"Required file cannot be found" iTunes error

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

drock
Expert

"Required file cannot be found" iTunes error

Post by drock » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:11 pm

So I was trying to backup my main audio folder with all my projects entitled "working projects" to my XP machine running iTunes 10.7 and got a " 'Working Projects' could be copied because an error occurred. The required file cannot be found" but I've done a successful copy once before. I'm using the iTunes "file sharing" feature of iTunes and I notice that the folder is 6.37GB's. it almost completes and then throws that error. I've tried it a few times and I've even tried iexplorer but that locks up my whole computer which is scary.

I can't reinstall Auria because I can't backup all the new projects first. I haven't tried a fresh install of iTunes but I installed this version not too long ago and it worked fine before. I use iCloud (auto backup every night) but I'm not sure if that backs up EVERYTHING form Auria (or at least the Working Projects folder). I'm running Auria version 1.03.1.

It's really frustrating and I don't want to loose all the months of recording. Thanks for the help.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: "Required file cannot be found" iTunes error

Post by Rim » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:50 pm

I haven't seen that error before. Are you getting that error on your PC (in iTunes)? If so, it's got to be some sort of iTunes issue, like perhaps the size...

iCloud should be backing up all your projects. Anything in the Documents folder should be getting backed up, and this includes all your Auria projects.

Rim

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:24 pm

Yeah, its an iTunes error. I took a pic of it from the screen. I just updated to the latest version of iTunes (version 11.01) and it still does it. Although, I found out that out once I go to "Save to" and choose the desktop for the destination, it creates copies the "working projects' folder to the desktop and slowly copies over 10 project folders but out of 12. So it seems there could be some missing file with one or both of the last remaining 2 songs/project folders. So I grabbed those 10 project folders and copied them real quick to my computer before the iTunes error hits and dismounts the entire 'working projects' folder all together.

Maybe I should update Auria? Maybe I should try to use dropbox to save a copy of those last 2 projects before wiping out Auria and reinstalling it? Dunno...I dont want to make the wrong move here and loose it all. Or loose 2 songs even, for that matter. Thanks again.
Attachments
photo.JPG
(1.13 MiB) Downloaded 261 times

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:40 pm

This definitely seems like an iTunes bug of some sort. Maybe it's just not prepared to copy folders that large? Or maybe it encountered a corrupt file somewhere. It's really hard to tell.

Updating Auria won't solve it, because this is an iTunes error. Dropbox would normally be a good option, but copying that much data probably won't work over dropbox. They limit the amount you can transfer.

Rim

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:12 pm

I've been playing detective here trying to figure this all out. The only thing I can think of is:

I had 2 songs that I did mixdowns for just to test the system and see how it all worked. I also included the mixdown as a separate track on each project. Once I checked the mixes, I then wanted to delete them but that's not an option in the file directory of Auria nor an option of iTunes. So I used iExplorer to go to the root and delete those mixdowns since they were throw aways but they were also mix tracks at the bottom of each project. I think deleting those is where my issue began.
So after figuring all that out, I set 2 new projects with slightly similar names and use AudioCopy and paste and copy all the audio from the 'bad' projects into the new, healthy ones. That worked. iTunes has no problem saving the folders now.

Originally I thought the problem had something to do with both projects had long song titles, they both started with "W" and they both included a "?" at the end too...those were long shots but its they only thing they had in common. Once I started thinking back and diving in deeper it seemed to work out.

It was SUPER frustrating and worrisome but I'm glad to have it all taken care of now and all my songs are backed up on multiple ext hard drives.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:32 am

Glad you figured it out.

By the way, it's easy to delete files from within Auria. And also in iTunes.

Auria: Just swipe across the file. A delete button will pop up.

iTunes: press the "del" button on your keyboard while selecting a file.

Rim