ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:56 pm

Washboy wrote:
Anthony Alves wrote:This is were you want to print the FX version and remove the plugins used to create the FX, delete the region and import you FX track back in tand your now listening to the FX'd track without using any plugin and your original unaffected track is still on file to bring up at anytime to add new or different FX.
Is there not a danger that Auria's garbage collector will delete the original data because it's no longer in use?
When you Freeze a track in Auria the plugins are right there ready and waiting to be re-installed as soon as you unfreeze the track.
Perhaps what's needed is for Auria to unload plugins from frozen tracks, while remembering all the settings, so that the plugins can be reloaded and returned to their settings, if the track is unfrozen. Hang on! - isn't that what Auria does already?
Yes thats exactly what Auria does and its because of this feature that some are applying too many plugins, Auria crashes then wont open because it wants to load the last remembered presets which in turn causes the crash again. I have mrntioned to Rim the danger of Auria deleting tracks or regions from my projects on its own is very dangerous espesially if Auria crashes. For this reason I have asked that we be allowed to delete whatever we wish and nit Auria except for a warning telling me Im about to delete a file and am I sure I want to do that giving me one last chance to rethink the process. This is how PC and Mac Daw work.
Thanks for your input on the subject and very good suggestions. Cheers.
~~_/)~~~

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:25 pm

In 1.06, I introduce a snapshot system, which will really help in situations like this. A snapshot only takes a second to create, and gives a peace of mind if you want to try other things.

Rim

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:37 am

Rim wrote:In 1.06, I introduce a snapshot system, which will really help in situations like this. A snapshot only takes a second to create, and gives a peace of mind if you want to try other things.

Rim
Very cool Rim. Thaank you.

1927Gibson

Post by 1927Gibson » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:54 pm

The recording aspect of Auria works fine. Very impressive. However.... Will there ever be a way to simply email a project without going through Soundcloud, or some other series of hoops. This is truly an obstacle to everyday mainstream people that have real full time jobs, but aren't going to spend all of their time trying to juggle files. For the end-users who don't mind doing this.. great....but for the developers of the app who are trying to profit from it and expand business.. make it more user friendly. Business 101

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:17 am

Most users find SoundCloud to be much easier than email, and a more reliable way to transfer large files. Not sure if you looked into it (accounts are free at soundCloud). When you upload, you can chose whether to make the file private or public. In any case, yes, simple email is on our list to add as a mixdown option as well.

Rim

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:23 pm

So, this is off topic but I plan to send out each track of my album to a mastering house for the biggest reason of - the songs are being written to seamlessly go into one another (think iTunes 'gapless album') because I just dont think that it'd be possible in auria to set that up. I assume certain software used on an actual computer by a pro would be able to accomplish this during the mastering process. A good example of this would be Pink Floyds "Dark Side Of The Moon". Sorry if this is off topic but thanks!

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:11 pm

Hi people
Can someone just confirm for me please when recording using a bigger buffer size

Does it just effect the latency / cpu and not the quality of the recording Input signal recorded

Cheers 8)

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:03 pm

Jus wrote:Hi people
Can someone just confirm for me please when recording using a bigger buffer size

Does it just effect the latency / cpu and not the quality of the recording Input signal recorded

Cheers 8)
Hi, no the audio is not affected so the quality remains the same. You just get more latency and that could affect your performance like singing but that's about it and it's less taxing on the cpu.
Cheers.
~~_/)~~~

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:09 pm

Thanks for that , was hoping that was the case 8)

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:14 pm

drock wrote:So, this is off topic but I plan to send out each track of my album to a mastering house for the biggest reason of - the songs are being written to seamlessly go into one another (think iTunes 'gapless album') because I just dont think that it'd be possible in auria to set that up. I assume certain software used on an actual computer by a pro would be able to accomplish this during the mastering process. A good example of this would be Pink Floyds "Dark Side Of The Moon". Sorry if this is off topic but thanks!
Your best way is to slice your individual tracks out of the mix at a point where the transition is the quietest point. Then after slicing load the individual tracks into your CD burning software and set the gap between songs to 0.
Hope this helped.
Cheers
~~_/)~~~

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:25 pm

Sorry Drock, I should mention that I am assuming that the tracks are already glued together in the mix but if your starting from say 8 seperate tracks and you want them to be one track with each song blending into the other than you can do this by loading each song into a seperate track and simply line up the next track to begin as the last track is ending. Create a fade out of one track and a fade into the other like Pink Floyd. It will depend on what type of transition your looking for. Once you have them all lined up in the project, the mixdown to a stereo wav file and then use the method above to slice your long track and load into your CD burner. This method allows the listener to select different tracks within the mix rather than seeing only one track that is 59:47 long you will see 8 tracks totalling 59:47 eg. only.

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:46 pm

That's great info, Anthony, thanks! Although I did forget to mention that this will be a digital album only and not a physical CD when it first comes out... I don't know if that changes things. Thanks again.

louparte
Expert

Post by louparte » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:49 am

Is there a tutorial on the tape simulation in the Micro-Warmer? I don't know the aural difference between slow tape speed & fast.

Donald77

Post by Donald77 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:12 pm

This is such a basic question but I hope someone will take a moment to help me. After removing unwanted sections (regions) of a track I want to save a copy containing ONLY the remaining portion of the track.

I've tried cut and (remove) region commands and then moved the remaining (desired) section to beginning of timeline then saved to new file. However when I play back the new file ALL sections of the original track still play ( even though you don't see them in the track wave or timeline.

I don't see anything in the manual about this basic function. Thanks.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:52 am

Donald77 wrote:This is such a basic question but I hope someone will take a moment to help me. After removing unwanted sections (regions) of a track I want to save a copy containing ONLY the remaining portion of the track.

I've tried cut and (remove) region commands and then moved the remaining (desired) section to beginning of timeline then saved to new file. However when I play back the new file ALL sections of the original track still play ( even though you don't see them in the track wave or timeline.

I don't see anything in the manual about this basic function. Thanks.
Solo the track that you have your edited region
Choose mixdown under the menu and import as a new track and choose stereo or mono and the sample rate.
Your new cut out part is now on a new track and then you can copy/paste it into other apps or whatever you like. Cheers
Hope this helped.
~~_/)~~~