Will Midi and/or Audiobus in Auria require ipad upgrade?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

ChrisG
Expert

Re: Will Midi and/or Audiobus in Auria require ipad upgrade?

Post by ChrisG » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:37 am

dominicperry wrote:
I guess the problem is, however much CPU you have, it gets used up. I just fired up FabFilter ProL on my iPad 4, and using the highest settings (4x oversampling) it eats 52% CPU on its own.

Dominic
52% on iPad 4 would make that plugin absolutely useless using those settings on iPad 2 and 3 since they are about 50% slower on the CPU side compared to iPad 4. Maybe it's time for the devs to put requirement specs in the description?

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:49 am

I see your point.
There are also arguments that developers shouldn't hold back on features or performance just so that their software works ok on older hardware.

Anyway, things like convolution reverbs have been like this for ages - you can crank up the quality if you have the spare CPU.

In the case of FabFilter Pro-L, if you don't use the 4x oversampling option, then it runs at about 20% on the iPad 4. So, it's not unusable on slower hardware, just greedy.

Dominic

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:00 am

It's impossible for us to create CPU usage charts for all the different iPad models because there are simply too many combinations of settings. We designed Auria to be like most PC/Mac daws, where all the settings are available (even dangerous ones that eat up tons of CPU :). In this case, it's up to the user to watch the CPU meter.

Rim

Argybargy

Post by Argybargy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:15 am

I think iPad CPU consumption for advanced audio applications is a relevant topic but needs a little common sense applied. iPads are tablets, not PCs and they have limited power.

I'm imagining that in order to use Auria to record other iOS apps via audiobus it's going to take some considerable CPU power and to work constantly checking CPU meters as well as audio meters is going to cause me headaches (I have limited patience as it is!) and if there's a sure fire way to glitch or drop out audio in an app, then it's by swapping apps whilst recording.

My intended workflow once Auria has audiobus is to get another iPad and just use Auria as a standalone recording app on the iPad 2 with a later version iPad processing synths, fx etc. Does anyone know if its possible to link & sync iPads for audio/midi/audiobus?

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:45 am

You can link auria to another auria (or any other app that supports it) with WIST.Works via Bluetooth.

The audiobus team had some plans in the past to stream audio wireless from one to another device but i don't know if there are still plans for it in the future.Guess latency would be a big problem.Bluetooth is just too slow for low latency audio streaming.
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

fusionarts
Expert

Post by fusionarts » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:24 pm

ChrisG wrote:
dominicperry wrote:
I guess the problem is, however much CPU you have, it gets used up. I just fired up FabFilter ProL on my iPad 4, and using the highest settings (4x oversampling) it eats 52% CPU on its own.

Dominic
52% on iPad 4 would make that plugin absolutely useless using those settings on iPad 2 and 3 since they are about 50% slower on the CPU side compared to iPad 4. Maybe it's time for the devs to put requirement specs in the description?
On my IPad 4 I ran 1 instance each of ClassicVerb, Timeless 2, and Pro-L, CPU was running @ just 20%. I see that as being more than acceptable.
"In cordibus nostris Iesus in aeternum vivat"
“L i v e J e s u s i n o u r h e a r t s, f o r e v e r”
-----------------------------------------------------------
iPad Pro - 128GB - iOS 9.3 - Auria Pro

fusionarts
Expert

Post by fusionarts » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:28 pm

fusionarts wrote:
ChrisG wrote:
dominicperry wrote:

Dominic
On my IPad 4 I ran 1 instance each of ClassicVerb, Timeless 2, and Pro-L, CPU was running @ just 20%. I see that as being more than acceptable.
Guess I should read more closely before commenting. I just noticed you were running Pro L with 4x over sampling, with that config it brought me up to 59%. Fine for IPad 4 users, but I can see the the issue for other IPads.
"In cordibus nostris Iesus in aeternum vivat"
“L i v e J e s u s i n o u r h e a r t s, f o r e v e r”
-----------------------------------------------------------
iPad Pro - 128GB - iOS 9.3 - Auria Pro

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:05 pm

Yes, the oversampling settings really cause high CPU usage, so make sure you don't use those unless you have enough CPU available.

Rim

bendy

Post by bendy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:16 pm

Well I have been using the ipad 2 with multitrack daw and audiobus and midi clock to run funk box and sunrizer. And it's bloody a bloody marvel. Works like a dream.

But there is a massive but

all the audio comes in on one mono track, unlike the multitrack daw that splits things up with its audiobus magic

So an ipad to can cope with all this magic but we just need the clock sync in multitrack daw and auria.

Really you can forget all the fancy midi edit stuff at the beginning. Just the midi clock, it'll drive drum machines and arps.

Can't wait