ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Julia

Re: ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

Post by Julia » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:48 pm

I am in the process of recording some rehearsal trax for my 6th grade students to use in practicing their choral parts. I would like to record the piano accompaniment for each choral piece. Then I would like to use that accompaniment recording to create a trax with just the alto vocals and another for just soprano vocals. Is it possible to copy the entire piano accompaniment recordings and paste them into a new project folder within Auria?
Thank you.
Julia

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:01 pm

Julia,

Yes, this is possible. What you need to do is record the piano part, then use the Export MIDI File function. This will create a MIDI file in your main Auria folder. Now, whenever you create a new project, you can import this MIDI file into the new project and add other tracks as you see fit.

Rim

Mikearnett2003

Post by Mikearnett2003 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:05 pm

Not sure if anyone else had this issue when they started, but I am a new Auria user and I am trying to set up and record 16 channels. It only lets me do one channel I tried to use instructions with the manual to set up the input matrix and the iPad pro won't allow me to set each channel routing up.... Frustrating

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:57 am

Mikearnett2003 wrote:Not sure if anyone else had this issue when they started, but I am a new Auria user and I am trying to set up and record 16 channels. It only lets me do one channel I tried to use instructions with the manual to set up the input matrix and the iPad pro won't allow me to set each channel routing up.... Frustrating
Which make/model of audio interface are you using, Mike? Info on your iPad, iOS and Auria versions might be helpful too. Have you used this interface successfully with your iPad before?

Mikearnett2003

Post by Mikearnett2003 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:22 am

First time using IPad and Auria but I have used others before. Using Behringer Air X18, and IPad Pro model # ML0N2LL/A
IOS 9.2.1 (13d15). I follow Auria directions on set up and I just does not let me assign channels through the input matrix could not figure out Auria version. If it helps I just downloaded it from the App Store this Saturday

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:05 am

Mikearnett2003 wrote:First time using IPad and Auria but I have used others before. Using Behringer Air X18, and IPad Pro model # ML0N2LL/A
IOS 9.2.1 (13d15). I follow Auria directions on set up and I just does not let me assign channels through the input matrix could not figure out Auria version. If it helps I just downloaded it from the App Store this Saturday
It might be helpful to do a forum search of "Behringer X18" because there has been quite a lot of previous discussion about it. One comment that caught my eye was:
On the XR18 I make sure that each channel is set to "analog in" for the USB routing, so everything that comes in the XLR jack goes out on the USB port.
I don't have an X18 so it means little to me but it seems to suggest some configuration is required on the X18 to make all channels available via USB, and thus to Auria.

pitzipado
Expert

Post by pitzipado » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:46 am

Mikearnett2003 wrote:First time using IPad and Auria but I have used others before. Using Behringer Air X18, and IPad Pro model # ML0N2LL/A
Hello- I use an Xair 18 and for me it worked perfectly right out of the box- just the apple cck with
the usb cable provided(no hub required) Is your blue usb icon lighting up in the header? Perhaps a screen
shot of your input matrix with Xair connected would show us something? You can go to the Xair control
app > routing and check usb in/ out configuration but the default settings for me were correct. The only
setting I had to change was in set up > audio/midi in > the default sample rate is 48k I switched to
44.1 to avoid clicking and popping on my 44.1 project. I love the little thing the Midas preamps are
very good. I use it only for live show recording so I have not used the usb playback but it appears to
be configured correctly in the Xair control. Best wishes for success soon! jp

local12

Post by local12 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:13 pm

How do I boost the gain on mix down so when I replay from a downloaded DropBox M4A file I get a decent output? When I replay in the car, the tunes are barely louder than the car noise. Thanks.

Oscar South

Post by Oscar South » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:39 pm

I'm sure that this has been asked MANY times, but can Auria Pro send out MIDI information from it's own port (or to another app's) that can be used to drive an app in Audiobus that's sending Audio back into Auria?
Or are the only options the IAA instruments listed on 'input'?

Cheers,
Oscar

Plehan

Post by Plehan » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:10 pm

*deleted*

novakram

Post by novakram » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:34 am

local12 wrote:How do I boost the gain on mix down so when I replay from a downloaded DropBox M4A file I get a decent output? When I replay in the car, the tunes are barely louder than the car noise. Thanks.
You probably want to do some basic 'mastering' on the output channel. Usually this would involve EQ, Compression, and Limiting, but you could just use the limiter built in to the DAW and crank up the fader as much as possible.

If you press the FX button on the top of the master fader, and enable the 'LIM' button which is to the right of the fader in the new window that pops up, you'll have put a limiter on the output of the overall recording. Then you can either: push the fader up high - you'll get more volume with no clipping, in reason, or, add a compressor to the master strip FX - crank the output gain of this until you get it LOUD.

This is quick and dirty to get more volume in an output mix. If you're thinking about releasing material, I'd suggest paying to get it mastered by a pro.

Hope this helps?

novakram

Post by novakram » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:39 am

Dmjbetz wrote:How can I get my recordings on disc or in a format that's easy to share?
You can output straight to M4A by selecting Menu > Mixdown. You'll have options to output a locator range or the full song (from the start of the first recording to the end of the last). For what you want to do, you should select Dropbox (you need an account - it's free) or email.

When the mixdown is complete and uploaded / sent, you'll have to use a computer to download the track and then burn to a disc from there the way you would normally. (You can drag into iTunes, create a playlist, and burn from there for example.)

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:53 am

Oscar South wrote:I'm sure that this has been asked MANY times, but can Auria Pro send out MIDI information from it's own port (or to another app's) that can be used to drive an app in Audiobus that's sending Audio back into Auria?
Or are the only options the IAA instruments listed on 'input'?

Cheers,
Oscar
I think it's not possible. But of course Auria can host instruments and send MIDI clock. And, thinking about it, output each instrument track to Audiobus as well.

Geoff.B

Post by Geoff.B » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:01 pm

Is there a way to arm Auria for Audio recording and trigger the record head to start when a signal is heard? I have an OP-1 that I send to an audio interface through the Caner Connection Kit into Auria. Thanks in advance for any advice on this.

Creep13x

Post by Creep13x » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:50 pm

I'm on a tight budget and looking for the best vocal processing for Auria Pro that I can afford. I sing everything from neo-classical, to blues, to metal. Any recommendations?