ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Higgy

Re: ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

Post by Higgy » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:28 pm

Yes Tarekith ur absolutely right :)

firehosed
Expert

Pro-C

Post by firehosed » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:47 pm

I am having a very hard time understanding how to properly use Pro-C. I feel like things are getting muddy and distorted. I have tried watching videos on YouTube and it's still not clicking. Anyone able to help or point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Tarekith
Expert

Post by Tarekith » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:09 pm

Here's a quick guide to compression that I wrote awhile back:

http://tarekith.com/assets/pdfs/DynamicsControl.pdf

Did you watch the Fabfilter video for Pro-C too? That's actually a pretty good overview I thought:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkeJqtJGn0I

firehosed
Expert

Post by firehosed » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:07 am

I have watched that video, several times. I will definitely check out your blog. Thank you

RobB
Expert

Post by RobB » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:34 am

I've been meaning to ask this for some time and I've just been reminded by another post.
Is there an expert out there who can tell me what the use of pre fader metering would be? It doesn't make sense to me to have the meter display the recorded level and not display the level that is actually being sent to the output. But there must be a very good reason otherwise it wouldn't be the default in Auria.
I'd just like to know in case I'm missing something :?
iPad Air / 128 | iOS 7.1 | Apogee Duet | Auria 1.14 | Cubasis 1.7.2
Learning to play drums

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:03 am

RobB wrote:...Is there an expert out there who can tell me what the use of pre fader metering would be?...
I'm no expert but I use pre-fade metering when I'm setting up input/record levels (e.g. mics & stuff). There's probably a more interesting use though ;)

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:16 am

I'm no expert either, but that is pretty much the purpose of pre-fader metering. In a DAW on the computer one usually has an input channel whose fader usually remains untouched to display the input level, and an audio channel with rec or monitor enabled that displays approximately the level one will have in the mix.

RobB
Expert

Post by RobB » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:56 pm

Thanks guys, when I read the posts my immediate reaction was duh, obviously.
So I went and tried it out, but the pre fader/post fader setting makes no difference to the input level display of the meter, it shows the raw signal coming in which is only affected by the actual input signal (external) and the 'Set record level' knob (which I just noticed has a clip indicator, I thought it was supposed to show 0 dB but was in the wrong place :0 ).
The meter only shows the level of the track when playing back either pre or post fader.
So I'm still curious as to what the pre fader metering is used for as it only shows the level of the recording (same as the waveform display). I suppose it will show if the recording has been clipped, but you can see that if you leave the fader on 0 which I assume is the same as pre-fader. Hmmm, I think I'm lost.
Learning to play drums

wayni
Expert

Post by wayni » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:54 pm

My question is regarding sidechaining. As I understand it, sidechaining kick and bass works by adding a ducking compressor to a bass track which uses the kick as a input lowering the bass's gain on overlapping beats.

Can the same compressor technique be used with vocals and guitars to allow vocals to be more prominent without adjusting the guitar track fader? Or is this easier dong with a gate/expander? If so, since I have just spent my discretionary funds on Pro-Q and Pro-C, is there a method that can be used via channelstrip or sub-channel filters or am I going to have to resort to fader control?

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:40 pm

RobB wrote:...So I went and tried it out, but the pre fader/post fader setting makes no difference to the input level display of the meter, it shows the raw signal coming in which is only affected by the actual input signal (external) and the 'Set record level' knob...

...The meter only shows the level of the track when playing back either pre or post fader....
Hmm! You're absolutely correct - and it doesn't make sense, does it? Perhaps @Rim will take time to explain what it's all about :)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:03 pm

With Pre fader metering mode, the meters show the signal before it goes through the fader. With post-fader metering, they show the signal after the fader. I just tested, and it still works this way.

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:07 pm

Rim wrote:With Pre fader metering mode, the meters show the signal before it goes through the fader. With post-fader metering, they show the signal after the fader. I just tested, and it still works this way.

Rim
Oops! I've just realised that the settings item in question is "Playback Metering" mode so has nothing to do with Record Level setting. Doh! (and apologies @RobB) :oops:

The OP's question still stands though, i.e. what is pre-fader metering used for?

RobB
Expert

Post by RobB » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:50 pm

No prob Washboy, you have my point.

My post wasn't questioning that prefader/postfader isn't working as it should, it is working as expected. Just that having the Auria default to prefader and having to change it to post for every project got me wondering that there must be a good reason for it that people with far more recording expertise than I would want it this way.
The question remains 'why?' Is that what was mostly used in the analogue tape days? If so what was the reason.

Just curious :P
Learning to play drums

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:19 am

for me it makes sense. If it doesn't make sense to someone, he can change it in the settings. Simple. Let's not waste our time with such things. Just listen to the music produced with Auria. Those composers do not question such things, they simply work with Auria, and produce music with it. That's the purpose of Auria.

RobB
Expert

Post by RobB » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:50 am

Strange response Phil.
The thread is called 'Ask the recording experts'. I'm not a recording expert but I'd like to learn more, hence the question. The thread was originally started as a sort of ask about audio recording/engineering principles as it applies to Auria. I'm just someone who asks 'why' a lot I suppose. But if it makes sense to you and you can afford to waste a bit more time I'd like to know when and why pre-fader metering would be used over post-fader. No big deal.
Learning to play drums