ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

BGR
Expert

Questions about Mid/Side

Post by BGR » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:34 am

If you record an instrument in Mid/Side and then decode it in Auria: is it useful to add reverb to it afterwards? I mean, is the stereo information lost after applying reverb?

And, second question about Mid/Side: lets suppose you record a Piano and a Singer in different takes and tracks but both with Mid/Side: can you PAN slightly left or right each of the instruments and still have a nice stereo sound of each instruments? Or, is it just simpler to record Mono if there will be panning of the instruments in the mix? And of course, reverb?

I have to add that I am not a professional producer. Not even an experienced amateur. But I would like to experiment a bit with my sounds.

Thank you!

Tarekith
Expert

Re: ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

Post by Tarekith » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:52 am

Why are you recording mid-side in the first place instead of stereo?

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:17 pm

Mid/side is often used to fatten or widen a track so that the track sits across the stereo field. This works great on piano and acoustic guitar and more. In vocals inless your looking for that effect not as much. As for applying reverb on a stereo track well that depends on the reverbs IR field if your using convolution reverb. Rule of thumb is everything that you apply to the raw audio track will affect the recorded audio in some way or another and that includes the stereo field. How much you apply of that effect will determine the final sound. Try to pay attention to your mixing and take the time to re-access the track every time you make a change. Use a comparisson track that has nothing added to it to see where your track is going compared to the original. Cheers and hope this helped.
~~_/)~~~*

Tfmusic-1

Post by Tfmusic-1 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:50 pm

Hello guys,

Newbie to Auria here and I just have a couple of queries:

1 - Maybe I am missing something but is there a simple way to duplicate a whole track rather than having to copy and paste the regions into a new track?

2 - When overdubbing I am hearing what I have previously recorded in one ear (left) rather than both. Am I doing something wrong? On playback I hear through both ears fine. I am recording using mono tracks.

I use an iPad Air with Scarlet 2i2 interface.

Many thanks in advance for your assistance.
Tony

Sixtoro

Re: Problem working BIAS or JamUP on AURIA

Post by Sixtoro » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:47 am

I have problems running BIAS or JamUp when working in AURIA invoked from AUDIOBUS, simply, not all the time, says error in the INPUT.
There is a sequence to assemble these links ?. I have tried several but still giving error, IPAD 2 (16) Free 6 gb.

Sixtoro

Re: ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS (A channel on the other)

Post by Sixtoro » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:52 am

A channel on the other, which makes it ?, pass filtered example, I import a audio track 1, I record a guitar on track 2 (INTERFACE Tascam Ixz). Thank you

KrisBox26

Post by KrisBox26 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:24 am

Hello, all!

I'm fairly new to this so be nice,

What's the best way to master a track? Ive brought all the Fabfilter plugins.

Any help and advice is welcome!

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:48 am

Hi Kris
Welcome

It maybe a good idea to also post a new thread in the main Forum as. There's a good chance it will get more views
8)
There's loads of people that I'm sure will advise you :mrgreen:

ronlajun

Post by ronlajun » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:48 am

Just purchased auria for iPad and Morevox multitrack stereo loops....how do you set tempo of drum tracks when you import to tracks? What is aurias tempo matching feature?....any help would be appreciated.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:54 pm

When you import the loop, via "Menu->Import Audio", make sure that 'Auto Time Stretch = Yes' (bottom left of the Import Audio screen). It will offer to stretch to the BPM of your project (set by double-tapping the BPM figure at top right of the Edit Window).

ronlajun

Post by ronlajun » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:31 pm

Thanks for reply...I thought that might have something to do with it but the button is not active...I bought the full version of the drum loop program so I would think this function would work..

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:28 pm

The Yes/No radio buttons don't become active until a loop is selected from the list. The last used status is retained between uses so, once set to Yes, it'll stay that way until you change it.

P.S.: BTW, what do you mean by "the full version of the drum loop program"? Which drum loop program?

ronlajun

Post by ronlajun » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:50 pm

It's morevox multitrack stereo drum loops...it was recommended in the auria program....I am going to delete and reinstall.
Maybe it will then work....if it does, I assume that I would first to determine my tempo in auria, then import the loop while I have the time button activated at the bottom of the import page
.....if I then need to change the tempo of the drums while in the recording session, do I then have to delete the drums, set the new tempo, then import the drum loop once again with the new tempo? Or is there a way to change the tempo of the drums once in the session? Thanks for responding.....

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:05 pm

Ah! Sorry, I misunderstood and thought you were also using a separate drum loop app/program (such as "Drum Loops HD") as well as the MoReVoX loops collection IAPs in Auria. I don't think you should need to reinstall but it might help.

It's just occurred to me to ask if you're using Auria LE or the full version of Auria. I don't know for sure but time-stretching might be one of the features not included in Auria LE. I think we'd better wait for @Rim (of WaveMachineLabs) to throw some light on this. :)

Lovellthedog

Re: Sonic Quality

Post by Lovellthedog » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:48 am

I love so many aspects of Auria and desperately want to keep using it after frustrations with Cubasis. However I've noticed that the sonic quality of my mixes using Auria aren't a match for mixes of the same tracks mixed on Cubasis. How I record is on garageband as it's quick and you don't get bogged down in too much detailed eqing etc. I then send the uncompressed files to Auria. What I've noticed is that the track levels are very hot and suspect that there is some audio compression happening in Auria. The same tracks in Cubasis aren't so hot with more headroom. Anyway the mixes from Auria sound lovely but also sound small in comparison as though they have been copied several times. Any pointers? Thanks