Knob and Slider sensitivity

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

thebioguy
Expert

Knob and Slider sensitivity

Post by thebioguy » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:26 pm

I am finding that when I try to lift my finger after adjusting a knob or slider, the value does a quick final jump to something else.
Is there anyway to fix this? I'm thinking that a two finger method may work here. It would go like this:
One finger to choose your value, then when you have it, drop a second finger on the screen anywhere to,lock the value, then lift the first finger.

What do you think?

mtingle
Expert

Re: Knob and Slider sensitivity

Post by mtingle » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:40 pm

that does happen on occasion. I found you can get things exact if you remember to lift your finger off directly perpendicular to the screen.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:08 pm

It also may help to use the other knob mode (you can set the knob mode to either circular or linear in the settings).

Rim

thebioguy
Expert

Post by thebioguy » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:43 pm

I will try that. Thanks!

Another method to consider would be to have the parameter freeze on a number if the dial is not moved for a period of time (1-2sec), to allow the finger to come off without changing the frozen number.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:21 am

The problem with that is, as far as the iPad is concerned, you are still moving the control until you let go. And if I dampen the response, it'll not be possible to make fine movements when you need to.

Switching to circular provides much finer control. The reason for this is because once you tap and hold on a control, you can then move your finger away from the control (far away), and use the entire iPad surface to make your adjustment.

Rim

instinctive
Expert

Post by instinctive » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:14 am

Uhm, shouldn't it be possible to simply ignore all movements that have happened during the last 50 milliseconds before the finger left the surface? Like, keep a history of all values the knob had during the adjustment, and when you recognize that the touch is 'gone', revert to the value 50 ms before?

I know, not even Apple do this in their own UIs, but hey, we're all about innovation ;-)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:27 am

That's a good idea, but since the control is operating in real time, you'd hear the effect of the control moving to the wrong position. Then you'd hear the effect of the control snapping back to where it was suppose to be 50ms ago. So it's a good solution for setting controls statically, but if you were doing it during a mix or automation, you'd hear this correction.

Rim

instinctive
Expert

Post by instinctive » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:14 am

Yes, sure... I'm not sure what's worse though - having to fiddle around a few times because of the jump, or hearing a 'virtual jump' ;) I'll let you decide ;)

thebioguy
Expert

Post by thebioguy » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:30 am

I thought of the "wider circle - greater resolution" relationship, but didn't think to try it yet. Thanks! That should do the trick for most situations.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:34 am

True... I may experiment with this a bit. I'm always leery of introducing any changes that would affect the feel of the controls.

Rim

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:52 am

Circles....don't work with faders :wink:

I know you can switch to portrait mode for 100mm faders but still i often have this small"jumps"after releasing the fader again.
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:54 am

I don't seem to have this problem for some reason works just perfect for me :shock:

thebioguy
Expert

Post by thebioguy » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:17 am

CEIsar,

This is especially problematic with small sliders like in Drumagog. I've given up trying to get 50 on Dynamic. :?

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:21 am

you could have a 2 finger mode for sliders where if a 2nd finger is added to move the slide it goes into a 'precise' movement mode where the knob/ slider moves less for the same finger movement. Take the finger off and it reverts back to the usual mode.

Doesn't quite solve the issue at hand but would be an intuitive addition that would greatly aid precise slider control.

In Logic Pro they have something similar where if you press the alt key while dragging a region it goes into a finer snap value allowing more control of the regions placement.

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:55 am

On the real tricky sliders/knobs why don't you have a box like when setting the tempo in settings then you can just type the amount if needed as well as a slider

You are just moving your finger up and down over knobs ent you I get this jerky thing with circular motion on knobs

Up and down motion is perfect 8)