ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:30 pm

Manimpretty wrote:Thanks Anthony, Great advice. I think I may be over compressing throughout the mixin stage. Im going to go back and rework some tracks and leave them a little more natural. Auria has so many great plugins I think I get carried away! I like the idea of sending everything to a single bus prior to the main as well.
Should I get carried away with EQ ing each track say in a drum mix or bus it and eq as a whole?
Thanks.
No problem. I usually eq the drum tracks seperately then to a buss were I do any final eq'ing and add my compressor in stereo. Use this buss to apply all your stereo FX on the drums. Cheers and your right you must fight with yourself not to use too many plugins. Challenge yourself to have a clear idea of the sound you want before recording and you will find that you will use less plugins. Cheers.~~_/)~~~.

syrupcore
Expert

Post by syrupcore » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:12 pm

Another school of thought says: If you plan on compressing your mix for a thick rock or r&b type sound, put the compressor on the mix buss immediately. That way there are no surprises when you get to the end. It can be very hard to take an 'open' mix and compress it at the end and still have it sound natural, even with multiband compression. Talking about compression as an effect here ala tape saturation, not light program compression and not omgkillitallmakeitlouderomg absurd level smashing.

GlassBee

Post by GlassBee » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:48 am

Hi, new member, new to auria and to be honest new to recording on anything other than a tascam digital 8 track, so very much a rookie.

I'm in the process of experimenting with auria and have tried interfacing with a lexicon omega soundcard which I believe is supposed to be quite compatible with ipad/auria.

But when recording through mic or line in I seem to get a horrible squeal which at first I thought was just just while monitoring but it does appear on the recorded track.

I am wondering if this is just the way I am setting up the soundcard or if the soundcard is not as compatible as I thought and maybe I need to purchase a more ipad friendly interface like the io dock.

Any help or opinion would be greatly appriciated.

Cheers

Colin.

syrupcore
Expert

Post by syrupcore » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:31 pm

Hi Collin. Sorry, I'm not sure the answer but you might have better luck getting help by posting a new thread in the Audio Interfaces section of the forum here http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=21.

Deblue

Post by Deblue » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:54 pm

Hello,

I see you selling JamUp as Plug in,

I m already user of Jam up and I m wondering can I use it like a Plug in without purchasing it again.Or just audiobus option for me?

Thanks

syrupcore
Expert

Post by syrupcore » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:52 pm

Deblue wrote:Hello,

I see you selling JamUp as Plug in,

I m already user of Jam up and I m wondering can I use it like a Plug in without purchasing it again.Or just audiobus option for me?

Thanks
For now, it's either Audiobus or re-buy it inside of Auria. This is ultimately up to the Jam Up crew, not Wave Machine Labs. As evidenced by the Sugar Bytes effects, it's possible to simply enable the plugin within Auria when Auria sees that it's already installed on your iPad. That's a decision Sugar Bytes made and Positive Grid would have to make the same decision. I think I recall a post on here where Rim said he mentioned the possibility to Positive Grid. Not sure if anything has come of it.

hotlipslawson
Expert

Post by hotlipslawson » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:47 pm

Having studied the (somewhat obsolete) Auria User Guide extensively, I still can not figure out how to apply an effect (reverb) to a region and not to an entire track. Please help.

rkmonkey
Expert

Post by rkmonkey » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:34 pm

I use automatin for this.
Add effect to track (classic verb for example).
Select the down arrow next to audio and drop down menu appears for parameters.
Scroll down to select parameter (classic verb, mix)
Hold finger on track and blue line will appear.
Hold in multiple places to adjust parameter up or down.
In this case, down is dry and up wet.
Hope this helps.
Attachments
image.jpg

rkmonkey
Expert

Post by rkmonkey » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:47 pm

hotlipslawson wrote:Having studied the (somewhat obsolete) Auria User Guide extensively, I still can not figure out how to apply an effect (reverb) to a region and not to an entire track. Please help.
Alternative is to cut part to new track and apply effect to the new track.
Attachments
image.jpg

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:24 am

@hotlipslawson: You mentioned you felt the user guide was "somewhat obsolete". We update the guide with every new version, and strive to keep it very current. Can you let me know which section you thought was lacking? I would love to know, so we can fix it right away.

Thanks,
Rim

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:39 pm

Automation is going to be your savior here. You simply draw your FX in automation and the Fx will only be applied at the automation point. Auria's auromation is probably the most comprehensive I have ever seen and it is spot on in acuracy. I am producing a video tutorial on this very subject and I will pass the link on to you for your reference. Good luck with everything and my dad wasvthe greatest trumpet player ever and your high notes reminded me of him. My dad has passed away so wenever I hear a trumpet part I have to stop and listen. Good luck in the contest too. Cheers.
~~_/)~~~

Rockettooth

Post by Rockettooth » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:53 pm

For give me if I'm in the wrong area to post this. I am fairly new with auria and am just starting to find my way around. I have a project going with 8 tracks. When I start a new track,(track 9), iI cannot get audio in from anything else? It will show recording, but won't pick up any audio when I start a new track. I've tried inter app, audiobus, and audio through a focusrite 6i6. The levels show up in the input matrix, but not on the mixer. Everything is record enabled. I've checked the input matrix. I've started a new project and can get all three to work. What is wrong with my current project? I have inter app audio tracks, audio tracks through the focusrite and audiobus tracks. When I add another track, the audio will not record anymore? Can anyone help me out on this?

Tarekith
Expert

Post by Tarekith » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:05 pm

Is it maybe a mono track and you're trying to use stereo effects? Just guessing really.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:27 pm

Rockettooth wrote:For give me if I'm in the wrong area to post this. I am fairly new with auria and am just starting to find my way around. I have a project going with 8 tracks. When I start a new track,(track 9), iI cannot get audio in from anything else? It will show recording, but won't pick up any audio when I start a new track. I've tried inter app, audiobus, and audio through a focusrite 6i6. The levels show up in the input matrix, but not on the mixer. Everything is record enabled. I've checked the input matrix. I've started a new project and can get all three to work. What is wrong with my current project? I have inter app audio tracks, audio tracks through the focusrite and audiobus tracks. When I add another track, the audio will not record anymore? Can anyone help me out on this?
I have encountered this problem with the Inter Apo Audio. I have found on some projects that even after ejecting the app plugin, Auria still showed it in the midi settings. In fact one if my projects continued to show 10 inter apps on my midi settings and I was never able to eject them. This seemed to take over my audio tracks and recording within that project had to end as I simply could not go further. I have since learned that the inter apps must never bet opened after a track has been recorded and must be ejected and removed from the iPads memory before it can be finally out of Auria. You may be encountering this very problem. Check your midi settings within the corrupted project and see if the inter apps you used for the project are still listed even though they have been ejected and put away. Cheers and hope this helps and sorry I found no way to fix it.

Rockettooth

Post by Rockettooth » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:58 pm

Thank you for your reply. Will check this out. In the mean time I'm sending a copy of to rim. Hopefully he can figure out what is going on. I suspect your on the right track. Been having some screwy issues with iaa. It's a new world to record in and I suspect everyone is still learning. Will post with more info upon further inspection and progress