ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Gary
Expert

Re: ASK THE RECORDING EXPERTS

Post by Gary » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:22 pm

Ok, so I'm basically at ground zero as far as mixing and mastering go, but i have finally got some traction with a very recent recording I'm working on. At least there seems to be mostly low noise ealthy signals and nice balance. My question:
Can anyone recommend a (free) online good quality mix/mastering resource for beginners? Dont have the bread or time to go to recording school! Thx

Auria
Audiobus
Sunrizer/Nave
BIAS/Jamup PRo
iTrack Doc
Rode NT 1
m-audio near fields
AKG phones
Axiom Pro
Several guitars / Basses

thinds
Expert

Post by thinds » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:24 pm

Lots of great info and help at @Tarekith's site http://innerportalstudio.com/guides/

Gary
Expert

Post by Gary » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:44 pm

Awesome thanks!

superhunter2
Expert

Post by superhunter2 » Sun May 03, 2015 4:12 pm

Greetings!

1. Is there any way to extend the length of tracks with no audio?? So say my mandolin part goes from 0:36 to 1:01 in my song. I'm sending my Wav files to my friend who works in (insert DAW). I want them to know them exact placing so I want my track to go from 0:00 to 1:01 so all my tracks can easily be imported without trying to match up exact location.

2. Is there any easier way of moving wav files between garageband, studio one, and auria? Neither of those export AAF files I believe? Can you keep time stamp on tracks that get moved from DAW to DAW?

I had one other question that I can't think of, but I can start with those. Thanks

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun May 03, 2015 6:54 pm

If you go to the mixdown page and choose the "stems" option, it will create an individual wav file for each track and the sizes will all be the same. Exactly what you're looking for I think.

Rim

superhunter2
Expert

Post by superhunter2 » Tue May 05, 2015 6:22 pm

That was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much! Next question... I use pro-q eq. I however wish to also the the stock compressor on the strip. However, it goes compression in the strip -> eq but i would like it to go eq -> compression. Is there any way of doing that? :/

Gary
Expert

Post by Gary » Tue May 05, 2015 7:59 pm

I'm looking for a good quality convincing piano app to use in Auria. I downloaded a couple of free apps but they don't cut it on the authenticity side of piano sound (as far as I can tell). I was thinking of Korg Module ... anyone have any experience using this in Auria? Is it compatible? Any other apps out there anyone is using? Thx.

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Tue May 05, 2015 10:49 pm

Gary wrote:I'm looking for a good quality convincing piano app to use in Auria. I downloaded a couple of free apps but they don't cut it on the authenticity side of piano sound (as far as I can tell). I was thinking of Korg Module ... anyone have any experience using this in Auria? Is it compatible? Any other apps out there anyone is using? Thx.
iGrand by IK Mulimedia sounds real good to me. I'm not much of a piano player, though. Here's a great video comparing some of the top piano apps.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY7gnvGhEh4&t=24

Gary
Expert

Post by Gary » Wed May 06, 2015 5:12 pm

Thanks supanorton. I ended up getting Module and so far its incredible, (happy to say).

MikeDee
Expert

Post by MikeDee » Mon May 11, 2015 1:42 pm

CMP Piano sounds pretty realistic. (I use iGrand Piano as well.) Unfortunately, CMP is likely never to be Audiobus compatible, since it was created by the same Dev who developed JACK (AB's competitor technology). OTOH, it does work in Auria via IAA.

superhunter2
Expert

Post by superhunter2 » Thu May 14, 2015 5:52 am

1. I use pro-q eq. I however wish to also the the stock compressor on the strip. However, it goes compression in the strip -> eq but i would like it to go eq -> compression. Is there any way of doing that? :/

2. Also, if I'm doing automation on a track, and I want to bring the volume between two points evenly down without having to make four value points, how can I do that? So I'm at -12db and I want to go down to -16db for 5 secs and then bring it back to -12db...
Thanks

Sprouticus85

Post by Sprouticus85 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:48 am

Does auria work well with iPad 2 32GB WIFI only?

ajmack302
Expert

Post by ajmack302 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:16 am

Sprouticus85 wrote:Does auria work well with iPad 2 32GB WIFI only?
Hi there, I use Auria with iPad2 32gb. It works very well but there are limitations compared to newer models with more storage. Auria is quite a large app and once you start building projects and adding plugins and files storage space gets used up pretty quick. I've become pretty disciplined in moving less important projects from my iPad to my computer (using iFunbox).
Then there is CPU usage to get used to, if you try and do too much it will cause some issues. I find this easily dealt with by freezing tracks or using mixdowns.
I would definitely recommend Auria, or you could hold out for Auria Pro.
Here's a link to my SoundCloud -
https://soundcloud.com/wepaintedmonsters
All the tracks were recorded, edited and mixed with Auria on iPad2 32gb.
Hope this helps.
Aaron

Gary
Expert

Post by Gary » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:34 pm

Regarding plug ins ... I cant seem to find anything on Fabfliters site about possible upgrades for IOS ( say Pro Q to Pro Q 2 ). I'm pretty dumb on plugs s as it turns out ... Just wondering if I should hold out for potential updates and continue to get by with the included Auria suit of plugs. Thanks

iPad Air 2, numerous instrument plug ins, Focusrite, Rode NT, Shure, amps, guitars ...

Gary
Expert

Post by Gary » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:48 pm

NEW ? Does anyone know how I can import a Superior Drummer midi file into Auria so I can play it back with Drumperfect? Here are the probs I see so far:

No export of SD midi file to iTunes folder? (Pro Tools)
No way to import into DP? (Depends on above success?)
No midi data import currently available for Auria? But ... Hopefully in Auria Pro :D

Anyone know the answers to the above? Esp. First one... Thanks