ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Jus
Expert

Re: ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

Post by Jus » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:09 pm

Thanks for that , was hoping that was the case 8)

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:14 pm

drock wrote:So, this is off topic but I plan to send out each track of my album to a mastering house for the biggest reason of - the songs are being written to seamlessly go into one another (think iTunes 'gapless album') because I just dont think that it'd be possible in auria to set that up. I assume certain software used on an actual computer by a pro would be able to accomplish this during the mastering process. A good example of this would be Pink Floyds "Dark Side Of The Moon". Sorry if this is off topic but thanks!
Your best way is to slice your individual tracks out of the mix at a point where the transition is the quietest point. Then after slicing load the individual tracks into your CD burning software and set the gap between songs to 0.
Hope this helped.
Cheers
~~_/)~~~

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:25 pm

Sorry Drock, I should mention that I am assuming that the tracks are already glued together in the mix but if your starting from say 8 seperate tracks and you want them to be one track with each song blending into the other than you can do this by loading each song into a seperate track and simply line up the next track to begin as the last track is ending. Create a fade out of one track and a fade into the other like Pink Floyd. It will depend on what type of transition your looking for. Once you have them all lined up in the project, the mixdown to a stereo wav file and then use the method above to slice your long track and load into your CD burner. This method allows the listener to select different tracks within the mix rather than seeing only one track that is 59:47 long you will see 8 tracks totalling 59:47 eg. only.

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:46 pm

That's great info, Anthony, thanks! Although I did forget to mention that this will be a digital album only and not a physical CD when it first comes out... I don't know if that changes things. Thanks again.

louparte
Expert

Post by louparte » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:49 am

Is there a tutorial on the tape simulation in the Micro-Warmer? I don't know the aural difference between slow tape speed & fast.

Donald77

Post by Donald77 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:12 pm

This is such a basic question but I hope someone will take a moment to help me. After removing unwanted sections (regions) of a track I want to save a copy containing ONLY the remaining portion of the track.

I've tried cut and (remove) region commands and then moved the remaining (desired) section to beginning of timeline then saved to new file. However when I play back the new file ALL sections of the original track still play ( even though you don't see them in the track wave or timeline.

I don't see anything in the manual about this basic function. Thanks.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:52 am

Donald77 wrote:This is such a basic question but I hope someone will take a moment to help me. After removing unwanted sections (regions) of a track I want to save a copy containing ONLY the remaining portion of the track.

I've tried cut and (remove) region commands and then moved the remaining (desired) section to beginning of timeline then saved to new file. However when I play back the new file ALL sections of the original track still play ( even though you don't see them in the track wave or timeline.

I don't see anything in the manual about this basic function. Thanks.
Solo the track that you have your edited region
Choose mixdown under the menu and import as a new track and choose stereo or mono and the sample rate.
Your new cut out part is now on a new track and then you can copy/paste it into other apps or whatever you like. Cheers
Hope this helped.
~~_/)~~~

JeroenJ

Post by JeroenJ » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:26 am

Hello,

I am currently using Auria to make rehearsal recordings of both a BigBand I play in (bass guitar) and a mixed acapella choir (singing Tenor).
I have a setup with an IPad4, M-Audio MobilePre Usb and a Samson C02 Pencil Condenser Microphones set.

I am looking into expanding my (currently very) limited use of Auria by making rehearsal tracks of (new) songs for the choir.
Something like seperately recording the SATB parts and mixing them for each voice, i.e. tracks with a stereo mix containing a voice on the left side
and 'the rest' on the right side (for each voice). Maybe also mixes without a specific voice so people can practice with the rest of the voices, etc.

I was wondering if anyone else is doing vocal only (acapella) recordings with Auria?
Are there any tips & tricks for doing these kind of things?

Also, I hear a lot good things about some of the Auria plugins, but I am wondering which ones are especially usefull related to vocals.
Any suggestions?

Best regards,

Jeroen Janssen

Blipsford Bobby

Post by Blipsford Bobby » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:16 am

Hi. This post is regarding the meters in Auria, or any analog style meter i suppose. I'm not new to mixing, but my experience has been limited to DAWS or in the box. After several years practice i'm finally producing polished mixes in ableton and mastering with izotope and Peak 6 (apologies to the real engineers for using the term so loosely). So please explain to me what i need to know about these analog style meters in Auria in terms of how to read them. I imported some of my finished works with everything set to unity in Auria with effects bypassed, and it's startling for me to see so much red on the channel strip on material that peaks at -0.3dB with a RMS -10 thru -11. I googled the subject but i'm even more confused because it brings up topics of acoustics and calibration. All i vaguely remember from years ago is 0db = X (+6?) with the other measurement. But what is X and is this a fixed relative amount? For example if X = +6, then would -18dB = -12dBu? Also, i'm curious to know the merit of using analog style meters in a digital based system, such as the iPad. The only thing i can think of is being able to read the overs, which i guess seems quite valuable actually. Thanks :)

Shay
Expert

Post by Shay » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:21 pm

Hi all

I have a newbie question.

What is the best way to prevent a string sound from dominating the song?
I want the bass, drum and lead sounds to stay in front and the string far in the background.
It somehow blends with them and they become less distinct and clear.

Thank,
Shay

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:29 pm

Shay wrote:Hi all

I have a newbie question.

What is the best way to prevent a string sound from dominating the song?
I want the bass, drum and lead sounds to stay in front and the string far in the background.
It somehow blends with them and they become less distinct and clear.

Thank,
Shay
What could be happening is that the frequency of the string may be overpowering your other parts or possible masking the other tracks. Try eq to remove much of the strings bottom end. And I take it when you mean strings you mean violins, string section of an orchestra. Heavily compress the strings and turn them down in the mix. Also pan the string to get out of the way of the bass and other elements. Hope this helps cause there is many ways to tackle this situation. Maybe others would like to chime in here and offer their techniques. Good luck.
Cheers
~~_/)~~~

Shay
Expert

Post by Shay » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:41 pm

Thank you Anthony for your clear explanation.
I'll check the eq and compressor on this track.

Best regards,
Shay

Lee B
Expert

Post by Lee B » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:03 pm

Hi Shay, I'll also add that reverb can help a sound sit back in the mix too.

Cheers

Lee

Blipsford Bobby

Post by Blipsford Bobby » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:41 pm

"Hi. This post is regarding the meters in Auria, or any analog style meter..."

RE: Apologies. After reading in the manual that they're full scale, i realized i failed to notice the smaller digital scale to the right of the leds. Also i found the clip indicator.

herrgausb

Post by herrgausb » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:38 am

Hi, will Auria LE work with The JamUp-Plugin?