ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Re: ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

Post by Rim » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:36 am

For simple recording not involving any mixing, your results will probably be similar whether you use Auria or another app with the same bit depth and sample rate. But if you start to involve mixing (even mixing two tracks), you may see a difference between apps.

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Re: Does one app record better than another?

Post by Washboy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:42 am

Rim wrote:For simple recording not involving any mixing, your results will probably be similar whether you use Auria or another app with the same bit depth and sample rate. But if you start to involve mixing (even mixing two tracks), you may see a difference between apps.

Rim
Ah! Excellent news, Rim. Thanks. BTW, any chance of adding sound-activation to Auria (with user definable threshold dB level)? :wink:

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:49 am

It's possible, but I don't know if it would be a very used feature. I think that's used more for recording dialog, not music. Or am I wrong?

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Re: Does one app record better than another?

Post by Washboy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:05 am

Rim wrote:It's possible, but I don't know if it would be a very used feature. I think that's used more for recording dialog, not music. Or am I wrong?

Rim
Yes, I think it might be less useful for regular, studio-style, music recording but I get the impression that Auria is not used exclusively by musicians.

Thinking about it though, I wonder whether it might not be useful in the Audiobus context. ATM, one has to start Auria recording before playing an AB 'input' app (e.g. laying down an initial drum track). Then you have to trim and move the recorded region into place. I know that MIDI sync/start might eventually provide a solution, with compatible apps, but sound-activation could be an interim solution and a work-around for non-MIDI apps. Just a thought :)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:27 am

Audiobus has a mini transport remote control that you use to start and stop Auria from within the other app, so it's usually not a problem. But I agree, it's good to have features to expand the non-music uses of Auria. I'll have to look into how complex of an undertaking this would be.

Rim

louparte
Expert

Post by louparte » Fri May 17, 2013 8:16 pm

I have 1.09 version.

Is there a way to view the current effects settings without actually opening up the plugs themselves?

For example, on the master fader channel, I have a Pro-C insert.
I like the setting. But I didn't make a note of what exactly the settings were.

Auria does not allow me to open that insert to view the settings.
I must first move to a different plug on that insert and then move
back to Pro-C to open it up. But if I do that, I'm afraid I will lose the settings I've made.

This is something I run into every time I use Auria.
Is there some place in Auria where the FX settings are all visible?

In a hardware studio, you'd just look at the fx device.
Even in DAW's like Cubase or SONAR, you can see the effects settings.
But I don't see how to do that in Auria.

Thanks.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri May 17, 2013 9:57 pm

In Auria, to open a plug-in, you simply press the "e" button. This opens the editor window for the effect. All the settings are there. Am I missing something?

Rim

louparte
Expert

Post by louparte » Fri May 17, 2013 10:59 pm

Forgive a stupid question, where is the "e" button?

Never mind, I found it. Thanks.

jket25

Post by jket25 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:51 pm

I have been using auria for a while without any problems but just recently I have been getting a crackly static sound on everything I record and I don't know why. I turned the input volumes down on the io dock but that didn't seem to make a difference , please help!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:30 am

Are you using an iPad 2 or 3? If so, it's possible you're experiencing a coreAudio bug. To solve this, try going into the settings, using a record latency of 4096, and disabling USB Soft Start.

Rim

jket25

Post by jket25 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:04 pm

I am using an iPad 2 but I just tried what you said and it worked ! Thanks! What exactly does that do by changing that number

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:01 am

It's a well known bug in coreAudio on iPad 2 and 3 when using USB audio devices. Using those settings initializes the audio session in a way that minimizes the impact of the bug.

iPad 4 doesn't have this issue.

Rim

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:14 am

A bit of background before my question: I've been recording on iOS devices since 2010. Prior to that, I worked in a few analog studios back in the '80s and 90's. I also had a Tascam portastudio 8 track casette recorder. I was never too interested in the technical end of recording, mixing, and mastering.

Since 2010, things in the iOS recording world have been moving rapidly, and I'm getting more and more confused by what I'm reading in all the forums.

So here's my question:

When "mastering" in Auria, what are users doing? Mixing down recorded tracks to a new track without touching the master plugs and channel strips? Then master the mixed down stereo track? I've read that's what I'm "supposed" to do. I've been getting a mix I like, then using the master channel and plugins without mixing down to a new track. What's working for you? What is your mastering process? I'm working alone, recording singer songwriter, rock, bluesy stuff. Thanks.

sELF
Expert

Post by sELF » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:20 pm

Anthony Alves wrote:96k offers more information for the audio to be reproduced into the digital domain but the amount of stress it puts on your cpu makes it not the best choice. Some say that most can not hear the difference as well any track brought into Auria via audiobus is still the same quality . In simple terms there is no advantage to using 96k unless you can handle it on your recording device and the iPad's memory and cpu speed are not quite high enough yet to comfortably record at this sample rate and the difference you will hear will be very little to none. This sample rate has been known to even stall a MacBook Pro with lots of ram and cpu speed. Also remember that an audio file recorded at 24bit 96k uses 2x the drive space for wav files compared to 24bit 44.1k. As well problems can arise during the sample rate conversion if your going to use it on CD or DVD. The rule I follow is 24bit 48k for Rock and Pop music and video and 24bit 44.1 for CD mastering with 16 bit dither noise applied. If I'm just recording a single performer say acoustic guitar and vocal and my project is only about 3-4 tracks then I give it all I have for the clearest and pristine sound but only on very transparent tracks do I notice a better sheen on the high end and the bottom of the acoustic is well defined. In a full rock or pop mix or hip hop our house you will be pressed to notice any difference or just minor.
hope this helps and I think there was some good posts on this subject before so maybe do a search and you may find more info. As well the web has some great articles on the subject.cheers
Following on from your advice, I want to ask your opinion: I have been using Auria Mixdown to 32 bit / 44.1 for electronic mixes- (Samplr mastered in Auria). I definitely notice a difference in audio quality compared to 16 bit. I'm wondering about 24 bit compared to 32... Rim said higher res means higher quality. Even for my first task of a Soundcloud upload then auto convert to 128k! If I can put up with long upload times am I right to stick with 32 bit?
One other question: I do the Low Cut M = 40Hz Low Cut S 90Hz. But I still have a lot of visible low end bass rumble in Pro Q. I only have Beyer DT990s to monitor with. So, I can't really say if the Pro Q display is anything to worry about when it's not audible. Or my other experiment has been to throw in a wide notch filter setting to further reduce bass on the display around 20Hz. Not ideal, as I thought 48DB Low cuts should do it. But, my tracks have been recorded with excessive bass in Samplr (lack of real eq in app!) Any suggestions welcome. Although when I look at 'The Approach' demo track, I see that it has loads of bass activity in Pro Q below20 Hz. Perhaps I'm worrying too much about what I see on the display and not enough about the sound: I can't hear much below 50 Hz in the demo! Thanks.

Nicaddarrick

Post by Nicaddarrick » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:59 pm

I've got 60 cycle hum in the quiet areas of my guitar part. What is the easiest way to get rid of this?