ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

pjnord

Re: ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

Post by pjnord » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:16 pm

Hey. Hope for a clear solution since I have cried my brain out for almost a day now.

This is hard to get in just one question, Sorry!

I did one h**** of a recording the other day. A consert containing 108 minutes of high quality performance. Back home, satisfied, tried to mix it down and export it to dropbox. Some messages about low on space, since I also tried to just export it. Took a reboot and same result. Then I hooked up itunes and removed some of the big apps on my ipad. And lucky me, did also remove Auria. (yeah, I could shoot myself) Reloaded Auria and tried several thing with no luck. Then I tried to get an import of the aif-file . Nothing in the internal maps, bur there was one in the dropbox-section. Could not find anything when I used AIF-import, but using sound import, I found it. Imported it, but there is nothing in it. It is the correct length, but no sound. Also the file size is just over 2 MB, and that would be too small for such duration. Any tip that can save me, and I will be forever greatfull

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:28 pm

Unfortunately once you delete an app, all its data is also deleted. I assume you didn't have any iCloud backups?

Rim

pjnord

Post by pjnord » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:32 pm

No, no icloud backup. But the files ported into dropbox?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:26 pm

If you did a mixdown to Dropbox, or if you used the "Save Project To Dropbox" option in Auria, then it's possible that you have a copy on Dropbox, but if this failed because of low disk space or low memory, it's hard to say if anything made it over to Dropbox. Can you look at your dropbox folder from a Mac or PC, to see if there's anything there?

Rim

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:23 pm

Hi,

A question for those experts out there willing to share info... :)

I don't understand what delay / echo is for with vocals. I have only ever used reverb on vocals and I'm sure I'm missing out.

I use delay loads on my guitar (listened to a lot of Pink Floyd and U2 :lol: ) so I get how it works to create some rhythmic guitar parts, or to thicken them up, but in my research on recording more generally, I haven't really heard / read much about what you're trying to do when you add echo / delays to a vocal.

For example, when I look at a reverb, I'm thinking about whether I want the vocal to sound close up (in which case I don't add much at all) or far away (in which case I add loads). Would I use a delay when I want a 'stadium' sound to the vocals, or is it of more general use to thicken the sound up? Why would you use a delay and not a reverb? Should I use a delay and a reverb together?

Basically, any tips for someone ignorant about the subject would be greatly received. :D

Auria, iTrack Solo, AKG414, Audio Mastering

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:34 pm

Separate question, if I'm not being too needy :wink:

To experiment with recording for my church, rather than just the stuff I've done with my band, I had a go at a recording just done simply, and with me doing all the parts, but there's a section where I can't get the mix right. It's the instrumental middle 8 and there's a Hammond part that fights with the guitar part - I think they're both dominating the same frequencies so it sounds distorted (although It doesn't seem to properly clip on the waveform).

The obvious answer would be to lose the Hammond, but I like the lift it gives at that point. I've tried to cut a hole in the Hammond part (with pro-Q) on the frequencies the guitar seems to be using mostly, but it still sounds wrong. They're panned to opposite sides, still no joy.

If anyone's willing to have a listen and give me a view, Id be grateful. The bit I want feedback on is at 3:45, to save you listening to the whole song (I'm no singer!).

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:37 pm

Hey Bob, I'm far from being an expert, but here's my take on those questions:

delay and reverb are closely related, but one reason to use delay rather than reverb is that it can thicken a vocal without muddying the sound. Also sometimes you can use more obvious delays, like slapback delays, for creative reasons.

As for your mix issue, it might just be that one part needs to be much quieter than the other, so maybe the organ should support the guitar (and be less audible) rather than compete with it.

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:02 pm

Thanks, Richard, very helpful. Now to go back to the mix...!

I'm guessing the PSP Echo is the way for me to go. I like the simplicity of plugins. Surely the missus won't notice another iTunes receipt :lol:

I guess the trick is to give it a go with the delay / echo, but I wanted to be sure it was worth it for me. Since I've been thinking about it I've been listening out for echo / delay on recorded vocals and it seems pretty common, so gotta be worth adding that to the toolkit...

Thanks again.

Gary
Expert

Post by Gary » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:22 pm

Ok, so I'm basically at ground zero as far as mixing and mastering go, but i have finally got some traction with a very recent recording I'm working on. At least there seems to be mostly low noise ealthy signals and nice balance. My question:
Can anyone recommend a (free) online good quality mix/mastering resource for beginners? Dont have the bread or time to go to recording school! Thx

Auria
Audiobus
Sunrizer/Nave
BIAS/Jamup PRo
iTrack Doc
Rode NT 1
m-audio near fields
AKG phones
Axiom Pro
Several guitars / Basses

thinds
Expert

Post by thinds » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:24 pm

Lots of great info and help at @Tarekith's site http://innerportalstudio.com/guides/

Gary
Expert

Post by Gary » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:44 pm

Awesome thanks!

superhunter2
Expert

Post by superhunter2 » Sun May 03, 2015 5:12 pm

Greetings!

1. Is there any way to extend the length of tracks with no audio?? So say my mandolin part goes from 0:36 to 1:01 in my song. I'm sending my Wav files to my friend who works in (insert DAW). I want them to know them exact placing so I want my track to go from 0:00 to 1:01 so all my tracks can easily be imported without trying to match up exact location.

2. Is there any easier way of moving wav files between garageband, studio one, and auria? Neither of those export AAF files I believe? Can you keep time stamp on tracks that get moved from DAW to DAW?

I had one other question that I can't think of, but I can start with those. Thanks

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun May 03, 2015 7:54 pm

If you go to the mixdown page and choose the "stems" option, it will create an individual wav file for each track and the sizes will all be the same. Exactly what you're looking for I think.

Rim

superhunter2
Expert

Post by superhunter2 » Tue May 05, 2015 7:22 pm

That was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much! Next question... I use pro-q eq. I however wish to also the the stock compressor on the strip. However, it goes compression in the strip -> eq but i would like it to go eq -> compression. Is there any way of doing that? :/

Gary
Expert

Post by Gary » Tue May 05, 2015 8:59 pm

I'm looking for a good quality convincing piano app to use in Auria. I downloaded a couple of free apps but they don't cut it on the authenticity side of piano sound (as far as I can tell). I was thinking of Korg Module ... anyone have any experience using this in Auria? Is it compatible? Any other apps out there anyone is using? Thx.