ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Re: ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

Post by Rim » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:26 am

What kind of problems are you having with the subgroups?

Rim

PUMP
Expert

Post by PUMP » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:36 pm

I just figured it out. The problem was I was grouping my drums and everything was fine then when I went to group backing vocals the plug ins wouldn't work. Come to find out when I switch to use the 64 bit mixer in the middle of the project the plugins won't work in the subgroups and side chaining compression with a bassline and the bass drum is also impossible. Once I switched the 64 bit mixer back off everything worked fine again. So now I'm gonna begin the same project in a new project (if that makes sense lol) with the 64 bit mixer on before I do anything to make sure that is the problem. I have another problem also is the auto scan transients option killing my first kick drum when I import my kick drum track from AudioCopy? By the way congrats on being named one of the runner up daws by computer music I left logic and pro tools for Auria so keep up the good work!!!!

Nashbash

Post by Nashbash » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:49 pm

I'm new to Auria
Is it possible to export stems in Auria. I can't seem to find it
Thx

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:20 am

Yes, in the Mixdown screen, just choose "stems" as the file type (it's WAV by default, but it can be changed to stems).

Rim

PUMP
Expert

Post by PUMP » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:36 pm

After doing quite a few tests in both 96k and 44.1 with the 64bit mix engine turned on I can not use side chaining with the fabfilter compressor

Sullycaster

Post by Sullycaster » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:17 am

I'm having some serious, stressing out trouble. My update to Pro went fine, all of my projects moved over, and I have a more powerful iPad; everything great so far. BUT, when I record, I get sound, all of the levels are moving, in the waveform page it is writing a waveform as I record; but when I hit stop or play to end recording--everything I just recorded disappears! I re-read the manual--I've gone through and double checked my setting on my iPad, but it still won't keep a recording. I'm using a Focusrite iTrack Dock for my interface--there isn't any complications there-I'm obviously getting a signal into the app. I really need some help--I need to send some demos to my drummer.
Thanks for your help,
Steve

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:02 am

One thing to check - make sure Auto Punch is not enabled. This is in the transport menu.

Rim

stanbrubaker

Post by stanbrubaker » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:41 pm

How do I fill in the gaps between audio vocal clips to match the background noise?

I spent many weeks doing a complicated professional video for my company, with lots of Photoshop work, animations, etc. Then I recorded the full four-minute narration for it in Auria Pro (what fun!), with just a bit of reverb, and cut it into 34 clips so I could line them up perfectly, time-wise, with the video.

I love the way my voice turned out, but now if I turn the volume way up, while listening with my headphones, I can hear the "dry" silence between my slightly "wet" vocals clips— kind of an On-Off-On-Off distraction. Do I need to go back and redo all the cutting and lining up with my vocals totally DRY, and THEN add reverb to the whole four minutes? Or is there an easier way, since I spent most of a day aligning all the narration clips with their animations?

For example, I think Reaper had a feature that would let me "sample" background noise and then copy it where needed. Guess I could do a mixdown, and take my .wav file into Reaper and try it there, but does Auria Pro have something like that?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Duckmandu
Expert

Post by Duckmandu » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:14 am

So I'm trying to do multi track recording with Audiobus and Auria. Is soon as everything is set up, I get no sound at all! Not from Auria playing back the last track record of, not from the new synth - nothing. The transport is moving, the meter shows a signal but I hear nothing.

Any thoughts?

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:45 pm

Stanbrubaker...

If I've read your post right, there's background noise on your voiceover and now that you've sliced it up, the background noise is noticeably there when you're talking, then audibly goes away, making it sound a bit rubbish.

I'm not aware of a function for re-creating background noise, but would suggest two possible workarounds.

1. If you want the background noise: record your voiceover with a single take by having the current, sliced voiceover visible on the track view whilst you're recording. You will see the waveforms coming, so you can time your start times from that. Shouldn't take long. Then delete the sliced up track.

2. If you don't want the background noise: forgive me if you know this already, but if it's not too loud, that's what the low pass filter is for. Experiment with different settings until the background noise can't be heard. Sometimes, if background noise is too loud, getting rid of it altogether makes the audio you want sound weird. The only option I could then suggest is re-recording it in a quieter room. Make sure you stuff things in any air gaps around doors etc, or try to get access to a really quiet place. Sometimes I spend ages messing with a recording when re-taking it is better and quicker.

I may have missed the point, though, if so, I apologise. All the best with it.

Auria, iTrack Solo, AKG414, Audio Mastering

Dylan Bob

Post by Dylan Bob » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:33 pm

Hello.

what are some of the most efficient (fastest ) methods the experts use in auria pro to line up kick drum and bass parts so they are in sync. These are not midi tracks but recorded instruments. I know I could split, cut, paste, and move parts to line up but this is quite tedious.

Thanks in advance

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:43 am

Dylan Bob wrote:Hello.

what are some of the most efficient (fastest ) methods the experts use in auria pro to line up kick drum and bass parts so they are in sync. These are not midi tracks but recorded instruments. I know I could split, cut, paste, and move parts to line up but this is quite tedious.

Thanks in advance
Right so what you use in audio to quantize because that is what you're doing here whenever you want some audio to lock up to the tempo of the project. Transient markers are used in AuriaPro so if that is what you own you can quantize your audio tracks. You can also place the track into warp and move the transient markers yourself and have them snap to a value that your choose. So if you set the snap to 1/8 note when you move the transient by hand it will automatically snap to the nearest 1/8 beat on the time line. Oh and not to be too funny but the fastest and most efficient way to line up a kick and bass part is to have the musician play on time...lol :lol: :lol:

jimhenry
Expert

Post by jimhenry » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:20 pm

Hi-

I posted this in general discussion but figured I post it here too:

Upon doing the loopback test on two different interfaces multiple times I'm finding the latency offset number to be in the -90 to -100 sample range every time. Is that an acceptable amount...meaning it's no big deal and I shouldn't worry about it? Should I calibrate every time? I'd love some clarification/validation about what a reasonable range is...thanks in advance...jim

Bullabs

Post by Bullabs » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:28 pm

Hello,
I use Auria Pro with my apogee Duet with my band and I have some questions about using two outputs with Auria.

I have 3 tracks to send,
Track 1 is a Click track
Track 2 is a bass track
Track 3 is a synth and FX track

I have to send track 1 and track 2 to the drummer (with the phone output of the Duet) and send track 2 and track 3 to the line output.

The problem appears when I have to send track 2 at low volume for the drummer, and high volume for the line output.
So this is what I've done, but I have to use 5 busses to achieve my goal, I don't know if there is a way to do this more efficiently:

Thanks for your advices
Attachments
IMG_0062.jpg

Sound Wavy Davy

Can I turn off midi through, during recording ?

Post by Sound Wavy Davy » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:15 pm

I am recording midi from a keyboard.
The midi data from the keyboard, comes into Auria (for recording), passes through and is routed back to the keyboard (for playback).

I need to prevent midi data coming from my keyboard internally and Auria eternally, at the same time, because it is causing glitches in keyboard output.

The keyboard I am using has no "local midi mode off" capability.
If I turn off all midi going to keyboard (or unplug the midi cable), then I can not hear previously recorded midi tracks, while recording new tracks.

Can I turn off midi through, in Auria, during recording?
So the midi being recorded, is not passed through to the outputs, during recording.
Similar to the "record monitor" feature (for audio) in the record/settings menu.

Thanks for any help with this.