Insert vs Aux

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

thebioguy
Expert

Insert vs Aux

Post by thebioguy » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:16 am

I think I understand the difference between the two, but I'm using inserts exclusively. If I route signals to a sub, I can still modify faders and pans, so when and why would I use Aux?

Thanks.

instinctive
Expert

Re: Insert vs Aux

Post by instinctive » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:40 am

Simple explanation: You use Inserts when you want to modify the *entire* signal (EQ, Compressor, Waveshaper, etc.). You use Auxes when you want to *add* something to *several* signals (Reverb, Delay ("Echo")). Using Auxes for that having the huge advantage that you only need *one* Reverb plugin (which uses a lot of CPU) for an arbitrary number of channels (as they can simply add up in the Aux), thus potentially saving an order of magnitude of CPU resources.

thebioguy
Expert

Post by thebioguy » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:43 am

Thanks!

So how is that different from sending the signal to a subgroup and using an insert on that subgroup?
It seems that an Aux is a subgroup in disguise.

instinctive
Expert

Post by instinctive » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:03 am

Aux sends allow you to send an arbitrary amount of the signal to an Aux bus. Using a subgroup, you would only be able to send a fixed amount, thus only giving you a fixed amount of reverb (for example) for each channel, while with auxes, you can control the level of reverb added by controlling the Aux send level.

A very old, basic, yet genius concept in sound engineering :-)

thebioguy
Expert

Post by thebioguy » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:29 am

I understand that, in principle, but I can still adjust the faders and pans on individual tracks of a subgroup. For example, I have drums recorded on tracks 1-8, all being sent to subgroup 1. I can still pan my toms and adjust the faders on my kick drum. Doesn't that send different signals to the insert effect I have setup on subgroup 1? Even if I wanted a different reverb on my HH and cymbals, couldn't I just route those tracks to sub2 and apply the insert there? I still don't get the difference (in Auria) between insert effects and aux effects, when subgroups are an option.

instinctive
Expert

Post by instinctive » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:34 am

Uhm... the main motivation behind Auxes is *not* having to insert several of the same effect plugins to have different amounts of effect for different signals...

Maybe someone else can explain? I think I'm not the perfect "teacher" ;)

thebioguy
Expert

Post by thebioguy » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:39 am

The mark of a good teacher is not how many questions his students can readily answer, but how many questions his students ask that he finds hard to answer. So, you're doing great. :D

To be clear, I am sending the dry signal to the subgroup, so I am only using one instance of the insert on the subgroup. I thought this was the strategy to save CPU.

instinctive
Expert

Post by instinctive » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:03 am

OK, I'll try again in order to be a perfect teacher then ;)

Often in a production, you will have like 16 tracks or more. Say, 10 of them need some kind of reverb. In most cases, you will NOT needed 10 TOTALLY DIFFERENT reverbs for them. Maybe you need 5 SHORT (drum plate) reverbs for drums and another 5 longer ("Hall" etc.) reverbs for the other 5 instruments.

Now, if you do this with inserts, you will a) have a lot of housekeeping to do by managing 10 different plugins, and b) have your iPad explode because of the CPU resources 10 reverb plugins eat.

So, you do something different: You insert ONE reverb (the drum plate) into Aux 1, and ANOTHER ONE reverb (the hall) into Aux 2. You set BOTH reverbs to 100% WET (no dry signal goes through), as when using Aux sends, the original signal still goes out of the channel to the main mix.

Now, by sending parts of each of the 10 signals to either of the Aux sends, you can ADD the right reverb to EACH of the 10 channels, and by controlling the AMOUNT of signal sent to each Aux, you can even control HOW MUCH of each of the reverbs you want to add to each signal.

You CANNOT do this by sending them to a subgroup, as you can only switch the subgroup ON/OFF, NOT control the AMOUNT of signal you want to send to the subgroup, and you have to do the dry/wet mixing FIXED in the subgroup.

It may be different in Auria (I didn't take a look right now), but that's how "normal" (analog) mixing consoles work, and also all mixing consoles in DAWs I know (Cubase, Logic).

thebioguy
Expert

Post by thebioguy » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:32 am

OK, I got it!!

I can mix the dry and wet signal with an aux, it not with a subgroup. Is that it?

instinctive
Expert

Post by instinctive » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:34 am

I guess, yes :) I think in these cases it really helps when you grew up with analog consoles and actual CABLES because you could SEE how it worked ;-)

thebioguy
Expert

Post by thebioguy » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:43 am

Thanks professor.

instinctive
Expert

Post by instinctive » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:49 am

No problems. $10 per word ;-)

thebioguy
Expert

Post by thebioguy » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:10 am

:shock: Thank goodness for the "New Years Eve Discount"!
The check is in the mail. :wink:

Cheers!