ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Br8zinn
Expert

Re: ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

Post by Br8zinn » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:38 pm

image.jpg
cheers

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:10 am

@Lovellthedog...First, Auria doesn't compress any audio or do anything to it when audio is being imported into Auria either via interapp open in or through iTunes. Second, I don't see how just hitting rec in Auria is any more complex than hitting record in Garageband. Third, if Cubasis is getting a level other than the one you sent than it's Cubasis that is leveling the audio. Auria brings in exactly what you sent to it, so if it's too hot than Auria will show that. One way to eliminate this is to simply lower the track volume and main volume in Garageband before exporting the track or tracks. Remember that Garagebands vu meters are not acurate at all. I know I've checked. However even if your audio is imported too hot into Auria, simply highlight the entire waveform and under -Process- hit -Gain- and setto -10 or more DB and the entire wave will drop in output by that amount. If your getting songs that sonically sound better than Auria in Cubasis than your simply not using Auria correctly. In my opinion of using Cubasis is it sounds cheap, limited, compressed and fake. Sounds like a toy or an iOS demo. Auria lets you produce like a real engineer. Cheers and best to leave the Cubase praise in their forum, they could use some right now.~~_/)~~~*

dobroz

Post by dobroz » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:07 am

Hey Anthony, Just joined here & still a noob at iOS recording. I've completed my first short song in garageband & quickly realized I need something with more tools to seriously mix/master. I've done ZERO recording before this, so iOS is my starting point. I just purchased Auria then realized I can't easily import my GB project if I want all separate tracks (just using GB copy/paste or export to app function). I've read some older threads about a long tedius process to export one track at a time by email, but this one seems closest to what I need to know as far as a recent one. Do I need a separate app to copy/paste my tracks into Auria from GB? I've read about AudioCopy but don't know what that is. Please tell me there is an up to date, faster than the email track-by-track, method. Thanks!

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:30 am

@dobroz
Yes there is a faster way than the email option. But still only one track at a time. This is a limitation of Garageband for iPad as it doesn't have multi stem export. Lets say you have 10 tracks in Garageband. Say track 1 in Garageband is Bass Guitar, solo that track then close the song. Rename the song Bass Guitar so that you know what track it is when you look for it in Auria. Now in Garageband hit SELECT after renaming the song to Bass Guitar and tap the song Bass Guitar, it will highlight with a blue border and wiggle. Now while it's still wiggling tap the upper left corner ( a little square box with an arrow pointing up in the box ). This opens up a menu. Tap the A that says OPEN IN under the A which stands for apps. Another window opens. This is the share window. Make sure you select
uncompressed AIFF 16/44.1 khz file type. Now tap SHARE on the upoer right hand corner of this share window. It will now say EXPORTING SONG. As soon as that is done a list of the apps you can share this file with will show up. Choose Auria. Now in Auria in the waveform editor go to MENU. Under Menu select IMPORT AUDIO. Now you will see the track Bass Guitar. Select it and asign a track for that file to be copied to. If you have no tracks in your project yet you can just hit the + sign and Auria will add a track for that file to be copied to. That's it. This really takes very little time as each track copies pretty fast. Do this for each track. Cheers and I hoped this helped.~~_/)~~~*
P.S. Tip...Lower the volume of the soloed track as well as the main volume in Garageband or your file will import too hot into Auria. I usually set all my Gargeband tracks to their nominal volume and the main to halfway. Cheers.

dobroz

Post by dobroz » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:03 am

Great! Got it working so far. Looking forward to Auria and this forum--Thanks!

dobroz

Post by dobroz » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:08 am

Lol! Was just about to ask you why my tracks are pegging like crazy! I'll start this over...

Tesla-K.Organization

Post by Tesla-K.Organization » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:59 am

Hi, I want to record separate drumtracks from DM1 (loaded via fx) into Auria, using the "solo" buttons in DM1.
How do I set up Auria and DM1 so the tracks will sync?
In previous attempts I saved the drumtracks from DM1 as separate tracks to dropbox, then imported them into Auria.
But that was tedious and not a lot of fun.
ps. some apps show a small Auria control panel, with play and record buttons, which would solve my problem, but somehow DM1 doesn't have that.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:35 am

Frankly, DM1's MIDI sync is and has always been problematic, especially with Auria. As you've discovered, DM1 provides no control of the host app under IAA (not even a 'return to host' button). This is indicative of Fingerlab's consideration of users' workflow needs.

If all you need is manual control of Auria from DM1, you could use Audiobus instead of iOS IAA. Audibus will give you control buttons for Auria, from within DM1.

Tesla-K.Organization

Post by Tesla-K.Organization » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:07 am

Washboy wrote:Frankly, DM1's MIDI sync is and has always been problematic, especially with Auria. As you've discovered, DM1 provides no control of the host app under IAA (not even a 'return to host' button). This is indicative of Fingerlab's consideration of users' workflow needs.

If all you need is manual control of Auria from DM1, you could use Audiobus instead of iOS IAA. Audibus will give you control buttons for Auria, from within DM1.
Thanks Washboy, I will try that.
(edit: works like a charm)
(edit2: sync still isn't easy. Stupid DM1 - started looking for a better drum sequencer)

Tesla-K.Organization

Post by Tesla-K.Organization » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:18 am

Tesla-K.Organization wrote:
Washboy wrote:Frankly, DM1's MIDI sync is and has always been problematic, especially with Auria. As you've discovered, DM1 provides no control of the host app under IAA (not even a 'return to host' button). This is indicative of Fingerlab's consideration of users' workflow needs.

