"Disc Overload" while recording 18-24Tracks

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

chro

"Disc Overload" while recording 18-24Tracks

Post by chro » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:31 am

Moin,

I've just tried Auria with the following setup:

- Antelope Orion 32 with 24Ch USB setting.
- Original Apple Camera Connection Kit
- 44.1 kHz SR
- IOS 6.1
- no other apps running in background

In first place, everything seems to be fine, CPU load is constantly @7%, Disk load @ 2-3%, spiking every 10-20s up to 80 - 100% (or even more!). After some time though (say every 5-10min, not reproducable) the recording stops with the error message "Disc Overload - Please use a higher Buffer size". :shock:

I've tried different Buffer sizes, but nothing changes, I couldn't make a recording over 15Minutes at all with a number of channels greater than 16. Afterwards I even tried recording with a Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 with different channel setups, but only 8 channels seemed to work fine (stopped testing after beeing fed up).

Is there anything I can improve?

Greetz,

Chro

drock
Expert

Re: "Disc Overload" while recording 18-24Tracks

Post by drock » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:39 am

Its probably just a free disk space thing. I kept getting that message when I started tracking 8 tracks of simultaneous drums at 96K on my ipad 3. I thought I had enough space to do this but I didnt. So it seems that if its a few tracks at 96 or a lot of tracks at 44, it all equals the same thing = a ton of data is being recorded to the disk all at once. Its almost like Auria has to cache the data a few times over while its streaming to the disk. So if you have only about 7 gigs left to record? then in reality you probably need, say, 20 or so gigs left.
What fixed it for me was purchasing a 64gb ipad 4 and used it for nothing else but auria. So far, so good! No more disk errors. I know this fix may not apply to everyone but the point is you have to have a ton of free space to do what you want there.
I could be wrong and Rim can correct me (please do!) but this is what I've found so far.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:52 am

Most likely this is the issue. In cases where users have gotten this message it's usually solved by freeing up more disk space. The problem is caused by the iPad's flash memory needing to do housekeeping when the disk gets close to full. This extra housekeeping takes time to do, and recording a large number of tracks at once demands very high performance out of the disk system.

Rim

chro

Post by chro » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:22 pm

Thank you for all your answers! I just tried freeing Disk space. In the end I had about 18GB, but the recording again stopped after a few minutes (round about 2 min.) with the same error message. Though the Orion ist not supported by Cubasis yet, recording 24 tracks with this App worked fine until I stopped it after 7 min.
That's pretty frustrating!!

Regards, Christian

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:44 pm

We don't have an Orion (although they said they're sending us one for testing). I'll have a look myself when we receive it and see if there's some compatibility problem.

What iPad model do you have?

Have you also tried to reboot the iPad (hold down the power switch for a few seconds until it powers down)?

Rim