Good Piano, Hammond and Drum sounds ?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

dominicperry
Expert

Good Piano, Hammond and Drum sounds ?

Post by dominicperry » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:05 am

I'm after good piano, Hammond and acoustic drum kit sounds for the iPad. I need to be able to trigger them with a Midi keyboard.
I have NanoStudio, which is fantastic but doesn't make these kind of 'real' sounds.
I have Magellan, which likewise isn't much good at these things.
I have Pianist Pro, and it isn't very good.
I have the full instrument pack for MusicStudio and I'm not very impressed.
I have DrumJam, and it's ok but not fantastic.

There seems to be nothing like NI Battery or B4 or Steinberg's The Grand. I don't care how much they cost but nothing I can find so far comes close to PC/Mac VSTs/Sampled instruments.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Dominic

Jus
Expert

Re: Good Piano, Hammond and Drum sounds ?

Post by Jus » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:22 am

Have you tried igrand by IK multimedia or sampletank which I have they both have free versions very limited sounds though
They are quite good app wize ,not quite as good as the pc versions but very usable though 8)

Oh they are also on a half price for a limited time at the Mo :wink:

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:49 am

igrand by IK sounds good on YouTube demos. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

I also just found C3B3 which makes excellent Hammond sounds, but no recording, and no update for 18 months, so I doubt it will get an Audiobus upgrade. I'll have to plug my keyboard into my iPhone and play into the iPad. Live. Just like the old days. Only with 2 flaky iOS devices instead!

Cheers

Dominic

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:10 pm

In the end I got IK Sampletank too. Very handy for the drum sounds.

Thanks for the pointers.

Dominic

instinctive
Expert

Post by instinctive » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:02 pm

It may sound stupid, but GarageBand's piano is actually pretty good, and so are the organs...

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:38 pm

instinctive wrote:It may sound stupid, but GarageBand's piano is actually pretty good, and so are the organs...
Worth a look. Thanks, I'll give them a try.

Dominic

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:05 pm

I second using GarageBand for piano. It sounds really great and I use it a lot.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:34 pm

IGrand for sure A. very nice piano sample.
Organ + by Yonac maker of Magelan
Drum Samples of regular nice kits I like to import into my favourite sampler Drum app and lay down my patterns. I also like to layer my drum samples with different FX at each layer. I think drums is the one element you can really have some programming fun with. I often wish I spent more time with my drum programming and mixing than I do. I think sometimes I tend to rush out of a project simply because its taking too long and I just want to get it out. If I was a famous artist this would be a big no no. When I mix for others I seem to give them all the tricks but for my own tunes I don't bother as much. Maybe on day I'll put my all into one of my own mixes and really surprise myself.
~~_/)~~
Cheers
Happy holidays

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:01 am

For piano, iGrand is very impressive. Incredible, when you get right down to it.
I also really like the organs in GarageBand. The pianos are also very useful.
SampleTank is very good too.
To my ears, iGrand has the richest piano sounds of them all. I think it has more samples per note than the pianos in SampleTank; it certainly feels and sounds that way when I play it on my semi-weighted midi keyboard.

Erik dP
Expert

Post by Erik dP » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:50 pm

Anyone tried CMP Grand Piano? (I havn't.) Supposed to use 1GB of samples for two pianos. Around $10.

http://www.crudebyte.com/mobile/cmp_grand_piano/
Song writer http://www.youtube.com/erikdepomian
"Your Comfort Lie" "White Feather" "Canyons" "Where No Monsters Go" ...and more.

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:51 am

Erik dP wrote:Anyone tried CMP Grand Piano? (I havn't.) Supposed to use 1GB of samples for two pianos. Around $10.

http://www.crudebyte.com/mobile/cmp_grand_piano/
I had a listen to their YouTube example. It sounds quite good, although not as good as iGrand. However, IK Multimedia (who make iGrand and SampleTank among other things), have been getting a slagging on their forums for being unresponsive to their users. In particular, they are being very vague about Audiobus support. So I wrote an email to Crudebyte and asked if they had plans for CMP Grand Piano and Audiobus. Their reply was very interesting. In brief, they have been turned down by TastyPixel, and told that they do not want any more apps to support Audiobus at the moment while they iron out the glitches.

So, CMP have said that whilst they are waiting to get the go-ahead from TastyPixel, they are going to develop their own any-to-any midi and audio linking - what they call a 'Free Connection Graph'. So, while it would be best if Audiobus was 100% reliable and everybody supported a single standard, if Audiobus isn't open to all, then they're going to get competition. And it sounds like the competition will be better than Audiobus.

I'm heartened by CMPs quick and informative reply (on 26th Dec too) and I think it's worth keeping an eye on their work. It sounds like something should happen in the next month or two.

Dominic

Checkrath
Expert

Post by Checkrath » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:51 pm

Thumbjam actually has pretty decent sample instruments and supports both audiobus and midi

mrufino1
Expert

Post by mrufino1 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:08 am

Audiobus will eventually be open to everyone, they are just limiting the apps at first so they make sure all the bugs are gone. so cmp didn't get turned down completely. The devs have said there were two rounds of limited releases, then the API will be public.