AAF problems

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Washington

AAF problems

Post by Washington » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:20 pm

Auria keeps crashing when I try to import a zipped AAF file (incl. the individual audio files) from Avid Media Composer 6.5.

Is Media Composer supported?

Rim
Site Admin

Re: AAF problems

Post by Rim » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:13 pm

We haven't tested AAFs from Media Composer. It's possible there's something in those AAFs that's 100% standard. Have you tried a smaller AAF, to rule out size as a factor?

Anyone else try AAFs from Media Composer?

Washington

Post by Washington » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:40 am

Thanks. The AAF was fairly small at around 20MB. Since you mentioned the file size: is there a limitation as to how big an AAF import can be?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:15 am

There isn't a practical limit to the file size, but some users have reported issues with AAF files that have thousands of edits in them. it seems there might be a limit to the number of individual edits.

Rim

Navpack
Expert

Post by Navpack » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:00 am

Following up on Rim's response; I've had difficulties importing a AAF projects that contain over 1k regions. File size of the .aaf itself in these cases were over 8meg. This has happened on several shows, and the only work-around I found was to consolidate edits in Nuendo, then export out a new .aaf.

These projects started as OMF, which I imported into Nuendo fine to make the .aaf versions. Doing some testing, once I consolidated below the 1000 limit I could round-trip the aaf both back into Nuendo and also Auria.

I may for the next show look to divide up into two sessions, but ideally would like to find a way to make this process smoother.

Phil.