Can't record more than 8 tracks...

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

werder

Can't record more than 8 tracks...

Post by werder » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:01 pm

I have a Ipad3 16gb and I use a RME Fireface UCX usb interface with the camera connection kit from Apple.
I want to record multiple tracks for a live recording, but I can't record more than 8 tracks at 44,1 khz at once.
I've got 8gb free disk space and have closed all other apps, in Auria I use a large recording buffersize and Aux delay compensation is off.

The message that everytime appears is: Disk Overload.

Whats the problem?
I've bought Auria to record multiple tracks.
You advertise with 24track recording, even at 96khz...

Please help, regards Werder.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Can't record more than 8 tracks...

Post by Rim » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:48 pm

Werder,

Sorry for the trouble. Most users have no issues at all recording 96K/24 bit for hours. There have been some rare cases where this occurs, and usually it happens when the disk is near full. The iPad is a black box when it comes to the disk performance, and it seems that if the disk becomes fragmented (or the equivalent for flash drives - near empty), things slow down and disk overloads can occur. It's also possible that some process is running at the same time (perhaps some Apple process, like a cleanup or a iCloud backup, etc). Are you running the latest iOS version? Also, have you tried rebooting the iPad? Is your iPad jailbroken? This has happened to a few users with jailbroken iPads, which is why I ask.

By the way, the next Auria version, 1.07 will have an adjustable disk buffer (in addition to the record buffer setting), which will add better protection against these sort of errors, as rare as they are.

Rim

werder

Post by werder » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:06 am

Rim,

Thanks for your response.

I don't use icloud backup and it's running the latest Ios version.
The Ipad is not jailbroken.

I've tried rebooting the Ipad en I've reinstalled Auria, this has no effects.
De error seems also to be random sometimes: I succesfully recorded 16 tracks (at 48khz) for 5 minutes and after a short break (10sec. or so), when I wanted to record agian it gave a "disk overload' message after 45 seconds of recording. After that it happened frequently and Auria became unstable.

You mentionend that maybe it's the defragmatation of the flash disk, do I understand it correct that it can happen when the disk is almost full or almost empty? Is there any way to run a disk-defragmatation app?

Is bringing the Ipad back to a original factorysetting an option(for al last resort)?

Thanks, Werder.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:17 pm

Resetting the iPad to factory is a drastic measure, but it's possible that this will also reset the flash drive. It's really hard to say, as it's a black box inside. Before doing something like that, I would experiment with freeing up more space.

Also, do you have a different audio interface to test? If so, it would be good to test whether this is related to the specific interface you have.

Rim