Thanks Washboy, I will try that.
(edit: works like a charm)
(edit2: sync still isn't easy. Stupid DM1 - started looking for a better drum sequencer)
Looks like today's update to DM1 fixed the IAA issue!

Seriouscharge

Post by Seriouscharge » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:36 am

Hi
I have the app on iPad 2 mini. Love it but it keeps crashing. I'm using pre recorded backing tracks that have loaded ok and remain on the designated track but as soon as I try laying vocals it will crash and close. This is intermittent but hasn't given me any confidence to continue using this paid for app !!

Any suggestions ??
Danny

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:52 am

That's pretty unusual. Do you have any other apps running in the background? Double-tap on the home button on your iPad and swipe up on all the other apps. Also, reboot your iPad by holding down on the home button for a few seconds.

Try creating a new project in Auria. It's possible the one you're using got corrupted in some way?

Rim

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:12 am

Ever wanted to take a track that you recorded in Auria and wished you could send that track out of your 2 channel iPad audio interface into your hardware FX/Compressors/EQ ect, while at the same time recording that new processed sound into a new audio track in Auria. Here's how. I will use my setup to explain and hopefully you can adapt some or all of this to match your system. One sour note is unlike multiout audio interfaces, the basic 2 channel will only allow you to hear the single track only. So you cannot monitor the entire song at once. You will also require a small mixer, I use a Mackie 4 channel as no signal from the mixer will ever be sent to Auria's tracks just for monitoring.
1. I connect my speakers to the Mackie spk outs. ( this is where another set of speakers come in handy but this is meant for the guy who just has the basics).
2. I use the SPDIF out of my M-Audio into my Lexicon FX SPDIF in. If you don't have SPIDF use analog out by using the left channel speaker out of your audio interface as it's no longer being used and sent it to your first audio hardware. For analog out use the main volume of the audio interface to send the signal level to the first FX. For digital out use the volume of the track in Auria to send a hotter signal to the hardware processor. Not the track thats in record but the track with the audio playback.
2. I take the balanced analog Left out of the Lexicon and insert it into my WarmAudio Compressor's balanced input then out of the compressor into my SSL Alfa channel Pre/EQ strip.
3. Since my SSL has it's own DAC/ADC it has SPDIF out so I connect that to the M-Audio SPSIF in but if your last unit doesn't have digital out just use the analog out into the analog input of your audiobox. I then take the analog out of the SSL into the Mackie mixer. If you can't send out 2 cables from your FX hardware you will need a splitter cable to send one into the audio interface and one to the mixer if you have to remain with analog cables.
3. Take a specilal cable that goes from headphone out of your audio interface into 2 channels of the Mixer. This part is not needed but really helps in hearing back the whole track after recording is done and all rec lights are off and always have these down when tracking or when Auria is in record as feadback or delay will be heard.
Ok that's the set-up but you may only have one FX hardware which just makes this easier as there is less cabling.
4. Now here is what you do in Auria. On the mixer create an empty track. Mute every track but the one you want process and the newly created track. Send the track with audio to a buss. I use buss 1. No other track should be sent to this buss. Name that buss to match the track so you dont get confused in the OutPut Matrix.
5. In the Output Matrix tap the yellow Mains light to turn it off. Tap the now named buss. It's lights will turn on. That's it there.
6. Set the new track into record mode and turn up the input you sent your mixer of the direct out of your FX hardware and make sure that the headphone return channels on the mixer are off so that you don't hear the 2 signals at the same time as that demonstrates the latency for the signal to return from this audio path. Only listen to the direct out of your Hardware FX durring tracking.
7. Now play Auria and you will see that as the track plays the same track is being monitored in the new track but now as you adjust you outboard gear you will hear this change as your really listening to the hardware and not Auria but however what you hear is exactly what is being recorded. When done check to see that the tracks lined up due to the latency. If they don't simply zoom out in the editor, line up the new track to the old one. When this is done delete the old track and now your newly processed track is in the mix. The ideal way would be to process while the track is in thw whole mix and I'm working on that.
8. You will need to return to the Output Matrix to turn the Mains back on and the buss off. This returns Auria back to normal and allows you to monitor the whole mix back as well as solo just the two tracks to see if they are indeed aligned. You can now monitor using the 2 channels of the mixer you sent from the headphones out of the audio interface or you can simply return the spks back to the audio interface.
Wow. That's it and if anyone can't do this I will do a video on my channel for it.
None of this would be possible if not for Auria's matrix. Oh and if you have a multi out audio interface this is tons easier. As far as my tests went whenever I recorded with digital out to analog in the tracks needed re-aligning but when I recorded from digital out to digital in the tracks where properly aligned.

Cheers and this is likely for the gerahead tech who likes to use ouboard gear with Auria after the tracks have been recorded.
~~_/)~~~*

popyourcorn

Post by popyourcorn » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:59 pm

Hi,
Is there a way to automate the bypass for timeless2? I have a project in which I routed 4 tracks to subgroup 1 and then applied timeless2. I want the effect only in some points of the tracks; I've automated the wet knob and turned it down completely but there's always a residual delay....

pitzipado
Expert

Post by pitzipado » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:56 pm

popyourcorn wrote:Hi,
Is there a way to automate the bypass for timeless2? I have a project in which I routed 4 tracks to subgroup 1 and then applied timeless2. I want the effect only in some points of the tracks; I've automated the wet knob and turned it down completely but there's always a residual delay....
One way to do it might be to put the plug in an aux slot
then you can use "enable aux" option in the automation
selector of the track edit window
Hope this helps
best
jp