Auria iCloud backup

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

drock
Expert

Auria iCloud backup

Post by drock » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:51 pm

So, what does iCloud actually back up when it comes to auria? I recently installed auria onto a new iPad and yet all it showed me was the default folders and The Approach, just like a new fresh install...but none of my previous projects showed up. But I thought when it backs up to iCloud that all my stuff will magically show up on a new device, no? I mean, I see that auria is taking up gigs and gigs of iCloud storage which forces me to pay for more storage, so what's the benefit? I still had to connect to iTunes and copy my old projects over. So, what am I missing here? Should I just turn off iCloud for auria and save space and $$$?

As a side note, I will say that I had a large 5GB folder so maybe there's a space limit??
Thanks!

dominicperry
Expert

Re: Auria iCloud backup

Post by dominicperry » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:13 am

If you have an iCloud backup you can restore an entire device (either a reset device, or a replacement) from the Cloud. But you have to choose to do so. It doesn't happen by itself. It means you don't have to have a computer to back up your stuff. Clever and useful for things like Contacts and Calendars (which also work across multiple devices simultaneously) but maybe not so useful for massive audio files. The chances are that if you are out somewhere, the Auria audio files will never get backed up over 2G/3G because they are too big. So you will have to wait until you get home, in which case, you might as well use iTunes and back them up to your computer. However, when someone breaks into your house and takes your iPad, Computer and TimeMachine backup disk, if you have an iCloud backup, when your insurance money buys you a new iPad, you can restore from the cloud and you won't have lost everything.

Dominic

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:28 am

That's right - iCould will back up all your Auria data, including large files. There's no limit as far as I know, except your storage plan limit. But restoring is not automatic. You have to manually restore.

The only thing that's not backed up is the IR files folder and the Approach demo song. This is due to an apple rule which says that an app can't add new files to the documents folder unless they are flagged to not back up. User created data is fine, and that's why your projects get backed up.

Rim

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:06 am

So how do manually restore Auria projects? Are you talking about when you first set up a device and you get the options to either set up as a new device or restore from a backup? In the very beginning steps of iOS setup screens.

So even though it was a new device I guess I should've set it up as a backup, huh...

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:29 am

That's right. iCloud only lets you restore when you wipe your device (or get a new device). It's an all or nothing event (there's no way to only restore a certain app, or to decide at some point to do a restore).

Rim