Stutter audio. Can't work on anything!!

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Guilleonline
Expert

Stutter audio. Can't work on anything!!

Post by Guilleonline » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:50 pm

So I started my first real project in Auria and to my surprise I was dissappointed. I made a beat on an mpc1000 and bounced the stereo mix into two channels in Auria. Then I started recording guitars and voice thru the scarlett 212. As soon as I started messing with a few eq's and adding reverb to some of the channels the audio started sttatering and I couldn't work on anything. I've tried my way around it by bouncing the two tracks I had originally creatd for the drums into a single stereo track, deleted my acoustic guitar track, instead of using reverb on each channel, I created a master reverb effect on Aux1 but still. I am now working with 8 tracks and still find myself having to exit the app and coming back to it, which helps for a bit until something else makes it act up again.

Yes, I have swipped up and deleted any othe background running app and no help.

Even though I am running Auria with an iPad 1 it clearly states I should be able to run up to 24 tracks.

Don"t get me wrong, it's a great app but when you have to stop in the middle of a project it's not really fun. It should be more reliable than this. Can i grt some help here? Am I doing something wrong?!?! PLEASE HELP!!!

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: Stutter audio. Can't work on anything!!

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:02 am

Guilleonline wrote:So I started my first real project in Auria and to my surprise I was dissappointed. I made a beat on an mpc1000 and bounced the stereo mix into two channels in Auria. Then I started recording guitars and voice thru the scarlett 212. As soon as I started messing with a few eq's and adding reverb to some of the channels the audio started sttatering and I couldn't work on anything. I've tried my way around it by bouncing the two tracks I had originally creatd for the drums into a single stereo track, deleted my acoustic guitar track, instead of using reverb on each channel, I created a master reverb effect on Aux1 but still. I am now working with 8 tracks and still find myself having to exit the app and coming back to it, which helps for a bit until something else makes it act up again.

Yes, I have swipped up and deleted any othe background running app and no help.

Even though I am running Auria with an iPad 1 it clearly states I should be able to run up to 24 tracks.

Don"t get me wrong, it's a great app but when you have to stop in the middle of a project it's not really fun. It should be more reliable than this. Can i grt some help here? Am I doing something wrong?!?! PLEASE HELP!!!
Auria is a CPU intensive app as you know. As Auria grows it gets further and further than the original iPad. However that being said there are some ways to get Auria under control. #1. Set the recording buffer to a higher setting so not 128 or 256
#2. Set mixer to 32 bit not 64. #3. Freeze tracks with FX right away. #4. Restart your iPad before you use Auria, this helps clear memory. #5. Turn off WiFi and Bluetooth and Location Services. #6. Mix down as soon as you can.
I even reboot my iPad after every couple of tracks I record in Auria just to keep the memory strong and this really worked for the iPad 2. Hope this helps. Cheers
~~_/)~~~

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:04 am

#1 and #3 will surely improve performance. Not so sure about the rest. From my experience #4 can be done with unloading Auria from (iPad) memory and restarting Auria.

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:07 am

EDITED POST

Shutting down all apps including Auria, and then starting Auria will have an effect on freeing up memory.

Shutting down Auria and then restarting Auria will also have an effect on freeing up memory.

Dont' expect to use FX on the iPad 1. If you do, work on the FX track by track and then freeze each track before moving on to the next one.

Up to 24 tracks doesn't mean 24 tracks. It means up to 24 tracks.

Increase your buffer size. If the latency is too long to record against, use an interface with zero-latency (analog) monitoring, or do a mix of the song as it stands, start a new song and import the mix as a single track. Record the new part against that mix. You can then pull that track into the original song if you need to. It's a PITA, but it will help.

Dominic
Last edited by dominicperry on Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ajmack302
Expert

Post by ajmack302 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:50 am

You should also make sure your project is 44100. The higher the sample rate the more memory/CPU will be used.

Guilleonline
Expert

Post by Guilleonline » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:21 am

Thanks for the reply guys! There ar a few things mentioned here that I could use. Like using 44.1 instead 48 i'll try freezing after each fx.

So if i had the latest iPad these wouldn't be a problem? Are u sure? Wouldn't want to buy a new one and end up with the same problems. Thanks for the help and support

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:46 am

New iPad 4 kicks a$$. Runs the demo song "The Approach" with 439MB of RAM to spare, at 23% CPU (and would let me record another track at 128 sample buffer too). Compare that to your iPad 1 to get a feel for the difference.

