Adverts in Auria

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

dominicperry
Expert

Adverts in Auria

Post by dominicperry » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:56 am

Can I respectfully request that you do not advertise Auria from within Auria. I'm talking specifically about the "Plug-in Store" menu item at the bottom of the list of plugs when you are using the channel strip.
Buying plugins or any other items should, in my opinion, be limited to the Auria Store option at the bottom of the main Menu. There is something unpleasant about being invited to part with cash at random places within a program you are in the middle of using it.
Harrison Mixbus started doing this, and I stopped using it. Apple now does it within the 'iPod' app - if you don't own the whole album it invites you to buy the rest from the Store.
It's touted as a matter of convenience, but really it's a way of trying to get cash out of people. I understand Auria is a cheap product - PC and Mac DAWs cost a lot more - but there are now over $350 of plug-ins available. That's great, but I don't want to feel like I'm being pushed/pulled into purchasing things in the middle of recording or mixing.

I know this may seem like a lot of fuss for a single extra menu entry. But it is potentially one of many places for adverts to pop up, asking if you want more IR files, asking if you want to buy the video plug-in, taking you to the FabFilter website etc etc. I don't think you should go down that road and this is the start of it - you have a duplicate menu item when there is no need. We know where the Auria Store is - on the main Menu. No need for it to be anywhere else.

Dominic

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Adverts in Auria

Post by Rim » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:01 am

Dominic,

I understand your point, but we don't make a dime on in-app purchases. All of the cash goes directly to the third party plugin developers, who have worked hard at porting their plugins to work with Auria. It's a small concession I've done in order to make it attractive for plugin developers to make their plugins available. Removing that small line would make it less attractive for plugin developers to port their plugins to Auria, which means we'll start seeing less plugins being available. I feel having that small line in there is very reasonable.

Rim

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:09 am

I get what you saying and adverts can get annoying for sure. There is a case to say that a link to the shop in the channel strip menu is in fact useful for the user who may of forgotten or never knew there were additional plugins that could help with their mixing.

Personally I've never noticed that particular menu option which probably is a sign of how unobtrusive it actually is.

kwalker0210
Expert

Post by kwalker0210 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:23 am

Rim, you wear a lot of hats, don't you? I don't think the in app advertising is that bad, especially when compared to what other companies do. Truth be told, I haven't seen any in app adverts. Is it triggered by a prior purchase?

atomgram

Post by atomgram » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:24 am

This doesn't bother me. I see it as a reminder as to the stuff available and existing as a convenience more than anything.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:25 am

No, there are no real ads in Auria. What the OP was referring to is that the plugin list in the channelstrip has a line at the bottom which says "Plugin Store".

Rim

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:48 am

Rim,

Thanks for your considered response. I think the line I've quoted there is, however, indication that my worries are justified. But I can agree that a single extra 'mention' is not, in itself, any burden. (Unless I regularly hit it accidentally!).

It's a pity you don't make any money out of IAPs. And, as a ground breaking product, I understand that you have to do something to balance commercial pressures with functionality from 3rd party vendors. As you say, what they bring to the table is important.

As an aside, I think you'd get more in-app purchases if you:
1) Made all the third party plug-ins more prominent on the Auria web-site
2) Provided good quality sound samples of each plug-in on the web site
3) Provided YouTube videos of each plug-in in action.

I think the lack of demo mode plug-ins and the virtual impossibility of money back from IAPs means that good clear examples of each plug-in in action would create a lot more sales.

Thanks again.

Dominic

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:57 am

I agree, those are all great ideas. We've left it up to the third party developers to do their own promotion, including audio demos and videos. We simply don't have the time to create these for them. I've made suggestions repeatedly to the developers, so hopefully we'll see more video and audio material soon.

Rim

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:43 pm

Just to prove I'm not that upset, I've just bought the FabFilter Pro-L. :mrgreen:

Dominic

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:17 pm

The plugins that we just got to purchase in Auria are the same plugins that FabFilter offer their PC/Mac customers. FabFilters web site has a pro demo of every plugin they sell in action by a very well known engineer Dan Warrol. He gives all kinds of pro tips on how to use these plugins. Just go to
FabFilter.com and click videos.