ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

ronlajun

Re: ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

Post by ronlajun » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:48 am

Just purchased auria for iPad and Morevox multitrack stereo loops....how do you set tempo of drum tracks when you import to tracks? What is aurias tempo matching feature?....any help would be appreciated.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:54 pm

When you import the loop, via "Menu->Import Audio", make sure that 'Auto Time Stretch = Yes' (bottom left of the Import Audio screen). It will offer to stretch to the BPM of your project (set by double-tapping the BPM figure at top right of the Edit Window).

ronlajun

Post by ronlajun » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:31 pm

Thanks for reply...I thought that might have something to do with it but the button is not active...I bought the full version of the drum loop program so I would think this function would work..

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:28 pm

The Yes/No radio buttons don't become active until a loop is selected from the list. The last used status is retained between uses so, once set to Yes, it'll stay that way until you change it.

P.S.: BTW, what do you mean by "the full version of the drum loop program"? Which drum loop program?

ronlajun

Post by ronlajun » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:50 pm

It's morevox multitrack stereo drum loops...it was recommended in the auria program....I am going to delete and reinstall.
Maybe it will then work....if it does, I assume that I would first to determine my tempo in auria, then import the loop while I have the time button activated at the bottom of the import page
.....if I then need to change the tempo of the drums while in the recording session, do I then have to delete the drums, set the new tempo, then import the drum loop once again with the new tempo? Or is there a way to change the tempo of the drums once in the session? Thanks for responding.....

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:05 pm

Ah! Sorry, I misunderstood and thought you were also using a separate drum loop app/program (such as "Drum Loops HD") as well as the MoReVoX loops collection IAPs in Auria. I don't think you should need to reinstall but it might help.

It's just occurred to me to ask if you're using Auria LE or the full version of Auria. I don't know for sure but time-stretching might be one of the features not included in Auria LE. I think we'd better wait for @Rim (of WaveMachineLabs) to throw some light on this. :)

Lovellthedog

Re: Sonic Quality

Post by Lovellthedog » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:48 am

I love so many aspects of Auria and desperately want to keep using it after frustrations with Cubasis. However I've noticed that the sonic quality of my mixes using Auria aren't a match for mixes of the same tracks mixed on Cubasis. How I record is on garageband as it's quick and you don't get bogged down in too much detailed eqing etc. I then send the uncompressed files to Auria. What I've noticed is that the track levels are very hot and suspect that there is some audio compression happening in Auria. The same tracks in Cubasis aren't so hot with more headroom. Anyway the mixes from Auria sound lovely but also sound small in comparison as though they have been copied several times. Any pointers? Thanks

Br8zinn
Expert

Post by Br8zinn » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:38 pm

image.jpg
cheers

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:10 am

@Lovellthedog...First, Auria doesn't compress any audio or do anything to it when audio is being imported into Auria either via interapp open in or through iTunes. Second, I don't see how just hitting rec in Auria is any more complex than hitting record in Garageband. Third, if Cubasis is getting a level other than the one you sent than it's Cubasis that is leveling the audio. Auria brings in exactly what you sent to it, so if it's too hot than Auria will show that. One way to eliminate this is to simply lower the track volume and main volume in Garageband before exporting the track or tracks. Remember that Garagebands vu meters are not acurate at all. I know I've checked. However even if your audio is imported too hot into Auria, simply highlight the entire waveform and under -Process- hit -Gain- and setto -10 or more DB and the entire wave will drop in output by that amount. If your getting songs that sonically sound better than Auria in Cubasis than your simply not using Auria correctly. In my opinion of using Cubasis is it sounds cheap, limited, compressed and fake. Sounds like a toy or an iOS demo. Auria lets you produce like a real engineer. Cheers and best to leave the Cubase praise in their forum, they could use some right now.~~_/)~~~*

dobroz

Post by dobroz » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:07 am

Hey Anthony, Just joined here & still a noob at iOS recording. I've completed my first short song in garageband & quickly realized I need something with more tools to seriously mix/master. I've done ZERO recording before this, so iOS is my starting point. I just purchased Auria then realized I can't easily import my GB project if I want all separate tracks (just using GB copy/paste or export to app function). I've read some older threads about a long tedius process to export one track at a time by email, but this one seems closest to what I need to know as far as a recent one. Do I need a separate app to copy/paste my tracks into Auria from GB? I've read about AudioCopy but don't know what that is. Please tell me there is an up to date, faster than the email track-by-track, method. Thanks!

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:30 am

@dobroz
Yes there is a faster way than the email option. But still only one track at a time. This is a limitation of Garageband for iPad as it doesn't have multi stem export. Lets say you have 10 tracks in Garageband. Say track 1 in Garageband is Bass Guitar, solo that track then close the song. Rename the song Bass Guitar so that you know what track it is when you look for it in Auria. Now in Garageband hit SELECT after renaming the song to Bass Guitar and tap the song Bass Guitar, it will highlight with a blue border and wiggle. Now while it's still wiggling tap the upper left corner ( a little square box with an arrow pointing up in the box ). This opens up a menu. Tap the A that says OPEN IN under the A which stands for apps. Another window opens. This is the share window. Make sure you select
uncompressed AIFF 16/44.1 khz file type. Now tap SHARE on the upoer right hand corner of this share window. It will now say EXPORTING SONG. As soon as that is done a list of the apps you can share this file with will show up. Choose Auria. Now in Auria in the waveform editor go to MENU. Under Menu select IMPORT AUDIO. Now you will see the track Bass Guitar. Select it and asign a track for that file to be copied to. If you have no tracks in your project yet you can just hit the + sign and Auria will add a track for that file to be copied to. That's it. This really takes very little time as each track copies pretty fast. Do this for each track. Cheers and I hoped this helped.~~_/)~~~*
P.S. Tip...Lower the volume of the soloed track as well as the main volume in Garageband or your file will import too hot into Auria. I usually set all my Gargeband tracks to their nominal volume and the main to halfway. Cheers.

dobroz

Post by dobroz » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:03 am

Great! Got it working so far. Looking forward to Auria and this forum--Thanks!

dobroz

Post by dobroz » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:08 am

Lol! Was just about to ask you why my tracks are pegging like crazy! I'll start this over...

Tesla-K.Organization

Post by Tesla-K.Organization » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:59 am

Hi, I want to record separate drumtracks from DM1 (loaded via fx) into Auria, using the "solo" buttons in DM1.
How do I set up Auria and DM1 so the tracks will sync?
In previous attempts I saved the drumtracks from DM1 as separate tracks to dropbox, then imported them into Auria.
But that was tedious and not a lot of fun.
ps. some apps show a small Auria control panel, with play and record buttons, which would solve my problem, but somehow DM1 doesn't have that.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:35 am

Frankly, DM1's MIDI sync is and has always been problematic, especially with Auria. As you've discovered, DM1 provides no control of the host app under IAA (not even a 'return to host' button). This is indicative of Fingerlab's consideration of users' workflow needs.

If all you need is manual control of Auria from DM1, you could use Audiobus instead of iOS IAA. Audibus will give you control buttons for Auria, from within DM1.