Audio disappeared

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Audio disappeared

Post by Rim » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:13 am

There's no reason I can think of for Auria to delete audio files. The only function in Auria that has the power to actually delete audio is the auto cleanup mode, so my theory is that auto cleanup incorrectly deleted the files, thinking they were no longer used. Let me know if you see that mode enabled in your settings (it's under General).

Rim

Qwerty

Post by Qwerty » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:30 pm

Just checked and it was on auto cleanup! Is this a setting I will have to remember to change every time I start a project? Still don't understand why it would have deleted this track anyway tho, as although it was frozen, it was clearly being used.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:26 am

Auto cleanup automatically deletes files which are no longer used in a project. It leaves frozen files alone (as you might want to unfreeze them later), but apparently something went wrong. Possibly there was a memory warning or a crash which caused auto cleanup to think some of the files were no longer used, so it deleted them. This happens very rarely (I've tested it extensively with every conceivable scenario and have never lost any files), but it's something on my list to continue to investigate, as there are reports of this happening from time to time.

Rim

Qwerty

Post by Qwerty » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:24 pm

Ok thanks, no great loss in the end as I had luckily mixed down the track it deleted as a WAV file beforehand. It was probably my own fault mixing at a high CPU level (think it got to about 75% at the time in question) but I hadn't received a warning that I can recall :/ The new ios on my iPad 4 has really killed the handling power. I hate apple sometimes, LOVE this app tho, it is rediculously good! Amazing what you can do with it and you get people like me complaining about it all the time haha
Thanks for your speedy replies and keep up the good work!

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:12 pm

Hey Rim, this is happening to me as well. I have a very large project. It seems that as the project grew, Auria would freeze some of the older tracks, automatically. Now when I need to visit those older tracks and unfreezed them, the audio was there until I unfroze multiple tracks at once...then all the sudden the first tracks audio is just flat-out gone. Completely missing. Then I went an loaded an the oldest snapshot and the audio says "missing". Then I went back to most current snapshot and even more of the audio is missing, completely gone. Audio that wasn't even frozen to begin with. I do have auto project clean up turned on so it minimizes project size since its 42 tracks so far. No plugins are being used at all. Some of this audio is crucial and I'm not sure why it auto freezes older tracks when I add new ones. This problem though has never happened before.

iOS 6.1.3
iPad 4
Auria 1.130
Attachments
Photo Apr 09, 12 37 43 PM(1).jpg

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:58 pm

Do you have Auto Project Cleanup turned on in the settings? This has been causing issues for other users lately.

Rim

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:56 pm

Yeah, I do..for all my projects, actually. In fact, I've seen where it auto-freezes tracks on the rest of my projects too.

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:25 am

This is absolutely fundamental. A DAW shouldn't chew up and lose your audio.

Dominic

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Fri May 08, 2015 11:14 am

I've just had a similar experience: as my project grew over 40 tracks Auria started to automatically freeze some tracks (unbeknown to me), which was quite annoying.

Then when I tried to unfreeze those tracks, the audio was gone.

I do have auto-cleanup enabled, otherwise the storage really balloons, but Auria should not be freezing my tracks or deleting tracks that are still in use.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri May 08, 2015 1:27 pm

Auria doesn't automatically freeze tracks. It's possible that some of your tracks had missing regions on them. A missing region will look very similar to a frozen track. The difference is it'll also say (missing) next to the region name. I've had reports of regions going missing when auto cleanup is turned on. I haven't been able to reproduce this here, so I'm not sure exactly what causes this, but it appears to be very rare. It'l on my list to investigate further.

Rim

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Fri May 08, 2015 3:26 pm

Auria definitely froze some tracks - they had the snowflake symbol on the FX button and in the channel strip, but when those regions were unfrozen the audio disappeared.

I did have some crashes around then, so maybe that was the cause, but tracks that were previously not frozen (I hadn't frozen any tracks at all) became frozen by themselves, about six in total.

Also all my effects on all my tracks were reset to default state. I lost quite a bit of work all in all, and all the snapshots were also in the same state.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri May 08, 2015 8:09 pm

Sounds like your project got corrupted somehow.

Rim

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Sat May 09, 2015 3:36 am

You can download the project from this link if you want to investigate

Track number one is a track that got frozen somehow by Auria, and all the audio on it has disappeared. Any attempt to unfreeeze the track will result in an instant crash and exit.

Luckily for me most of the tracks I lost were placeholders so it wasn't a disaster, I only had to re-record two tracks.

A summary of what happened:

1) I was recording and adding tracks to the project, and had reached around 40 tracks so I decided to delete some of the unneeded ones.

2) I clicked the multiple selection button in the edit window and selected four tracks, then hit the delete button

3) Auria crashed to desktop

4) I launched Auria again and then decided to delete the tracks one by one

5) At this point I noticed that a few of the older tracks (tracks 1 to 6) were now frozen, although I had not frozen any tracks myself in this project

6) When I unfroze each track the audio in the track disappeared

7) I deleted all the frozen tracks bar the remaining one which can't be deleted without crashing Auria

8) I then noticed that all the active plugins in the project (Convolution Reverb, Pro Q, Classic Verb) had been reset to their default states.

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:53 pm

I just verified that this is unfortunately happening also with Auria Pro 2.04 on my iPad Pro on 9.3.1, it randomly froze older tracks on its own and then when I go to unfreeze them it not only deletes parts of that track but also parts of other older tracks too. This is a major disappointment since I thought this bug was fixed on the older versions of Auria and not Pro.