ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

hotlipslawson
Expert

Re: ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

Post by hotlipslawson » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:28 pm

I just updated to iOS 7.0. An entire 16 track project completely disappeared. I can no longer turn off any app running in the background. Scrolling up or down and expanding or collapsing tracks only works intermittently/inconsistently ????????? Sure hope I can get the project back with "restore backup". Please help with any suggestions.

Another question: Is there a better way to save tracks to my PC than "mixdown" ? Aren't I compressing/losing audio quality any/every time I mix tracks down?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:51 pm

I'll try to help, but could you please explain in more detail what happened? In iOS7, to kill background apps, you double tap on the home button, then "flick up" each app screen you see.

The best way to save projects onto your PC is using a free program called iFunBox.

Rim

Br8zinn
Expert

Post by Br8zinn » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:21 pm

Lots of great read on here,auria,rim,ect.....good stuff....

Coopmusic247
Expert

Post by Coopmusic247 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:50 pm

How do you merge to tracks. I have three snare tracks and I want to route them to be recorded all together into one track. They are all hitting at the same time, so I can't just drag them on to a new track. I have audiobus, but it's a bit confusing if I need to route out of auria and back in. Thanks for the help. Also, a merge audio feature would be nice in auria so I wouldn't have to record all this in real time; I could just process it together.

Ok, I found a way to do this routing out the three snares to an aux, then routing that aux as the input to audiobus, then routing that sound sum back to auria into a new track and recording all that in real time. Is there an easier way?

ajmack302
Expert

Post by ajmack302 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:19 pm

Coopmusic247 wrote:How do you merge to tracks. I have three snare tracks and I want to route them to be recorded all together into one track. They are all hitting at the same time, so I can't just drag them on to a new track. I have audiobus, but it's a bit confusing if I need to route out of auria and back in. Thanks for the help. Also, a merge audio feature would be nice in auria so I wouldn't have to record all this in real time; I could just process it together.

Ok, I found a way to do this routing out the three snares to an aux, then routing that aux as the input to audiobus, then routing that sound sum back to auria into a new track and recording all that in real time. Is there an easier way?
If I'm understanding correctly the easiest way to do this would be to solo the 3 snare tracks, then go into the menu and select Mixdown. From there select "mixdown to a new track" and you're done.

Hope this helps.

Aaron

Manimpretty
Expert

Post by Manimpretty » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:34 am

So here's the thing, and I know there's no definitive answer, I'm just looking for some direction. When I "finish" my mixes to the point where I test on a variety of speakers there's a terrible harshness in the high end that I don't hear on my monitors or headphones. Things like hats,crashes, certain aspects of guitar… ect. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't sound bad or distorted, just, I don't know, unpleasant to the ears a med-loud levels. I find if I start cutting in that freq range it quickly gets too dull. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brandon.
Brandon.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:42 am

Are you using the Mixdown feature? If you are, make sure you don't choose "MP3" as the file type. Using MP3 will cause exactly the result you're describing. Make sure you choose either WAV or AIF.

Rim

Lee B
Expert

Post by Lee B » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:40 am

I thought that mixing down to MP3, created a WAV first and then converted it?
I'm sure I used to end up with a WAV and MP3 of the same mixdown in the Audio folder, but it doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Is it something that changed in an update or am I imagining it?
Also, is there a way to upload to Soundcloud after the initial Mixdown if not selected at the time?

Cheers

Lee

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:25 am

Auria does generate a WAV file as a side effect of making an MP3, but previous versions of Auria forgot to delete that WAV file afterwards. I guess you were depending on a bug ;) The only way to upload to Sound Cloud is to do a new mixdown. But you can just solo the track you want to send to SC, and Mix that down.

Rim

Lee B
Expert

Post by Lee B » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:53 am

Thanks Rim for clarifying that. Glad i'm not going round the bend.

Cheers

Lee

Manimpretty
Expert

Post by Manimpretty » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:46 am

I'm mixing it down as a wav.

Brandon.
Brandon.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:56 am

OK, if you're mixing down as a WAV, then Auria is definitely not adding or subtracting anything from your mix. What you hear when you press play in Auria is what you're going to hear when you play the resulting WAV file from the mixdown. Can you tell me a bit more about how you're hearing a difference? Are you playing back the mixed WAV file somewhere else? Perhaps using a different set of speakers or headphones? This can make a huge difference.

Rim

Manimpretty
Expert

Post by Manimpretty » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:52 pm

I really don't think it's software related, auria is awesome. It's when I listen on my studio monitors or mixing headphones it sounds good, but when I listen on my home stereo or in the car it sounds way harsher in the high end. I believe it's a mixing/EQ problem. I've had this happen in the low end and was able to fairly easily fix it by eliminating unwanted lows from the mix. It seems no matter what I try it's either to harsh or too dull. I'm just wondering if this is common and if there's anyone with some advice on a direction to take.

Thanks
Brandon.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:47 pm

Mixing and mastering in a small studio is always challenging. If your mixing room isn't treated with Acoustical foam than many frequencies can get over or under hyped. This also depends on your speaker choice or headphone choice. The bottom line is you will need to take into account all the various listening devices that your track may play back on. This element of your audio is the last one. Typically you will mix your tracks to be clear, evenly ballanced and each track sounding the way you want it. Try to leave your main stereo buss empty of plugins. Use minimum compression durring the mixing stage. Leave lots of headroom in your mixdown to allow headroom for mastering tools. Assign all your tracks to one buss for even volume reduction but leave the master fader at unity (0 db). Once your happy with your mix and ballance then mix that down into stereo. Now you begin the mastering process which is not rocket science or black magic but rather it is exactly what your fighting. Mastering is simply mixing ( eq, compression, limiters ect. ) your master to sound the best that it can across many listening platforms from earbuds to cars and home stereos and you can only mix this within the realistic confines of your studio and gear. You can only do what you can with what you have but if it's any consolation you have more tools just in Auria for mastering audio than was available to the engineers who developed this process. Remember mastering is not mixing, mastering is fixing. If your track sounds good on most systems then it's mastered. As well not even pro mastered audio can sound great across all listening devices so most mastering engineers shoot for whats more popular like earbuds,cars and iPods. Good luck. Cheers.~~_/)~~~

Manimpretty
Expert

Post by Manimpretty » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:13 pm

Thanks Anthony, Great advice. I think I may be over compressing throughout the mixin stage. Im going to go back and rework some tracks and leave them a little more natural. Auria has so many great plugins I think I get carried away! I like the idea of sending everything to a single bus prior to the main as well.
Should I get carried away with EQ ing each track say in a drum mix or bus it and eq as a whole?
Thanks.
Brandon.