Here comes the competition: Cubasis

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: Here comes the competition: Cubasis

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:26 am

mtingle wrote:
dominicperry wrote:
mtingle wrote:'CD quality audio' = 16 bit ==> Not professional.

At least for what I look for as a fundamental requirement of a DAW.

From the video clip Cubasis looked clunky, not sure if that was the video frame rate or whether it was the way it was coded. The fact that Rim used machine code means we're guaranteed a very efficient app with Auria and that'll be hard to equal by other developers.
Plenty of very good music has been made with 16 bit converters. You need more skill to get your gain staging right with only 16 bits to play with, but it can be done. I do agree that it seems like an unnecessary limitation and a poor design choice.

Dominic
There are a few that prefer 16bit but the vast majority of engineers and studio owners will not consider stepping back to a 1980's technology format.

Saying that, I produced a rather magnificent effort using nanostudio last year which is 16bit. But I wouldn't use it for recording clients.
Lets not forget that those of us who use synth apps and drum machines to get sounds into Auria via copy/paste are using 16/44.1 as that is the only format right now that the pasteboard offers. Audiobus may change all that as you may be able to record the synth right into Auria and retain Auria's sample rate of 24/96..

boone51
Expert

Post by boone51 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:37 pm

I think Audiobus is limited to 16bit right now. Looking for that thread over in their forum, but I'm pretty sure I read that...

jukeboxjoe
Expert

Post by jukeboxjoe » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:37 pm

A quick glance at Cubasis reminds me of the other iOS multitrackers. Auria's interface looks higher end to me. (Not that it's about looks, but... well, yeah partly it is :wink: ). But automation and 24 bit recording are not something I can go back from. (I do agree with an earlier poster... how long for MIDI?)

Oh, and the video importing - also something I've gotten spoiled with. I didn't think it would be such a big deal. Now, I can't imagine not having the ability to direct edit a Video's audio in Auria!

I'm all for competition, but (just my opinion) Auria still seems the higher end product.