Just make sure you can run your existing audio interface with a 30pin to Lightning connector. Don't assume it will work. For example, the Tascam iU2 simply doesn't work with the iPad 4, even though it works with an iPad 3.

Dominic

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:47 pm

All the steps I mentioned do work albiet some almost un-noticable and not very nessesary on the newer iPads but do help the iPad 1. I wouldn't suggest re-booting your iPad every 5 mins as Dominic suggested but rather when you take a break from your recording.
As for the iPad 4 there are already post on that topic here but as an owner of the iPad 4 I can tell you it is a world of difference however that being said Auria is still querky and there are unexpected crashes.
Cheers.
~~_/)~~~

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:47 pm

dominicperry wrote:Restarting the iPad will have little or no effect. Don't waste any more time repeatedly doing so.

Shutting down all apps including Auria, and then starting Auria will have an effect on freeing up memory.

Shutting down Auria and then restarting Auria will also have an effect on freeing up memory.

Dont' expect to use FX on the iPad 1. If you do, work on the FX track by track and then freeze each track before moving on to the next one.

Up to 24 tracks doesn't mean 24 tracks. It means up to 24 tracks.

Increase your buffer size. If the latency is too long to record against, use an interface with zero-latency (analog) monitoring, or do a mix of the song as it stands, start a new song and import the mix as a single track. Record the new part against that mix. You can then pull that track into the original song if you need to. It's a PITA, but it will help. And I've saved you time because you're no longer rebooting the iPad every 5 minutes :wink:

Dominic
Try this test Dominic, after being on safari or using your iPad for awhile open Auria and check your availabe ram on the meter, mine will show 512 mgs available then shut the iPad off, turn it back on, open Auria and the memory will read much more, mine will read 647 mgs available and I do notice a better performance from Auria. Either Auria is messing with my numbers or indeed memory is being tied up on the iPad 4 and not totally released untill the iPad gets rebooted. Cheers.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:57 pm

It's important to keep in mind that rebooting your iPad won't free up memory being used by your background apps. These must be closed separately (rebooting doesn't close background apps).

Also, the memory meter is not very accurate. This is simply due to the fact that iOS doesn't provide accurate memory usage to apps. iOS is very smart about how it manages memory. For example, you might only have 5 MB remaining, and iOS will allow you to open a project that takes 50MB. It does this by stealing memory away from other background apps.

Rim

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:02 pm

Anthony Alves wrote:
Try this test Dominic, after being on safari or using your iPad for awhile open Auria and check your availabe ram on the meter, mine will show 512 mgs available then shut the iPad off, turn it back on, open Auria and the memory will read much more, mine will read 647 mgs available and I do notice a better performance from Auria. Either Auria is messing with my numbers or indeed memory is being tied up on the iPad 4 and not totally released untill the iPad gets rebooted. Cheers.
I've just tried this. My apologies, I stand corrected. This does indeed make a difference. I shall edit my original post.

Dominic

Guilleonline
Expert

Post by Guilleonline » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:20 pm

Is the iPad 4 compatible with focusrite scarlett 212 interface?

Guilleonline
Expert

Post by Guilleonline » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:24 pm

Oh and by fhe way guys turning off location services and wifi def help a lot. i also used the freeze function more frequently and O was able to work for about three hours with minimal problems. Not too shabby for an iPad 1 ;)

Oh guys one more thing, why doesn't Auria automatically turn the 'lock' function off? I always forget and it's a pain to leave the app to go to settings and then adjust thr lock to 'never'. The interface has to restart and hence could mess up headphones or monitors when shooting white noise (more like crackling really).

Thanks for the help. I'll post my finished demo here soon even though it's not a pro pro demo.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:18 am

An app can't turn on the lock feature, but it can temporarily disable it while it's running. Auria does that during certain operations: during recording and during anything with a progress box. For example, while waiting for a download.

Rim

Guilleonline
Expert

Post by Guilleonline » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:45 pm

Oh so it does it while recording? That's good news. My main fear was that it would cut out in the middle of tracking. Now let me ask you Rim, if it goes to sleep and the I turn it back up will the process of rebooting the interface communication increase the probability of Auria to crash? Or it has no effect on it?

Thanks a million!