Auria File Manager

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Bigcraigie_1

Auria File Manager

Post by Bigcraigie_1 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:18 am

Here is my problem, however I may be missing the obvious here.

I have a load of drum loops of my own that I want to import into Auria. I've transfered them using iTunes on the PC into Auria but it only lets me import them into the root directory in Auria. I then have to create a folder with sub folders within the app so I can group them together.

It's taking forever and a day to move the files around within Auria as I only seem to be able to move 1 file at a time.

Am I missing something? Is there an easier way?

Phil999
Expert

Re: Auria File Manager

Post by Phil999 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:56 am

I guess zipping everything is a good method. I've done it only few times with Auria, but not recently. I think that applies to all iPad-iTunes transfers. With this method the folder structure should remain intact.

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:13 am

I think that file management inside Auria could do with some improvement, when there's some spare coding time :D

I think that NanoStudio has a good approach to this and it's worth considering something similar - a small, free PC and Mac app which allows direct file transfer between computer and iPad, without iTunes. It also allows for folder and file management.

Dominic
Last edited by dominicperry on Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Navpack
Expert

Post by Navpack » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:21 am

You might also take at look at iExplorer. I've been using it to move files to/from and can target the directory I want. Like it much better than iTunes transfer.

Phil

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:41 am

iExplorer looks good. I'll get a copy for myself - however .........

I have a couple of scenarios where I turn up at a house or studio with my iPad and I want to exchange files from their machines to mine or vice versa. I can't get everyone to pay for an app to do that, and that's a problem. NanoSync works, because it's cross platform, small, easy to use and free.

The present compromise is to solo each track in Auria, do a mix, import all the '00:00 to end point' wav files back into Auria, copy and paste them into NanoStudio, and transfer from there. Or wait 90 minutes for them to upload to dropbox.
One thing is for sure, I'm not plugging my iPad into someone else's iTunes. That is a disaster waiting to happen.

At the moment, this is so hard to do quickly that I do all my file management at home on my computer, which defeats one of the points of having Auria on an iPad.

Dominic

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:30 am

Zipping folders is a great and easy way to preserve the folder structure when importing audio into Auria. Basically, you just zip the folders you want, then only copy the resulting zip file into the root of Auria. Once Auria sees that zip, it will automatically uncompress it, and you'll see all the folders in Auria just the way they were originally compressed.

The reason for having to zip is because iTunes doesn't support moving folders to an iPad.

Rim

Bigcraigie_1

Post by Bigcraigie_1 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:23 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I had no idea I could put a zip file in there and Auria would take care of it. I'll give that a go.

Bigcraigie_1

Post by Bigcraigie_1 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:40 pm

Adding the all my catalogued loops as a zip file done the trick. That just saved me hours of manually moving files.

Thanks guys.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:00 pm

I agree that the filing system in Auria is a little strange. I think fikes that are part of a mix and that Auria needs to preserve the project shouldn't be accessible only the files that you can move in and out if a project.

acaonweb
Expert

Post by acaonweb » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:45 am

In the future i suggest to create a File Manager into the app, accessible from menu, and unlinked from New and Load commands :):)
Last edited by acaonweb on Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
iPad Air Pro 11 iOS 16.3 WiFi 512 Giga, Scarlett Focusrite 18i8
http://mustek.bandcamp.com

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:21 am

The audio files from other projects are there because sometimes you might want to grab an audio file from a different project and copy it into the current one. We didn't want to limit what you could access through the file dialogs.

There were many ways to approach this, and we opted for separate file manager windows for different tasks. Each approach has it's plusses and minuses.

Rim

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:59 am

When I import from audio copy from other app, the name I gave that file shows up in other apps that I use making it easy to locate. However Auria just keeps naming them audio paste 1 ,2,3 ect but you still have to listen to it to just see what it is and if the guitar solo joesn't start for 2 mins into the song I have to wait to see if its the track I'm looking for and too often it's not. Even if there was an advance knob that let me fast forward in the file I could hear it quicker but I think the best way is to incorporate what other audio apps have done and allow you to see the file name you gave it when you audio copied it. I know Auria shows you this when audio pasting it into the edit window but that's it the name is gone from then on. Not even the name is displayed on the waveform or the file manager. What really makes it confusing is after cutting a number of tracks up when you go into the file manager there are dozens upon dozens of files with repeating numbers that are obviously for Aurias use not the user so these should be hidden away as the user should have no need to delve into these cuts and file locator points needed for Aurias mix. So if I load Bass let me only see Bass so I can load it in again as Bass.As well on one of my other audio apps when I say for it to clean up the audio pool any audio not being used in the project can be deleted permenantly to free up drive space. I'd like that option to control this but with Aurias file system I never know what is safe to delete cause there is no way of knowing what the project is actually using and what is ok to delete. Even a different colour font in the file system like say anything currently being used in the project is RED lettering and anything free is GREEN and anything that could be needed if it fits a certain variable is ORANGE. Or a separate folder for audio that Auria is currently using in the project separate from the imported files especially audio pasted files. Cheers.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:07 pm

Anthony,

These are great suggestions, thanks. Audio Paste doesn't provide the name of the file when pasting. For example, when I audio Copy from Multitrack DAW, I get "General Pasteboard" as the name of the source.

Rim

Karmacomposer

Post by Karmacomposer » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:12 pm

Can you use iExplorer to delete files in Auria. I have way too many of them and filled up my iPad2. I need to delete wav files and aaf files.

How is this done?

Mike

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:50 pm

Sure, you can also delete files inside Auria. Just swipe across the file you want to delete. iExplorer is also easy to use. Just find the files you want to delete and press delete.

Rim