:Bars mode). Zoom in to max and you'll see.

So, because the original sample isn't exactly 2 bars long, it's necessary to to time-stretch it before duplicating it (as Matt W suggested).

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed May 15, 2013 12:25 pm

Let's separate these two issues:

1. Some loops in Drumagog Loops HD might not be exactly 8 bars in length. So timestretching won't help if the loop is incorrectly trimmed by the author. Timestretching relies on the fact that a loop is trimmed on an exact beat boundary. If it's not, you'll have issues (with any DAW). It looks like that's what's happening here.

2. The cursor / gridlines discrepancy. I'd love to duplicate the issue you're seeing here, but I can't. Can you please try doing exactly what I did in my example steps, and verify that you're not seeing a discrepancy. If you can get a discrepancy to show (like the picture you sent), I would really love to learn how to make it happen, so I can fix it.

Thanks,
Rim

Arhythminhim
Expert

Post by Arhythminhim » Wed May 15, 2013 5:46 pm

EDIT: I missed your specific instructions RIM, I'll do that in my next free moment

K I just did it again...audiopasted the loop, set snap to to beats, then when I try to snap to the last beat(or any beat in this example) the cursor is ending up at .119

After pasting multiple loops, and using the snap to on beats, after many bars, this tiny discrepancy is adding up to throw it all off I think
Attachments
image.jpg
(158.09 KiB) Downloaded 316 times

Arhythminhim
Expert

Post by Arhythminhim » Wed May 15, 2013 7:19 pm

Even when zoomed out in my last example, when I try to snap to bars, I keep getting the .119 position....no audio loaded and snap to seems to work fine, landing right on the beat

Yeah I don't get it...started a new project, selected snap to beats, everything was fine (cursor was stoping right on 1.1.100)until I audiopasted the 3rd fill, and now the cursor only stops at the .119 position when cycling thru all the beats. This confuses me.

I don't know exactly how this all works, but I know by the 6-7min mark of the project, after using snap to beats, and duplicating and audiopasting loops after one another...something gets thrown off, and there's either a small but audible gap in waveform, or it's "rushed" starting too soon.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed May 15, 2013 7:50 pm

OK, that's definitely not right, I'll add this to my list to investigate. Thanks for the tip about audiopasting. I'll experiment with that.

Rim

Arhythminhim
Expert

Post by Arhythminhim » Wed May 15, 2013 11:23 pm

Here it is snapping to one bar at the .199 value, then the next bar to the right is showing right on the bar at .100
Attachments
image.jpg
(510.87 KiB) Downloaded 300 times
image.jpg
(514.18 KiB) Downloaded 300 times