Scape Background Audio?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Charlie Dog

Scape Background Audio?

Post by Charlie Dog » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:50 am

Is there a way to record the audio output Eno's Scape App for iPad?

Every time I open Auria, Scape quits playing in the background.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Scape Background Audio?

Post by Rim » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:55 am

iPad doesn't support recording one app's audio with another app. There's a third party solution called Audiobus, but not every app supports it yet. We are going to be adding Audiobus support in Auria v1.06. It's hard to give an exact date for this, but I'd expect it'll be a month or so, given the Apple holiday coming up.

Rim

Charlie Dog

Post by Charlie Dog » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:14 pm

Wow, what a quick reply! I don't quite understand what you said though being an ios music newbie and all. I can record Scape using Garageband, and sorta in Hokusai. I can record my guitar using Jam up into Garageband, and I assumed that I'd be able to Jamup with Auria, without buying the plugin. The reason I haven't bought Audiobus is that it doesnt look like it runs with the apps I have; garageband, nanostudio, kassalator, ims 20, animoog, jamup, amplitube, Are you saying that Auria won't record the output of those apps either?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:18 pm

No problem at all, we welcome new users! What I'm saying is that on an iPad it's not possible to record one app's output using another app unless you use Audiobus. But not all apps support Audiobus. In other words, unless you use Audiobus, you can't open Scape, press play, then go into Garage Band and record the audio that scape is outputting. Apple simply doesn't support a way to route audio from one app to another. The only thing that's possible without audiobus is to play multiple apps at the same time.

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:55 pm

I think maybe Charlie Dog has been recording Scape's audible/speaker output using the iPad's built in mic, with GB's audio recorder. I'm not sure this is an Audiobus-related question. I think he's asking why Scape's background audio is suppressed when Auria is loaded but not by other audio recording apps.

@Charlie Dog: Audiobus provides the equivalent of audio 'cables' inside your iPad, connecting apps together to share audio streams. When Auria finally becomes Audiobus-compatible, it will be able to record the audio output of other Audiobus-compatible apps 'internally'. Scape is not Audiobus-compatible (nor, for that matter, is GarageBand). Lobby the developers to "get on the bus"! :)

Charlie Dog

Post by Charlie Dog » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:05 pm

Thanks again, infigured out what was throwing me off. Garageband was recording Scape playing in the background ,....but.....it was recording the speaker out on the iPad! Though its built in mic.

I'm not sure why audiobus chose the apps I did,and why they didn't choose the more popular ones, an ill bet apple won't cooperate with them so it will work with garageband. I suppose its possible to record Scape from my ipad to iPhone.

Charlie Dog

Post by Charlie Dog » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:20 pm

Yes, simultaneously with your post I figured out that it was what you were saying!

I'm not all that hung up on garageband anyway. I do love Scape because it allows me to sound better than I am because its kind of a hybrid audio app/song player and not a trueinstrument. And I'm sure Brian Eno never intended it for what I want

I'm really new to this so you have to excuse me .....so Auria currently only truly records from an audio in source, what through the camera adapter or through my apogee guitar input and jam up? Or and external mic, ie some sort of hardware in? Or do i have to buy the jamup plug in?

If And when Auria becomes audiobus compliant my source would also have to be......right?

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:42 pm

Without a technology such as Audiobus, iOS apps can only record from an audio-in source, as you describe. That's why everyone's so excited about Audiobus. Who knows if/when GB will get on the bus.

As for Scape, I don't have a copy but I read that it allows emailing 'scapes'. Is a 'scape' a configuration/settings file (like a patch) or is it an audio recording (.mp3, .aif, .wav, etc.)? If it's audio, why don't you take that route to get audio into Auria? Sorry, if you've already thought of that.

Charlie Dog

Post by Charlie Dog » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Yes, it's a patch, playable only in another scape

Dcramer
Expert

Post by Dcramer » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:49 am

And keep in mind that many many apps support audio copy and paste.
When I work in Auria I am basically just assembling songs from chunks of audio that I copied while in another app, such as drum loops, bass lines, leads, keys, and even vocals, and then pasting them into Auria and editing it all to play in sync.
As long as you maintain the same tempo setting when creating your audio phrases it's easy to use Auria to trim and line them up.
Audiobus will make this a much more real time process.