Stutter audio. Can't work on anything!!

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Stutter audio. Can't work on anything!!

Post by Rim » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:53 pm

Removing the interface during recording is not a good idea, but once it's finished, and the processing is finished, you can safely disconnect. Since it won't go to sleep while recording or processing tracks, you don't have to worry about that. Auria disabled sleep during these times.

Rim

Guilleonline
Expert

Post by Guilleonline » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:45 pm

Haha no Rim you got it wrong! Haha why would I disconect the interface in the middle of a recording?!?! What I meant was while using Auria ( not really recording, but let's say the screen display the mixing window) sometimes I leave for a second to eier fix a mic placement or grab a cable, and when I'm back the iPad is now off ( I mean a black screen from not using it during the 2 minute interval I usually have it set for screen lock). So then when I turn it back on I can see the interface 'reboot' (the lights flash again and a pop sound comes from the headphones/speakers like when it's plugged in for the first time). So my question is if that process of interface rebooting could make Auria more prone to cause an internal error or a crash.

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:23 am

Yes, when the screen locks the interface disconnects. So Rim is referring to the times you disconnect the interface, not physically, but because you have let the iPad sleep.

Yes, disconnecting the interface and reconnecting will cause more crashes. At least, it always does in every audio app I've used including Multitrack DAW, Auria and the built in iPod (music player).

So the answer is to prevent your iPad from sleeping. Either set the timeout to be longer or turn it off completely. 2 minutes is simply too short. I have autosleep turned off completely. It's not very hard to press the 'off' button by hand. It's bad programming practice to override the user's global choice for specific apps. Doing it for recording makes sense, but not just because the app is launched.

Dominic

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:29 am

Disconnecting the interface while in the middle of recording happens all the time. It's rarely intentional, but since the 30-pin or lightning connector doesn't lock in place, it's easy to accidentally disconnect it while moving it. That's what I was referring to.

In our tests, disconnecting / reconnecting the interface while Auria is idle doesn't cause any crashes. Also, suspending/resuming Auria (like from a sleep), even with an interface connected should not cause any crashes. Auria simply resets the interface at that time. The click you hear comes from the interface resetting itself.

Rim

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:33 am

I'm not sure how you're testing this Rim, but there's no doubt I get problems with interfaces disconnecting.

As an example, using GuitarJack and going into the GuitarTone app (to set levels) and then coming back to Auria. Auria will sometimes no longer see two input channels, and if two have been previously armed then Auria will crash.

Dominic

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:45 am

Good to know. I haven't tried this with guitar Jack. Is this using the latest version of Auria? Early on, Auria had several bugs which made it crash when you connected/disconnected interfaces or suspended while Auria was armed, etc.

Rim

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:46 am

I let Auria send a crash report yesterday when this happened. If you need my machine ID to match the crash log up, let me know.
Latest version of Auria (1.04) with latest iOS (6.0.1) on iPad 4 (WiFi only, 64GB).

Dominic

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:59 am

Great, I'll look for it. I don't store any machine info, so it's impossible to search that way. Did you type anything into the crash report that I might recognize?

Thanks,
Rim

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:06 am

Yes, I typed some stuff, but can't remember what! Not sure I even mentioned GuitarJack. I think I mentioned the two channels becoming one. I'll have a think, it might come back to me.
Does the crash log give you a song name?

Dominic

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:19 am

OK, I'll look. Crash logs have no personal information of any kind, so it's hard to match them up.

Rim

Guilleonline
Expert

Post by Guilleonline » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:29 pm

I'm glad we are getting into something. Love when forums work. Thanks for your hard work and contineously effort to improve it.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:24 am

I think I might have found your crash. I fixed the issue causing it, so let's see if 1.05 helps.

Thanks,
Rim

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:44 am

Thanks Rim, much appreciated.

Dominic